Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-01-2019, 06:28 PM   #85
Biscuit.fr

Drives: Red hot ZL1 A10 2017
Strange

I have some friends in France who have;
-regular 2ss officially imported with EU map (EU HMI)
Don’t know about the GPS signal?
-American ZL1 with PDR and Eu HMI

Both have nav
(EU HMI map)
There is no onstar in France!
I just wonder where is the gps signal for the nav come from if there is no onstar info with the gps antenna....

Tomorrow I will try
PDR record with track signal and sound and nav,
Then remove the onstar fuse to see what’s going on with
-mic
-own gps for track PDR
-nav signal
Still confused about the nav gps
(Shouldn’t go through onstar but have it’s own GPS!!!!)
Biscuit.fr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 06:33 PM   #86
mbnwa

Drives: 18 NGM ZL1 1LE
If the HMI is specifically for EU maybe it has different connectors vs the US HMI?

When I disconnect the OnStar modem (removing the modem but leaving the OnStar module plugged into the car) I also lose the compass on my dash it goes to CAL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
17' Camaro 2SS A8 Vert Upgrades: Pray MSD IM/95mm TB/E85/Tune / Roto-fab CAI / GM Dark Taillights / LED Turn's with VLED Resisters / LED Reverse Lights / JWM Side Markers / Factory UQT PDR (CTS-V) / BMR DSL, MM010 / TSP 1 7/8 / Front Camera / Eyebrow Harness / Elite Engineering E2-X / AEM Wideband with Aeroforce single pod / HD Radio / OnStar Delete / RPM Roll Bar
mbnwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 06:41 PM   #87
Biscuit.fr

If I understand all the topic,
If you don’t need the mic and Bluetooth (hand free phone)
Just pulling the fuse will have the same effect!

-you will loose onstar
-you will loose mic and Bluetooth
-you will loose gps

So nav won’t work
Compass neither

But you still got a full PDR
Because camera got its own mic and PDR its own gps
Old 01-01-2019, 06:44 PM   #88
mbnwa

However from my experience the method I used I still retained Bluetooth and voice commands.

17' Camaro 2SS A8 Vert Upgrades: Pray MSD IM/95mm TB/E85/Tune / Roto-fab CAI / GM Dark Taillights / LED Turn's with VLED Resisters / LED Reverse Lights / JWM Side Markers / Factory UQT PDR (CTS-V) / BMR DSL, MM010 / TSP 1 7/8 / Front Camera / Eyebrow Harness / Elite Engineering E2-X / AEM Wideband with Aeroforce single pod / HD Radio / OnStar Delete / RPM Roll Bar
Old 01-01-2019, 06:54 PM   #89
Biscuit.fr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbnwa View Post
I just got a custom L1-L2 filter, I just need to connect it up and see how things work and if it blocks the cellular reception or if it allows it to pass due to the L2 freq being added.
Where are you in your process with those filters?
Understand you keep everything except onstar just filtering network and cellular...
If so that is the solution everybody want!
Old 01-01-2019, 07:00 PM   #90
mbnwa

I just had eye surgery, after my recovery (2 or so weeks) I plan to pick back up the process of testing the new filters I have.

Old 01-01-2019, 07:11 PM   #91
Biscuit.fr

Ok
Wish you the best recovery and no issue for 2019.
Let us know when you will have more info...
Old 01-03-2019, 07:32 AM   #92
Biscuit.fr

I got confirmation that onstar Europe is ending 31st December 2020.
No more onstar there after....
Old 12-19-2019, 05:57 AM   #93
STEVE41

Drives: 2016 SS
where is the fuse box for the onstar fuse?
STEVE41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 09:53 AM   #94
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
onstar fuse is under the hood. It's pretty obvious from the label.

GPS signal for navigation comes from a dedicated gps receiver that is directly connected to the HMI unit. It doesn't use onstar gps.

The dashboard compass does use the onstar gps ... so it will show "CAL" or nothing when you disable that.

The onstar module also controls the in-car microphone, so if you totally cut power to the unit, you will lose voice controls (this same microphone is what is used with android auto and carplay).

I'd recommend either killing the module via the fuse if you dont care about the microphone or removing the radio board. Unless you have some kind of replacement antenna wire that filters out the signal or totally blocks it while mimicing the same load as the antenna to ensure you dont damage the module (always a good rule to never run a transmitter without an antenna)
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 05:06 PM   #95
overdriv

Drives: 1969 Chevelle SS 2019 2SS Camaro
Any news about the filters mentioned in this thread?
overdriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 10:14 AM   #96
LTfun

Drives: 2022 LT1, 1981 320i
Hi folks, I just wanted to bump this because I did this on my 22 LT1 about a week or two ago. Unless I misread the procedure there are differences on my car. Location is the same. Electrical connectors to the car are the same. I uploaded a picture of the assembled unit with a P/N visible on the side.

To remove the card in question was different. I did try to pry it out (up) the wrong way but hopefully was gentle enough. The card just slides out normal to the face where two screws hold it on.

Anyway now that I've lived with this mod for a few days, I have a few more issues. I'm not sure there related to this but because this is all so new I wanted to document it here to see if anyone has shared this experience.

My Bluetooth mic doesn't really work. Wait, let me finish. Hardware wise it works. As a matter of fact it does work when I first turn on my car, but given enough time it goes away. Another weird side effect seems to be that my overhead LEDs don't turn off either. They just stay on after getting in the car. I can switch them off but something is a bit wonky. Two minor issues for me, but I thought I would share to see if I'm onto something here.
Attached Images

LTfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 08:08 AM   #97
gatormaro

Drives: 19' Chevrolet Camaro
Following up with what LTFun said... I have a 2019 base model and I've tried the following:

1. Remove antennas from cellular modem, keep modem installed in vehicle.
    • Result: On-Star LED turns red, voice mic works w/ bluetooth connection, Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, etc.
    • Issues: After driving like this for a few weeks, I got in the car heard a (full volume) "CONNECTED TO ONSTAR LIMITED SERVICES", LED was somehow back to green, but connection was showing only one bar. Would periodically turn red but show connection. I was able to connect to Onstar by pushing the blue button with this method
  2. Remove antennas from cellular modem and replace the connection with the a 50Ohm terminator cap, keep modem installed in vehicle.
    • Result: Same as removing the antennas
    • Issues: Same as above, only difference being when I tried to connect to On-Star, it would establish the call and then drop. Was still showing signs of being connected.
  3. Remove cellular modem from car, mine looked just like LTFun's.
    • Result: On-Star LED is no longer lit up. It's for sure not "CONNECTED TO ONSTAR LIMITED SERVICES"
    • Issues: The bluetooth mic only works for the first 30 seconds after powering on the vehicle. I don't have the strange dome light issue that LTFun experienced, but I have noticed that sometimes upon turning on the car, the climate control settings will reset to 72F and fan at full blast, rear defrost on.

Ultimately I have been living with option 3 for over half a year now. I don't really care about the bluetooth mic because I don't like talking on the phone while driving. I bought the car to drive, not to be distracted by my phone The strange climate control issue has only happened three times in total.
gatormaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 07:01 AM   #98
LTfun

Drives: 2022 LT1, 1981 320i
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatormaro View Post
Following up with what LTFun said... I have a 2019 base model and I've tried the following:

1. Remove antennas from cellular modem, keep modem installed in vehicle.
    • Result: On-Star LED turns red, voice mic works w/ bluetooth connection, Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, etc.
    • Issues: After driving like this for a few weeks, I got in the car heard a (full volume) "CONNECTED TO ONSTAR LIMITED SERVICES", LED was somehow back to green, but connection was showing only one bar. Would periodically turn red but show connection. I was able to connect to Onstar by pushing the blue button with this method
  2. Remove antennas from cellular modem and replace the connection with the a 50Ohm terminator cap, keep modem installed in vehicle.
    • Result: Same as removing the antennas
    • Issues: Same as above, only difference being when I tried to connect to On-Star, it would establish the call and then drop. Was still showing signs of being connected.
  3. Remove cellular modem from car, mine looked just like LTFun's.
    • Result: On-Star LED is no longer lit up. It's for sure not "CONNECTED TO ONSTAR LIMITED SERVICES"
    • Issues: The bluetooth mic only works for the first 30 seconds after powering on the vehicle. I don't have the strange dome light issue that LTFun experienced, but I have noticed that sometimes upon turning on the car, the climate control settings will reset to 72F and fan at full blast, rear defrost on.

Ultimately I have been living with option 3 for over half a year now. I don't really care about the bluetooth mic because I don't like talking on the phone while driving. I bought the car to drive, not to be distracted by my phone The strange climate control issue has only happened three times in total.
Thanks for following up! As it turns out (embarrassingly) my map light issue had nothing to do with that. I stumbled upon a thread that mentioned that when the little dash illumination level knob (little twisty knob on dash/kick panel, left of the steering wheel) will keep the dome lights on if turned all the way up. Of course the first time I saw that knob, I said what does this do and twisted it around a bunch lol. Anyway map light issue debunked. Blue tooth disabled after some time issue, confirmed.

Thanks gatormaro, impressed that you tried a 500ohm resistor to simulate the antenna. How did you stumble upon that number, did you measure resistance across the antenna? I think there's a inductance value that goes along with impedance to create an antenna but I'm a mechanical engineer, not electrical so this goes out of my field of expertise pretty quick.
LTfun is offline   Reply With Quote