Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 05-01-2018, 09:29 PM   #1
Dustin Martin

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
NPP valve exhaust actuator failure

I own a 2016 Camaro SS that I bought 2 months ago with 9,000 miles. The first mods I did to the car were an AFE cold air intake, AFE throttle spacer and Magnaflow Cat-Back exhaust. I had the exhaust done professionally from a guy I've known for years and has worked on many of my cars. I put about 250 miles on the new exhaust and simply couldn't be happier. Last Saturday as I was rolling into my friends neighborhood, I put it in first gear to high Rev by his house and I immediately heard a loud ticking. Put it in 2nd gear and it stopped. The next time I started it the ticking came back instantly and it's loud!
I took it back to the exhaust shop, they explained that all they had done was disconnect the actuator from the old exhaust system and put it on the new one. When they were diagnosing the ticking the first time they opened up the actuator and the two screws that hold the motor in place we're loose. They never touched those screws. They were tightened at the factory. They added Loctite and reinserted the screws. They drove around the block a couple times and did not hear the ticking again.
As I drove off the ticking started again but a slightly different sound this time. They put it back on the lift and took the actuator off of the exhaust. It seems the actuator is not working properly anymore and needs to be replaced to the tune of $480. Just wanted to get some thoughts on this as all the technology on this car is new to me.

Sorry for the long explanation. Happy cruising everybody!
Dustin Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 09:59 PM   #2
Sev

Drives: 2016 2SS / 2004 Tacoma
Just a dumb thought.. put the original exhaust back on, and try to file the actuator under warranty.

"I'm going to drink you pretty, beautiful toad"
Sev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 10:31 PM   #3
ecko04

Drives: Too many to list
Not sure if GM will warranty them if the exhaust has been cut. They may default to the new exhaust being the culprit.

If I could score a deal on new actuators like these:

Exhaust Valve Control Module! AFM?
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...0&share_type=t

I would forgo the dealership altogether and have the exhaust guy install the new actuators for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
ecko04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 11:11 PM   #4
MP3BOOSTED

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE (F1A-94 FBO H/C)
i have stock actuators to the npp exhaust that i'll never use again if those will work for you?
Performance Mods: F1A-94, DSX Flex Fuel Kit, MSD Spark Plug Wires, KOOK 2" off road headers, MBRP Race catback exhaust, Pray Performance Custom Boost Cam, Rocker Arm Trunion Upgrade Kit, 7.850" Hardened Chromemoly Length Pushrods and Johnson Racing 2110R Lifters, TSP CNC'd Heads, Ported MSD intake manifold, 103mm Katech Throttle body, Forged Pistons/Rods, RPM Meth kit, DSX Aux Fuel system, AEM Failsafe and banks gauge, LT4 HPFP, LT4 injectors, BMR motor mounts, Hurst Short Throw, Manley SS exhaust valves

Videos of my car? Check here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNi...Qy1OL4NVGlPogw
MP3BOOSTED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 02:42 PM   #5
Dustin Martin

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Thank you guys for taking the time to respond, as a quick fix I just removed both NPP valves as both of them had failed. I unplug them and zip-tied the wires up and away. I don't see any reason why I cannot just run without them. I drove the car all weekend and it seems fine, just loud! In my opinion the NPP valve actuator is a bad product
Dustin Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 01:22 AM   #6
Stevenb1375

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Do you still have theses

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP3BOOSTED View Post
i have stock actuators to the npp exhaust that i'll never use again if those will work for you?
Do you still have those? I need 1 and my extended warranty is not wanting to cover it. Thanks.
Stevenb1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 07:37 AM   #7
MP3BOOSTED

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE (F1A-94 FBO H/C)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevenb1375 View Post
Do you still have those? I need 1 and my extended warranty is not wanting to cover it. Thanks.
I sold them a while back
Performance Mods: F1A-94, DSX Flex Fuel Kit, MSD Spark Plug Wires, KOOK 2" off road headers, MBRP Race catback exhaust, Pray Performance Custom Boost Cam, Rocker Arm Trunion Upgrade Kit, 7.850" Hardened Chromemoly Length Pushrods and Johnson Racing 2110R Lifters, TSP CNC'd Heads, Ported MSD intake manifold, 103mm Katech Throttle body, Forged Pistons/Rods, RPM Meth kit, DSX Aux Fuel system, AEM Failsafe and banks gauge, LT4 HPFP, LT4 injectors, BMR motor mounts, Hurst Short Throw, Manley SS exhaust valves

Videos of my car? Check here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNi...Qy1OL4NVGlPogw
MP3BOOSTED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 05:15 PM   #8
Jay376

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS, 2019 Camaro 1LE
Has anyone installed a new actuator? My old one was skipping and I bought a new one but it refuses to work. I actually bought TWO and they both don’t work. I plug in the old one, and it still turns as it’s suppose to. Do I need to reprogram or anything?
Jay376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 08:29 AM   #9
cam765

Drives: 2019 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay376 View Post
Has anyone installed a new actuator? My old one was skipping and I bought a new one but it refuses to work. I actually bought TWO and they both don’t work. I plug in the old one, and it still turns as it’s suppose to. Do I need to reprogram or anything?
Are the part numbers the same? The actuators do no need programming, you should be able to swap these without consequence.
cam765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 04:24 PM   #10
easttxss

Drives: '16 2SS M6
NPP valve exhaust actuator failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay376 View Post

Yes, they need to be programmed. Has to be done by a dealer tech or someone with a pass through device and a subscription to GM service.

Mine had to be relearned after changing the exhaust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'14 Fusion Titanium 2.0T
'83 Jeep Wagoneer
easttxss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 09:51 PM   #11
BlackKnight2SS18
Account Suspended

Drives: 2018 2SS Redline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin Martin View Post
Thank you guys for taking the time to respond, as a quick fix I just removed both NPP valves as both of them had failed. I unplug them and zip-tied the wires up and away. I don't see any reason why I cannot just run without them. I drove the car all weekend and it seems fine, just loud! In my opinion the NPP valve actuator is a bad product
I agree. The more new stuff they add to these cars... the more stuff with the potential to break. The NPP valves are junk imhe.
BlackKnight2SS18 is offline   Reply With Quote