Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-11-2020, 01:47 AM   #1
DonRobII

Drives: White 2018 Chevrolet Camaro LT
Turtle Wax Seal and Shine Strip

Does anyone know of a sure fire way to safely strip Turtle Wax Seal and Shine? I plan on installing a hood wrap here soon, and I know this stuff is pretty resistant to a lot of chemicals. Any suggestions are appreciated!
DonRobII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 10:00 AM   #2
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
You will be fine applying wrap without removing the Seal n shine. Chemical Guys Clean Slate will remove it. Chemical Guys Citrus Wash and Gloss will strip at high concentration.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 01:12 PM   #3
DonRobII

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
You will be fine applying wrap without removing the Seal n shine. Chemical Guys Clean Slate will remove it. Chemical Guys Citrus Wash and Gloss will strip at high concentration.
Oh wow ok great. I am glad to hear that. I will just wash the car as normal then and apply the vinyl. I appreciate you for helping me out.
Old 02-11-2020, 06:40 PM   #4
gchu

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonRobII View Post
Oh wow ok great. I am glad to hear that. I will just wash the car as normal then and apply the vinyl. I appreciate you for helping me out.
I was looking to do something similar - a lot of what I read/saw was wipe down the surface with isopropyl alcohol first

I haven't pulled the trigger yet because I was trying to figure out how to handle the edges... wrap around or get it as close as possible.....

Do you mind sharing your thoughts?
gchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 10:45 PM   #5
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by gchu View Post
I was looking to do something similar - a lot of what I read/saw was wipe down the surface with isopropyl alcohol first
You just need tyhe surface to be clean and without major defects. If you use alcohol to remove any polishing oils, grease, etc don't go over 15%.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 12:44 AM   #6
DonRobII

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchu View Post

I haven't pulled the trigger yet because I was trying to figure out how to handle the edges... wrap around or get it as close as possible.....

Do you mind sharing your thoughts?
If your car is clean of any waxes or sealants already, I would follow up with the alcohol wipe down. Most of what I've seen is a 50/50 ratio, but as KirkH stated don't go too strong.

When it comes to the edges of the wrap a heat gun, or blow dryer will be your best friend. Use a little heat when folding over edges to help the wrap flow smoothly & you should be wrinkle free. Remember to not apply too much heat.