Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 06-15-2022, 05:41 PM   #1
F419sr1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
XDI HP fuel system

Who is running them and your thoughts. Pros cons. I haven't been able to find much feed back on them.
Old 06-15-2022, 06:17 PM   #2
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by F419sr1 View Post
Who is running them and your thoughts. Pros cons. I haven't been able to find much feed back on them.
The overwhelming consensus on HP Tuners forum is that the XDI injectors are the best large DI injectors available. FIC is only +30% and really hit or miss quality from the posts over there, although I know KingLT1 has had good luck. LPE is +52% but tough to get a good cold idle and zero support. If I had to do it again I’d do XDI +65%. Just my 2 cents.

Edit: I lied. If I had to do it again I would go right to port injection.
Old 06-15-2022, 06:25 PM   #3
F419sr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
The overwhelming consensus on HP Tuners forum is that the XDI injectors are the best large DI injectors available. FIC is only +30% and really hit or miss quality from the posts over there, although I know KingLT1 has had good luck. LPE is +52% but tough to get a good cold idle and zero support. If I had to do it again I’d do XDI +65%. Just my 2 cents.

Edit: I lied. If I had to do it again I would go right to port injection.
I have heard the same about their injectors. I should have been more clear on my post. I'm looking for information on their HP pump.
Old 06-15-2022, 06:36 PM   #4
Joshinator99

Quote:
I have heard the same about their injectors. I should have been more clear on my post. I'm looking for information on their HP pump.
Ok, I got you there too. My brother was going that direction with his 880 WHP Z06 and traded a ton emails with Uwe and his minions. They (XDI) admitted that you have to check this pump constantly, and that they had a ton of failures in the past. They’ve tried some different stuff as of late, but didn’t want to sell it anyone unless they were already running XDI injectors and agreed to essentially be a Guinea pig with the pump update of the month… he was stunned at how unpolished the XDI pump was and ended up backing out to go port injection.
Old 06-15-2022, 06:43 PM   #5
F419sr1

Quote:
Ok, I got you there too. My brother was going that direction with his 880 WHP Z06 and traded a ton emails with Uwe and his minions. They (XDI) admitted that you have to check this pump constantly, and that they had a ton of failures in the past. They’ve tried some different stuff as of late, but didn’t want to sell it anyone unless they were already running XDI injectors and agreed to essentially be a Guinea pig with the pump update of the month… he was stunned at how unpolished the XDI pump was and ended up backing out to go port injection.
Thanks. Iv seen a few go up for sale and it always made me think there is a problem with the system. Iv never seen anyone talking about how good they are. Jannetty is doing another one at their shop. I'm at the end of both factory injectors and high side pump.
Old 06-15-2022, 07:08 PM   #6
Joshinator99

Quote:
Thanks. Iv seen a few go up for sale and it always made me think there is a problem with the system. Iv never seen anyone talking about how good they are. Jannetty is doing another one at their shop. I'm at the end of both factory injectors and high side pump.
My brother is a smart dude with an incredible eye towards the technical side of things. When he said “No way”, that was enough for me. Just my 2 cents of course.

If you’re staying with DI, then a +43 cam, LPE BB HPFP, and XDI +65 injectors being fed by a Fore Triple in tank system is probably the cream of the crop. My mistake was a +32 cam which is limiting the LPE BB HPFP, and I don’t love the LPE injectors either. The lack of support is surprisingly bad and they leave 13% on the table too. Not good.
Old 06-15-2022, 07:13 PM   #7
CW3SF

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1 M6
I’m running the LPE HPFP and XDI +30s. Install was super easy (done myself) and my tuner had no issues whatsoever with setting them up and/or dialing them in.
Kong Stage X Port, NW103, LPE HPFP, XDI +30 Injectors, ARH Headers, Flex Fuel, JMS Booster, AWE Touring, Elite E2-X CC. Stock heads, stock cam, stock pulleys: Tuned by KingLT1. 740whp Uncorrected on e50
CW3SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 07:27 PM   #8
F419sr1

Quote:
My brother is a smart dude with an incredible eye towards the technical side of things. When he said “No way”, that was enough for me. Just my 2 cents of course.

If you’re staying with DI, then a +43 cam, LPE BB HPFP, and XDI +65 injectors being fed by a Fore Triple in tank system is probably the cream of the crop. My mistake was a +32 cam which is limiting the LPE BB HPFP, and I don’t love the LPE injectors either. The lack of support is surprisingly bad and they leave 13% on the table too. Not good.
That was the idea was DI. I'm at 32%. I do have the fore for the low side
Old 06-15-2022, 09:14 PM   #9
Joshinator99

Quote:
That was the idea was DI. I'm at 32%. I do have the fore for the low side
Guess it depends how far you want to push it. I’m going back to the dyno on 7/11 with my ported Whipple to see if I can get 1K WHP with DI only, no meth. My fueling was solid at 927 WHP but the blower was out of steam…I’m hoping Kong helped that situation. But that dyno day should give you an idea of how much you can fuel with the +32 lobe and LPE HPFP. I’m also running Fore triple in tank setup so that should be good data for you since it’ll be a solid comparison to what you’d be running. Happy to share what I find out in July.
Old 06-16-2022, 01:59 AM   #10
F419sr1

Quote:
Guess it depends how far you want to push it. I’m going back to the dyno on 7/11 with my ported Whipple to see if I can get 1K WHP with DI only, no meth. My fueling was solid at 927 WHP but the blower was out of steam…I’m hoping Kong helped that situation. But that dyno day should give you an idea of how much you can fuel with the +32 lobe and LPE HPFP. I’m also running Fore triple in tank setup so that should be good data for you since it’ll be a solid comparison to what you’d be running. Happy to share what I find out in July.
That would be great. Iv been conservative with the car. It's a road course car so I'm not pushing the limits. My original build had meth and something went wrong with the system and I lost a motor. I'm don't want to do any type of stand alone fuel system. Looking forward to seeing your results.
Old 06-16-2022, 06:48 AM   #11
Joshinator99

Quote:
That would be great. Iv been conservative with the car. It's a road course car so I'm not pushing the limits. My original build had meth and something went wrong with the system and I lost a motor. I'm don't want to do any type of stand alone fuel system. Looking forward to seeing your results.
Have you had any issue with the Fore low side in a road course application? Only drawback is it ditches the in-tank bucket so there’s concern about the pumps getting uncovered around a hard corner. I haven’t seen that but I also haven’t taken it in a road course yet. Chris Crawford recommended to have at least 1/4 tank of fuel before going WOT and that’s worked out great so far.

We should start a list of the number of cars that have lost a motor due to a meth issue…it’s not a small list! Don’t blame you for wanted a straightforward fuel system this time around. But I’ll be in touch.
Old 06-16-2022, 07:56 AM   #12
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
The XDI +65's and 30's work really well. The +30's require very little tuning. The +65's require going through the rail pressure table and lowering pressure in the idle tip/in cells until you get injector Ms to .8 or higher. Then they drive like stock.

+32 cam paired with the LPE DI pump won't allow you to fully utilize the XDI +65's.

My brothers C7Z made 901whp on a Mustang Dyno @ 15psi on E62. He went down from a 80mm to a 76mm pulley on his 2650 and now fueling is maxed @ E60. I have rail turned down as low as you can go (2175psi) to keep pressure consistent.

As Josh said you really need a +43 cam to take full advantage of the big injectors but as you can see even a +32 cam will still provide enough fuel to make well into the 900's on E60.

Far as FIC injectors. I have tuned a couple sets. One set would misfire @ LT4 pressure (2900psi) the other set wouldn't. Turned down they worked great. Bigger injectors don't really need to run LT4 pressure and you take some strain off the high and low side by doing so.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 08:20 AM   #13
F419sr1

Quote:
Have you had any issue with the Fore low side in a road course application? Only drawback is it ditches the in-tank bucket so there’s concern about the pumps getting uncovered around a hard corner. I haven’t seen that but I also haven’t taken it in a road course yet. Chris Crawford recommended to have at least 1/4 tank of fuel before going WOT and that’s worked out great so far.

We should start a list of the number of cars that have lost a motor due to a meth issue…it’s not a small list! Don’t blame you for wanted a straightforward fuel system this time around. But I’ll be in touch.
I did. Couldn't get a 20 minute session in without a problem. Once I got around 3/4 it would suck air on hard right hand turns. We pulled the tank and stuffed the center with fuel cell foam. I'm in my second season and so far no issues but I top off after every session just to be safe. Looking forward to seeing your results. Thanks for your input
Old 06-16-2022, 08:27 AM   #14
F419sr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
The XDI +65's and 30's work really well. The +30's require very little tuning. The +65's require going through the rail pressure table and lowering pressure in the idle tip/in cells until you get injector Ms to .8 or higher. Then they drive like stock.

+32 cam paired with the LPE DI pump won't allow you to fully utilize the XDI +65's.

My brothers C7Z made 901whp on a Mustang Dyno @ 15psi on E62. He went down from a 80mm to a 76mm pulley on his 2650 and now fueling is maxed @ E60. I have rail turned down as low as you can go (2175psi) to keep pressure consistent.

As Josh said you really need a +43 cam to take full advantage of the big injectors but as you can see even a +32 cam will still provide enough fuel to make well into the 900's on E60.

Far as FIC injectors. I have tuned a couple sets. One set would misfire @ LT4 pressure (2900psi) the other set wouldn't. Turned down they worked great. Bigger injectors don't really need to run LT4 pressure and you take some strain off the high and low side by doing so.
I don't know much about tuning and pressures. I was told going to a lower pressure with a larger injector is like a wash and I wouldn't gain anything. That's the way I understood what I was told. It's also possible I miss understood what he was explaining. Either was the take away was it wasn't worth doing. I had ordered a big bore pump and sent it back.