Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-24-2018, 08:21 AM   #113
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliveguy5 View Post
I'm still struggling to see how this is a GM issue.
It's not a GM issue. Car went off road and experienced an impact hard enough to trip the airbags. If GM would have covered it, it would have to cover every person who hit curbs on the street instead of insurance covering it. Gm is generous covering track related failures but off road excursions and impacts you have to draw the line.
Nsxmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 08:27 AM   #114
RSFR

Drives: ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliveguy5 View Post
I'm still struggling to see how this is a GM issue. I've hit a few curbs on the track that caused my tire(s) to leave the ground and my airbags didn't go off. How hard you hit that curb surely looks as so what attributed to the car thinking you were crashing. Taking this car to a track is intended use. Smacking a curb that hard is not intended use of the vehicle and while it sucks to have to eat the repair cost I'm sure this is why GM denied your claim.
As I explain in the video, it was a combo of the bump + the slide that made the airbag system "predict" a roll over. This systems ability to "predict" roll overs is garbage, that's also why ZR2s are popping airbags while driving over rocks at 5mph. If you're satisfied with the results and quality, that's great, but doesn't mean that I am.

The simple truth of the matter is, in the same conditions, no other manufactures cars would pop their airbags. I know this, because I've seen literally hundreds of other cars do the same thing at the same track with no issues.
RSFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 08:30 AM   #115
RSFR

Drives: ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsxmatt View Post
It's not a GM issue. Car went off road and experienced an impact hard enough to trip the airbags.
This is false. The car didn't go "off road" (not to mention that's not an excuse for airbags to deploy), and there was no impact.
RSFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 08:41 AM   #116
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSFR View Post
This is false. The car didn't go "off road" (not to mention that's not an excuse for airbags to deploy), and there was no impact.
The track is the road, the rumble strips/curb/dirt is considered off road. You said you went off the track and made impact with the curb coming back on. I'm just going off of what you said. You seemed to be ok with it at first, now you've become bitter. I'm sorry, but it's not GM's fault.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:50 AM   #117
Aliveguy5

Drives: 2017 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
You smoked that curb dude. I'm not sure why you say there was no impact. There was a helluva impact.
Aliveguy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 06:52 PM   #118
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Quote:
The airbag in the seat did not deploy, I don't think there is any damage there. The seatbelt is locked, so I don't know what that takes to fix. I'm dropping it off at the dealer on Tuesday, and we'll see what they say.
When the seat belt locks, you have to replace it. Just like in a collision.
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:44 PM   #119
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Go back to video frame by frame.. you're in the grass. VLC or MPC can you can you your off road yeehhooo general lee moment.

That is what track insurance is for.. to cover where you street insurance lets off.

Rule of track - don't take anything out there you can't afford to leave there.. or have insurance to cover for (which has only been case in last.. 5-8 years?)

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 02:08 AM   #120
PorkchopExpress

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 Garnet Red
Not sure why you have so many haters, but it sucks regardless! Glad to see you and the car recovered 100%.
PorkchopExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 04:06 AM   #121
matt fe2o3

Drives: 2SS Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkchopExpress View Post
Not sure why you have so many haters, but it sucks regardless! Glad to see you and the car recovered 100%.
I agree. A lot of people dwell on forums so you have to ignore a lot of it. Personally I find the technical and after reports very helpful.

Car looks great. I have a 2SS and LOL - wish I has a ZL1.....
Old 09-25-2018, 08:42 AM   #122
Aliveguy5

Drives: 2017 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkchopExpress View Post
Hater? Hardly Mr. Troll. Just pointing out the facts. The car went off road, hit a curb on a hard slide and the airbags blew. Explain to me where the hate is?
Aliveguy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 08:51 AM   #123
Lafourche1

Drives: 2019 CLA 450 Mercedes
I will add that normal track day insurance may not help in this event, either. There is the 10% deductible from the top. On this car that would be ~$6,000. The other part is that track day insurance doesn’t cover timed events. There are some add-ons that you can buy, on top of your original policy that may cover TT or Time Attack heats. However, standard track day insurance doesn’t cover time attack type of competition.

Usually, track day insurance is designed for HPDE events. A major sponsor (Hooked on Driving, Chin, NASA, PCA) is required.
Lafourche1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 09:15 AM   #124
Realist

Drives: No Camaro :(
I think GM should have covered the repairs. Especially if you had no rim or tire damage. The safety manufacturers are required to put into cars is great 99.9999% of the time. In this case, airbag deployment wasn’t necessary. If they didn’t go off, it appears the OP could have continued the lap without issue in my eyes.
Realist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 09:30 AM   #125
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realist View Post
If they didn’t go off, it appears the OP could have continued the lap without issue in my eyes.
If he wouldn't have gone off road and hit a curb he could have continued also

He hit the curb with the amount of force that the crash sensors detect in a street collision or roll over. If they made them less sensitive then
they wouldn't go off in real wrecks. That's way more of a liability for chevy.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:47 AM   #126
Realist

Drives: No Camaro :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsxmatt View Post
If he wouldn't have gone off road and hit a curb he could have continued also

He hit the curb with the amount of force that the crash sensors detect in a street collision or roll over. If they made them less sensitive then
they wouldn't go off in real wrecks. That's way more of a liability for chevy.
I get it. There is a very fine line, each and every situation could never be duplicated to fine tune airbag deployment software when only 100% necessary.
Realist is offline   Reply With Quote