Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Phastek Performance

Old 11-06-2019, 10:18 AM   #211
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
C8 was in the PCOTY test by R&T....why would GM send a preproduction car. I think it would have faired much better had it been a production car. they seemed to really dislike the DCT in the C8 and even said they felt/hoped the production one would be better

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...r-of-the-year/
Because actual production hasn't even started yet. Certainly not by late summer when all the testing for that article actually happened. So to get a production car in, they'd have to wait until next year.

As far as I know, pretty much every article published about any brand new model is done on reproduction units. Nearly certain on that. I think the development stages go prototype (often cobbled from other models), IVER (looks close to the final car on the outside, but engineers are testing/replacing parts regularly), pre-production (all parts are essentially finalized, but assembly bugs need to be worked out before saleable units can get built). So with pre-production cars, the differences are going to be in the fitment of panels, since employees have only started to learn how to put everything together. If there is any calibration getting done at this point, I think its rare but I don't know that with much confidence. Number 3 or Martinjlm should know.

*edit, mainly added development cycle stuff
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 10:32 AM   #212
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Because actual production hasn't even started yet. Certainly not by late summer when all the testing for that article actually happened. So to get a production car in, they'd have to wait until next year.

As far as I know, pretty much every article published about any brand new model is done on reproduction units. Late stage preproduction, sure. So mostly, the differences are going to be in the fitment of panels, since employees have only started to learn how to put everything together. Sometimes there are a few calibration things done, but I think thats kinda rare by the time the pre-pros are getting built. But I don't know that with more than about a 60% confidence. Number 3 or Martinjlm should know.
It would not be unusual for powertrain calibrations to still be in play this close to actual production. Dialing back the calendar to when the PCOTY was run, I’d bet money on it. Even the “understeer” issue, though intentional, might also see some tweaks between now and Job 1. Maybe lessen the understeer for Z51, for example.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 11:17 AM   #213
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Production delayed.
Old 11-06-2019, 12:12 PM   #214
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
It would not be unusual for powertrain calibrations to still be in play this close to actual production. Dialing back the calendar to when the PCOTY was run, I’d bet money on it. Even the “understeer” issue, though intentional, might also see some tweaks between now and Job 1. Maybe lessen the understeer for Z51, for example.
That makes sense, which to me makes it even odder that they would send a prepoduction car to a big contest like that
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 12:35 PM   #215
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
That makes sense, which to me makes it even odder that they would send a prepoduction car to a big contest like that
Well, they have calibration “thresholds” that may have made them think it was okay to take it. There are “95% cals” and “99% cals”. It doesn’t prevent them from going back and updating, though.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Old 11-06-2019, 01:04 PM   #216
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Got ya, thanks as always for the education!
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 11:35 PM   #217
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Production delayed.
Until February, right?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 11-07-2019, 05:27 AM   #218
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
Quote:
Until February, right?
YEP....was officially announced …… but they didn't go so far as to say what day actual production would start.
Old 11-14-2019, 11:47 AM   #219
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Update

Quote:
Something is very off. Motortrend (and others) regularly have pretty happy dynos, but this is insane. That car isn't making another 70 hp over advertised (let alone another 170 ft-lbs), not when it was SAE rated. I'd place my money on either a poorly calibrated dyno or a botch on the environmental inputs.
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/chev...ults-followup/

Short version: they input a couple wrong estimates for drag losses. Aero drag was too high, and for some reason they ran it as if it were all-wheel-drive instead of rwd. Combined, they made the readings seem much too high. Calculation based on acceleration runs make for much more sensible power estimates.

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 11-14-2019, 11:57 AM   #220
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
https://youtu.be/otOLlW6W3d4
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 12:09 PM   #221
custommx3

Drives: 2017 2SS, 2023 3LT RS, 2011 2LT RS
Anyone know what this is on the LT2? I'm perplexed...
Attached Images

Old 11-14-2019, 12:34 PM   #222
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by custommx3 View Post

Catch can?
SquawkVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 01:53 PM   #223
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by custommx3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkVFR View Post
Catch can?
Not certain, but it could be the some sort of fluid accumulator for the AFM system. Just guessing because of the proximity to the camshaft.

Old 11-18-2019, 09:01 PM   #224
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
https://media.chevrolet.com/media/us...-corvette.html

MotorTrend Car of the Year.