Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-12-2019, 08:23 AM   #15
RDBill
902HP 858TQ

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
Just curious what are you using for meth... something like boost juice or like VP M1?
RDBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:13 AM   #16
gdawgg

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDBill View Post
Just curious what are you using for meth... something like boost juice or like VP M1?
I use Sunoco meth, which is advertised as 99.99% methanol. I get it for $4 a gallon from a local racing parts store. The guys at LG use VP M1, but it's essentially the same stuff. I think it really depends on where you can get it locally.

There are lots of discussions on the the Corvette Forum and other forums about whether it's better to use 100% meth or a water/meth blend like boost juice, or even self-mixing at home. There's also the question of whether you're using it to reduce IATs (cool the air charge) or actually supplement fuel. My application is to reduce IATs. If you use to supplement fuel, you probably want 100% meth. If you're using to reduce IATs, there's a lot of debate on what approach is best and why, but I'm not an expert on that. If someone else is, hopefully they will chime in.
gdawgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 11:19 AM   #17
RDBill
902HP 858TQ

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdawgg View Post
I use Sunoco meth, which is advertised as 99.99% methanol. I get it for $4 a gallon from a local racing parts store. The guys at LG use VP M1, but it's essentially the same stuff. I think it really depends on where you can get it locally.

There are lots of discussions on the the Corvette Forum and other forums about whether it's better to use 100% meth or a water/meth blend like boost juice, or even self-mixing at home. There's also the question of whether you're using it to reduce IATs (cool the air charge) or actually supplement fuel. My application is to reduce IATs. If you use to supplement fuel, you probably want 100% meth. If you're using to reduce IATs, there's a lot of debate on what approach is best and why, but I'm not an expert on that. If someone else is, hopefully they will chime in.

Thank you! I'm not an expert either but was told 100% Meth is best for all of the above except for price... It is more expensive than mixing it with water but still really reasonable imo
RDBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 11:42 AM   #18
gdawgg

Quote:
Thank you! I'm not an expert either but was told 100% Meth is best for all of the above except for price... It is more expensive than mixing it with water but still really reasonable imo
Boost Juice isn't exactly cheap either. 100% meth is kind of pricey if you buy it in the 5 gallon pails, like how VP sells their M1. The key is finding a local place that lets you bring your own container that they fill for you. That's what I do, and $4 a gallon doesn't seem bad at all. Especially when compared to $39 for a 5 gallon pail of VP M1, or $35 for 4 1 gallon jugs of boost juice, both plus shipping.
Old 01-12-2019, 02:05 PM   #19
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
For reducing IATs, I’m still on the 50/50 bandwagon (Boost Juice, etc). Water can absorb much more latent heat than methanol, so a blend seems like the best way to go IMO. And you still get a little fueling from the methanol. Plus, the 50/50 mix is not flammable, so just a safer way to go.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:20 PM   #20
Markoz28

Drives: 18 ZL1 nightfall grey A10
VP M1 5 gallons to boost juice 4 gallons are about equal in price value. I would go straight meth from what I’ve researched.
Markoz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 03:30 PM   #21
grampa_ss

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I went straight meth too. I get a 5 gal bucket for right around $20. A full washer fluid reservoir tank actually lasts quite a while since its only spraying when in boost.
Old 01-12-2019, 04:53 PM   #22
gdawgg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markoz28 View Post
VP M1 5 gallons to boost juice 4 gallons are about equal in price value. I would go straight meth from what I’ve researched.
Right, price per gallon on Boost Juice and VP M1 is pretty similar, except you’re only getting half the meth with Boost Juice. Makes for pretty expensive water and pink color dye in the Boost Juice...hahaha.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:00 PM   #23
gdawgg

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampa_ss View Post
I went straight meth too. I get a 5 gal bucket for right around $20. A full washer fluid reservoir tank actually lasts quite a while since its only spraying when in boost.
Agreed, I’ve noticed the same thing. Since I’m not supplementing fuel with the meth and only spraying in boost, it seems to last a while. Plus it’s nice having the “Low Washer Fluid” warning turn on when the meth is low since it’s in the washer fluid reservoir. I’ve found it holds about a gallon.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:21 AM   #24
ramairroughneck

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Congratulations for the stellar numbers. I can’t imagine what that’s like to drive. Out of curiosity what tires are you running and from what mile per hour can you get a decent hook on a street pull?
ramairroughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 02:16 PM   #25
gdawgg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramairroughneck View Post
Congratulations for the stellar numbers. I can’t imagine what that’s like to drive. Out of curiosity what tires are you running and from what mile per hour can you get a decent hook on a street pull?
Still on the stock tires coming up on 8,000 miles. With the worn tires and colder weather, I haven't found any speed yet where I get a decent hookup, whether I roll onto the accelerator or punch it. Tires break loose immediately or eventually if I go wide open throttle. I guess that would change if I started out at 70 or 80, but I’m not willing to run it up to 150 until the weather warms up a bit and I know I’ll have decent traction. By the time it warms up and I swap out the tires, I should have a better feel for what the car can do.
Old 01-25-2022, 08:26 AM   #26
gdawgg

For anyone interested in this car, it is listed for sale in the following thread.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=601731
Attached Images