Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Phastek Performance

Old 01-29-2020, 10:35 AM   #29
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
They know how fast the ZLE is. Having an 'excuse' for why the 500 losses saves face, at least long enough for people to buy the CFTP before the word is out.
This sounds like a ridiculous excuse for any manufactor except ford and their hype machine marketing and reliance on their fans tow the line... semi serious lol
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 10:35 AM   #30
ZRacerLE

Drives: The DSSV Twins: ZR2 and ZLE A10
Well that's just great... no LT5 ZLE for us. :(

ZRacerLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 10:35 AM   #31
NW-99SS

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
Ford's never done lap times. Hell I am surprised they even did acceleration times

I love these reviews. So much more entertaining than MT. Always been a fan of Jason Cammisa.

Even if it did, to me the CFTP still doesn't justify its price tag.
I do appreciate these videos. I agree on price tag justification, even without dealer ADMs on the hard to secure CFTP allocations, it's simply not worth the price. As stated before, on a road course, it needs to clearly beat a ZL1 1LE A10. It has yet to even place ahead of one.

Rocket - the prepped strip testing is best done between the RE and base GT500. Might as well allow for a sticky tire change. We all know with launch traction, the ZL1 has no chance.
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
NW-99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 10:37 AM   #32
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13vertss View Post
One thing I noticed, neither car put in a impressive lap time. Heck a reg zl1 had a faster time of 1:26.16. A ss 1le did it in 1:28.29 which is the same time as the 350R.
The track looked a little damp in this test to me. Or - maybe I haven't had enough coffee yet.

I just found the MTOD test - and it was a '15, not a '16 - not that it matters. Still - different cars, different days/conditions, etc. It was the same driver at least, but it's still not entirely scientific. Fair enough point though.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 10:41 AM   #33
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
You want to talk about GT500 advantages, they brought a different Camaro for the 1/4 test because they said the 1LE had no chance lol.

I agree, it lost fair and square. Even if it was on new tires, even if it would have won like RP suggested it would have to me the CFTP does not justify its price tag at all. Tasking anyone to beat what a ZLE is capable of is a big ask of any make or model. That's just how good the ZLE is. Ford shot their shot, and you can see by the price tag what not planning ahead does.

As far as the worn out tires I easily think that would matter more on the road course than the 1/4. You get heat in them and they will grip enough for a straightline, vs out on the road course trying to keep a 4K car from sliding around. Maybe someone more experience can chime in.

Yep. GM did their homework and studied for weeks, Ford crammed the night before. Performance wise seems to lack, but 3 out of 4 still chose it over the ZLE. I bet the people that have them are loving them and enjoying them and good for them. I don't think the price tag is worth it though.

Yeah Ford seemed to screw that one up. I wonder if they will pull a GM and send on back for retesting (They did that with a C7Z06). Judging by the Twister orange paint, this looks like the same 500 that has been in several off these videos. So it sure has been beat on recently. Either way, can only test whats supplied so.

Ford's never done lap times. Hell I am surprised they even did acceleration times

I love these reviews. So much more entertaining than MT. Always been a fan of Jason Cammisa.

Even if it did, to me the CFTP still doesn't justify its price tag.
Didn't ford release vir lap times for the gt, then were reminded why they don't do that?

Also while they say the zle had no chance, that's not factually true. The zle and zl1 and only separated by 2 tenths or so according to most stats. The zl1 has a better chance but it's not a huge difference. I do agree that using two zl1s wasn't my favorite part, they should have stuck to the zle the whole test.

The gt500 would do better with new tires, but if two seconds better remains to be seen. Especially after a few hotlaps.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 10:43 AM   #34
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13vertss View Post
One thing I noticed, neither car put in a impressive lap time. Heck a reg zl1 had a faster time of 1:26.16. A ss 1le did it in 1:28.29 which is the same time as the 350R.
They said they suspected the track was running slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyBeefcake87 View Post
This sounds like a ridiculous excuse for any manufactor except ford and their hype machine marketing and reliance on their fans tow the line... semi serious lol
LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-99SS View Post
I do appreciate these videos. I agree on price tag justification, even without dealer ADMs on the hard to secure CFTP allocations, it's simply not worth the price. As stated before, on a road course, it needs to clearly beat a ZL1 1LE A10. It has yet to even place ahead of one.

Rocket - the prepped strip testing is best done between the RE and base GT500. Might as well allow for a sticky tire change. We all know with launch traction, the ZL1 has no chance.
Agreed ^
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
The track looked a little damp in this test to me. Or - maybe I haven't had enough coffee yet.

I just found the MTOD test - and it was a '15, not a '16 - not that it matters. Still - different cars, different days/conditions, etc. It was the same driver at least, but it's still not entirely scientific. Fair enough point though.
As mentioned above, in the video they felt the track was slow
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 10:47 AM   #35
rocket403

Drives: 80 Cutlass 403, 2010 FF RT
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-99SS View Post
We know that the Challenger is not a Track car and should loose in that test just as we know that at the Drag Strip the Challenger is at home so line them up test with stock rubber and then with the same DR and any other minor tweeks see what a good driver can do in each.
1998 Monte Carlo SS
1980 Cutlass Supreme 403
rocket403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 10:52 AM   #36
shaffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyBeefcake87 View Post
Didn't ford release vir lap times for the gt, then were reminded why they don't do that?

Also while they say the zle had no chance, that's not factually true. The zle and zl1 and only separated by 2 tenths or so according to most stats. The zl1 has a better chance but it's not a huge difference. I do agree that using two zl1s wasn't my favorite part, they should have stuck to the zle the whole test.

The gt500 would do better with new tires, but if two seconds better remains to be seen. Especially after a few hotlaps.
Sort of lol according to R&T the press GT had some problems so Ford sent another one with Billy Johnson and that's why they set a time at VIR.

And I agree with you said about the ZL1 and ZLE times, Just thought it was funny how Blaq loves to say the GT500 has every advantage and then in this test for the Camaro they used a different car to give it a better shot bc they didn't think the 1LE would do good lol
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(

Last edited by shaffe; 01-29-2020 at 11:05 AM.
Old 01-29-2020, 10:58 AM   #37
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
It's not apples-to-apples, but add some power to ZL1 and bald eagles would sing the National Anthem.

Also - it's probably also why Ford didn't want to quote any times except for acceleration...

I love their reviews, HAHAHA. There wasn't much that was that unexpected though. Everyone knows Hellcats are not to be trifled with on the street. They're a sticky tire away from boggin' deep. I figured the imp would be a better usable car (which is why I knew I couldn't put up with a 1LE, lol). But ZLE is at home on a track and that's where it proves over-and-over to shine - YEARS after it's been out.

And sorry - I just watched a Cleetus video...
Hell yeah, brother The ZL1's did extremely well, and the entire video was a-mazing. Freakin' see you later.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 11:08 AM   #38
Engyj

Drives: Miata
Hey guys, James here from Throttle House.

Just to clear some things up about the tires, the GT500 supplied was from Ford USA. And we were incredibly disappointed when we saw how not-fresh they were. From a PR perspective, Ford made a bit of a doozy here, because really the GT500 would have won with fresh tires, as Randy stated in the video. Thomas and I make these things happen as only the two of us. Between flying Randy and Jason out, organizing the track, the insurance, the cars, the accommodation and everything else, some things are going to slip through the cracks in terms of logistics.

We hope it never happens but we don't have a budget like bigger outlets do, or the flexibility to switch dates. It's just a shame that this was something Ford could control, and didn't. Perhaps they underestimated the exposure of the channel? I don't know. But like you (and a million mustang owners), I wish the tires were fresher, and I was upset on the day to find they weren't.
Engyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 11:08 AM   #39
joe944

Drives: 18' A10 ZL1 , 18' F150, 04' MSM
Would have been nice if they had taken the approach in Camissa's other video and put the same brand new rubber on all 3.

The GT500 keeping up with the 1LE on a softer ride is impressive. If dollars are not in the equation, I would definitely consider it over the ZL1.

When it comes time to put your money down, though, hard to argue with the ZL1.

^^ Thanks for putting the video together Throttle House dudes. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
joe944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 11:11 AM   #40
shaffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe944 View Post
Would have been nice if they had taken the approach in Camissa's other video and put the same brand new rubber on all 3.

The GT500 keeping up with the 1LE on a softer ride is impressive. If dollars are not in the equation, I would definitely consider it over the ZL1.

When it comes time to put your money down, though, hard to argue with the ZL1.
That is my biggest take away out of every review. The ZL1 and ZLE is an insane value, and insane performer.

I hope to see some more tests with the base 500 and Zl1.

I think it's safe to say GM wins this gen performance wise and performance per dollar wise. Nothing you can do but tip your cap to them
Old 01-29-2020, 11:13 AM   #41
Silveradoss573

Drives: Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo View Post
This is the drag race i was dieing to see...a regular ZL1 A10 smoked those dudes from a dig! Love it!!!
Lol only because the guy left like a second later.

In the end, 3 out of the 4 of them would go with the Gt500 and that will stand out to people watching more than anything else on this review.
Silveradoss573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 11:18 AM   #42
Checkmate1

Drives: Garnet Red / ZL1 1LE
Quote:
They said they suspected the track was running slow

LOL

Agreed ^

As mentioned above, in the video they felt the track was slow
Willows Springs was re-paved recently. That explains the lower track times compared to a few years ago.