Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-04-2020, 02:16 PM   #1
OVRKLL

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE...makes me go YeeeHaw!
So how did you learn how to tune?

Just curious how you all learned how to tune your car?
Trial and error!
Or tutored by someone?

I'm starting to get interested in learning how to tune, but would like to do it the correct way, so to speak, so I don't make costly mistakes along the way.

I've been told (by tuners at a shop) it will take years to learn how to tune a car.
However, I'm not talking about tuning every motor/trans that's out there, just the ability to do my own...and maybe others IF I get good at it before I'm too old to think!
I'll be retiring in about 3yrs and thought this would be something good to do/learn.

I've watched Goat Garage, good info, IF you know what he's talking about.
I also see there's a Tuning School, which is kind of the way I'm leaning right now.
I don't even have an HPTuner unit yet, and I should have purchased one instead of having a Performance shop tune my car after the header install to the tune of $600!

Anyway, it would be good to know how most of you learned to tune.
Old 01-04-2020, 04:34 PM   #2
geaux_tigerss

Drives: 2019 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4
Goat rope garage, hours and hours and hours in the hptuners forums, and trial and error.
geaux_tigerss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 05:49 PM   #3
LARRY01Z28

Drives: 2001Camaro Z28
hp tuners website seems to have a ton of info. I just got hp tuners myself. going to tune my Tahoe first. just delete dod and make a few minor adjustments. then im going to tune my sons Colorado. ill probably let a professional tune my camaro.
LARRY01Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 08:11 PM   #4
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
+1 for Goat Rope Garage, here's a playlist for his tuning basics series:

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 06:36 PM   #5
wookwook

Drives: 18 Camaro LS M6
From my experience:

Assuming you have a gen 6 its a new science. On my second re-read of TSC GenV level 3 right now. Assuming you are interested in doing more than just following a recipe (good advice), check in with Andre at HP Academy and the goat guy I've seen too.

I just did a detailed post on my journey here:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=564007

I would like to say it is hard to screw up your car unless your just sh*t guessing and making completely illogical changes. Gen 6 Ecu has a tendency to auto correct, so its more of a negotiation effort. If you don't have an O2 Sensor that's the first order of business. Make it so you can easily connect to your VCM Scanner in the car while road testing.

I would highly suggest looking into learning about Fail Safe. Its an undeveloped area in the realm of Gen 5-6 street/track/mod. Right now all we seem to have is a Visual Alarm. There's no access to command reduced timing on a fault (meth/nitrous) as far as I know. But with minor tuning bolt ons, auto correct is built in with auto corrections in TP, timing, Fuel trims.

https://www.aemelectronics.com/files...fe%20Gauge.pdf

For the most part at the end of the day- learn AFR/Lambda. You will want to make sure you can walk away from an afternoon road tuning session with your fuel ratio intact.

Like I said its hard to screw it up doing small incremental adjustments. But is also very rewarding. I am planning a Water Meth install, and so far no one has posted W/M in I4, so I should be contribute something there, after we thaw out up here in NH.
wookwook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 07:30 PM   #6
OVRKLL

Yes, I watched a vid on Lambda and AFR, wide band stuff as well as enhanced performance.
Now I have two more links to check out!

I think I need to get an HPTuner unit and do a data log, so I can plug it into my computer and actually see tables.
Right now I'm trying to follow what people are doing on their computer, but have no idea where they are at in the tune.
I guess I may want to also get a sacrificial car/truck to do some testing...in small increments of course.
So it seems no one has attended the Tuner School training, of course it does cost some good mod money!

Thank you all for the advice and suggestions!
Old 01-05-2020, 08:14 PM   #7
OVRKLL

Will the HPTuner unit tune 4cyl & 6cyl cars as well?
Old 01-06-2020, 06:15 AM   #8
wookwook

Drives: 18 Camaro LS M6
yes the I4 is a tuners paradise ( i'm I4 and seeing about 350 peak tq over factory 295 ). You can read your ecu file and look around there's no risk of anything going wrong there. You cannot write unless you pay for licenses in the app. Even if all you do is turn off a feature or 2 and calibrate your MAF it's worthwhile if you want to go this route. There's little to no headroom on the 6 and 8's unless you start bolting up. There's a lot of free info out there that is worth viewing but if you want to get zeroed in, then getting into an organized lesson plan is the way to go. Good Luck with it!
wookwook is offline   Reply With Quote