Homepage Garage Wiki Register Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum


Emblempros


Post Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2020, 03:24 PM   #1
Bumbleboy92
 
Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT v6
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 273
2020 responsiveness

I just test drove a 2020 v6 with RS package, it’s brand new with 50 miles and the responsiveness on the throttle is much better then my 2016 v6. I wanted to test drive to compare the ride quality to see how bad mine would be but the responsiveness is now on the top of my list.

I’ve changed the oil regularly, recently did the transmission flush as well but it didn’t feel as responsive as the new 2020 did. Is this a new car thing, a part of the new refresh, or could it be from the A10?
Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 04:53 PM   #2
HCI2000SS
 
HCI2000SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: MI
Posts: 449
You mean the throttle is more sensitive on the new model? My 2018 V6 feels just fine in that area
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 05:00 PM   #3
chaospiece
 
Drives: 2018 SS, 2016 GT
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: California
Posts: 143
Probably because it's new and the throttle body hasn't been calibrated as you drive.

Disconnect your battery overnight to clear the throttle settings and it'll feel more responsive as well
chaospiece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 07:53 PM   #4
Bumbleboy92
 
Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT v6
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaospiece View Post
Probably because it's new and the throttle body hasn't been calibrated as you drive.

Disconnect your battery overnight to clear the throttle settings and it'll feel more responsive as well
Iíve done the battery unplug a few times as I have the coolant fan issue but havenít noticed a change in the throttle after replugging. The more I think about it though I start to believe itís from the A10
Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 08:19 PM   #5
chaospiece
 
Drives: 2018 SS, 2016 GT
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: California
Posts: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbleboy92 View Post
I’ve done the battery unplug a few times as I have the coolant fan issue but haven’t noticed a change in the throttle after replugging. The more I think about it though I start to believe it’s from the A10
The more cars sold with that a10, the more reports of it's fragility keep coming out. Apparently it's torque input is lower than the a8 and there torques limiting in the tunes. Imagine not being able to use your engines power band to the fullest ?

The a8 can be annoying, but the a10 breaking on GM and Ford vehicles is concerning.
chaospiece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 05:44 PM   #6
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun
 
Rock-It Man's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS A6
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: MA
Posts: 3,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbleboy92 View Post
I just test drove a 2020 v6 with RS package, itís brand new with 50 miles and the responsiveness on the throttle is much better then my 2016 v6. I wanted to test drive to compare the ride quality to see how bad mine would be but the responsiveness is now on the top of my list.

Iíve changed the oil regularly, recently did the transmission flush as well but it didnít feel as responsive as the new 2020 did. Is this a new car thing, a part of the new refresh, or could it be from the A10?
It's the A10.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 06:57 PM   #7
LT4Greg


 
LT4Greg's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Georgia
Posts: 2,320
Rock-It Man has a good point!
__________________
ZL1 Coupe, PDR, Exposed carbon fiber hood insert, My Link with Nav, M6 6 speed and Silver Ice Metallic. Mods done: ceramic window tint, drop in Summit Racing panel air filter and GM Accessories Camaro floor mats
LT4Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 09:51 PM   #8
ARCamaroGuy
 
ARCamaroGuy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2020 2SS vert
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaospiece View Post
The more cars sold with that a10, the more reports of it's fragility keep coming out. Apparently it's torque input is lower than the a8 and there torques limiting in the tunes. Imagine not being able to use your engines power band to the fullest ?

The a8 can be annoying, but the a10 breaking on GM and Ford vehicles is concerning.



Could you provide links to reports of GM vehicles having this issue? First I've heard of it and I'd like to find out more if possible.


I had heard some reports on the Ford side, though.
__________________
XDJSW8
TPW 9/2/2019
Delivered 10/25/2019
ARCamaroGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 09:16 AM   #9
cmfhsu
 
Drives: 2019 2SS 1LE
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: CT
Posts: 29
You'll have to be more specific when you say "responsive". There are a few things I can think of when you say responsive:

1. When you're driving normally, then suddenly floor the throttle, the new car takes less time to start moving forward. This is likely due to the new 10L80.

2. Given a consistent amount of throttle input in the same mode (e.g. sport mode in both), the new car offers more acceleration. This is probably due to a change in the pedal calibration / tune in the 2020 car. Not sure if we know about any changes like this.

3. The delay between changing pedal input & your engine responding is quicker. This may be a result of improvements to the architecture of the communications network (I don't think this is any different from earlier, but I'm certainly no expert - I know the new Corvette is on the new global b electronics architecture, but I didn't think the Camaro would be).

Which of the above are you talking about?
cmfhsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 07:58 AM   #10
horizon670
 
horizon670's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2LT / RS / Auto
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Rutherford, NJ
Posts: 895
If I can add a little more info to this interesting topic

Yes, the 2020 Camaro with the A10 Transmission will feel more responsive for 2 reasons:

1- The more gears you have, the faster the car will shift to the right gear
2- Shorter gearing on the A10 will help accelerate when downshifting because of higher number of gears to choose from without feeling a big RPM change...

With either transmission, your Throttle response will depend on the ECU Tune.

If that's what you want to improve, the only solution is a Throttle Controller / and or a Ported Throttle Body.
horizon670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 08:02 AM   #11
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe
 
Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Arizona
Posts: 507
I think the main problem here is that the motor is missing 2 cylinders. Once you get those installed, the problem will go away...
95 imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 01:16 PM   #12
arpad_m


 
arpad_m's Avatar
 
Drives: 2018 2SS A8
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: NJ
Posts: 2,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by horizon670 View Post
1- The more gears you have, the faster the car will shift to the right gear
2- Shorter gearing on the A10 will help accelerate when downshifting because of higher number of gears to choose from without feeling a big RPM change...
Could you explain why this is true? How would more gears help with shifting into the right gear faster? Also, by "accelerating when downshifting" did you mean more precise rpm increases when downshifting because of more gears? While that helps a bit with the powerband, selection is made more complex by having more choices, and the LT1/LT4 powerband isn't exactly narrow, 4-500 rpm one way or the other won't suddenly rob all the torque... just wondering.

I think the lag typically associated with downshifting comes from physical limitations (pump pressures, fluid paths, other similar limits I am not aware of) and mostly programming, not the number of gears. IIRC the A8 can downshift directly from 8th to 4th or 7th to 3rd, and manual mode shift times are dominated by the paddle shift delay.
__________________
2018 Camaro 2SS
G7E A8 NPP MRC NAV | Magnuson Heartbeat TVS2300 | Roto-Fab CAI | JMS PowerMAX voltage booster | LT5 TB | JRE custom tune
1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 02:59 PM   #13
vtirocz

 
vtirocz's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Indy
Posts: 2,032
For the SS, I'm not sure I'm buying the argument that the 10 speed is more responsive. Here's some data from Car and Driver:

2016 SS auto: https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...c-test-review/

C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 3.9 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 8.9 sec
Zero to 120 mph: 13.1 sec
Zero to 150 mph: 25.1 sec
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 4.0 sec
Top gear, 30-50 mph: 2.3 sec
Top gear, 50-70 mph: 2.7 sec
Standing ľ-mile: 12.3 sec @ 116 mph

2019 SS auto: https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...y-the-numbers/

C/D
TEST RESULTS
Zero to 60 mph: 3.9 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 8.8 sec
Zero to 130 mph: 15.4 sec
Rolling start, 5–60 mph: 4.2 sec
Top gear, 30–50 mph: 2.3 sec
Top gear, 50–70 mph: 2.6 sec
Standing ľ-mile: 12.2 sec @ 118 mph



Look specifically at the "Rolling Start, 5-60", "Top gear, 30-50 mph", and "Top gear, 50–70 mph" metrics. I'm not seeing the 2019 performing significantly better than the 2016. This is SS data and not LT (2.0T / 3.6) data, so it's possible the story changes with those engines. I just wanted to throw in some data to the discussion.
__________________
2017 Camaro 1SS, M6, Hurst shifter, Hyper Blue, NPP, Gray Split Spoke Wheels

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.28s @ 115.5mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 05:24 PM   #14
Bumbleboy92
 
Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT v6
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmfhsu View Post
You'll have to be more specific when you say "responsive". There are a few things I can think of when you say responsive:

1. When you're driving normally, then suddenly floor the throttle, the new car takes less time to start moving forward. This is likely due to the new 10L80.

2. Given a consistent amount of throttle input in the same mode (e.g. sport mode in both), the new car offers more acceleration. This is probably due to a change in the pedal calibration / tune in the 2020 car. Not sure if we know about any changes like this.

3. The delay between changing pedal input & your engine responding is quicker. This may be a result of improvements to the architecture of the communications network (I don't think this is any different from earlier, but I'm certainly no expert - I know the new Corvette is on the new global b electronics architecture, but I didn't think the Camaro would be).

Which of the above are you talking about?
I’d say it’s between 1 and 2, I noticed it more when they let me drive around the dealership lot 0-20ish miles when I’d turn and give a little gas. Noticed it slightly less but still there when driving on roads/highway. Did a little from stop to about 55 and the initial launch felt different for sure, at 40+ around there I think there’s a very slight difference

Would be from the first few gears I’m guessing is what I noticed if this correct
Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Post Reply

Tags
responsive, throttle

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.