Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-19-2019, 09:44 PM   #29
wwiiavfan

Drives: 2017 1SS Hyper Blue
Like lots of folks here, I grew up with hot cars (two Firebirds and a Camaro SS) and somehow made it thru alive.
The V6, while a great performer, just is a different animal than the LT1. Even with the benefit of decades of experience, I still feel the nannys kicking in on a regular basis with the LT1. What we love about the LT1 (gobs of torque) will be the downfall of an inexperienced young driver. All it takes is for him to (accidentally or on purpose) switch off the traction control one time and the LT1 will turn on you like a wild animal.

Don’t do it. My son is a trained LEO and I’ve only let him behind the wheel once. 😀
wwiiavfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 10:33 PM   #30
RLem619

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS A10
I take my 16yo out and let him drive mine once in a while. I need to tell him to slow the "f" down the whole time. He'd kill himself showing off to his buddies, on his own.

You can always program one of the key fobs to "Teen Driver Mode" and can set his speed limit and radio volume. If you're braver than me.

RLem619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 11:13 PM   #31
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6sigma View Post
How did you guys score nearly new Mustang 5.0s in high school? I would have killed to have a car like that back then. There were a couple kids that had turbo Eclipses, Corrados, and a few older V8 Camaros but I don't remember any newer V8 cars. Some kids borrowed their dad's Corvette or something cool. I graduated in 90.
Negative. Mine was a few years old when I bought it and I was working my butt off while going to college. Two jobs during the summers. Also cars were a lot cheaper. I can’t remember exactly how much I paid , but it was less than 10k.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 06:42 AM   #32
24v
Account Suspended

Drives: 2018 SS
You keep mentioning the fact that is it an LT1 and not an SS. To me the LT1 would be a worse car to give a kid. The narrower rear tires with the same amount of power means it will get loose easier. No way I would hand a 17 year old the keys to a v8 Camaro. Why not buy the v8 and let your kid drive your other car instead when he needs to?
24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 06:58 AM   #33
JT58

Drives: Former 2016 Camaro 1LT
I would very much worry about your son driving it- or even your current Camaro, which is no slouch. I had a 2011 MazdaSpeed 3 for almost 5 years which my son started driving from time to time a couple of years after I got it when he started college. He drove it well- so well that he asked me to use it to visit his GF over the weekend, 150 miles away. I got the horrible phone call from him- he crashed the car- his fault, went into one car, which hit another. He and his GF were fine. The car had enough damage that I no longer wanted it but was not totaled so I traded it in right after it was repaired. Well the people in the car he hit directly were injured. It's 4 years later and he (and me, since I carried the insurance) are getting sued and the case is going to court. I believe we have enough coverage on the insurance plan but this has been going on for 4 years now and still not over. Point learned- I would be very careful lending any car out- especially a high performance one. It is better in my opinion to let someone that young learn on a starter car that is less powerful and safe.

As far as upgrading to an LT1 I was thinking the same thing myself. I love my 2016 LT, V6 manual with MBRP exhaust- the car, the sound, etc. But as you said it's no V8. I also love the gas mileage of the V6 and that it runs on REGULAR gas. The LTI will require premium and will burn more gas. I know some say that they do really well on gas with the V8 but my experience is that V8's- all of them are thirsty. So if your budget can support it, get the V8- more expensive car, probably more insurance and more gas, more expensive gas. Otherwise the V6 makes for an awesome commuter.
Old 08-20-2019, 07:04 AM   #34
AlphaCamaro7

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, NPP, A8, FBO, E85
i upgraded from a from V6 to the V8 this year when i turned 25 and i can assure you there is a night and day difference. especially in Torque. i would not make that jump for a 17 year old. the V6 is plenty of power, prob too much for a 17 year old as well.
Old 08-20-2019, 08:44 AM   #35
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
My oldest son, now in his thirties, started on a Honda Civic. My middle son will be starting with an Accord. I did let the middle one drive my 2016 SS around the neighborhood with me in it, but it was an Auto, and I put it in first gear, so he wasn't going to be hotdogging. He just wanted bragging rights that the first car he drove was an SS.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 09:33 AM   #36
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
To the respect of the V6 it's no slouch - its not an SS but it can get the job done pretty well for a car of its kind...but I agree with the underlined... My exact impression was

V6 - 'Wow, this car is amazingly quick and sounds nice'
V8 - 'Holy SH*T! Hold on to something!'

Thats a tough position but if you want an SS bad enough maybe you could trade your personal car for one since you dont have the room for three cars?

As for letting your son drive it? I'm going to be honest.

I got my license when I was 17 in a 275 HP Camaro Z28 (the 4th Gen LT1 engine) and my drivers instructor told me 'Please becareful, this car has alot of power' She was surprised how well and controlled I was with it, because I had ALOT of experience and time behind the wheel in it... HOWEVER... as I became more confident, I started doing dumber things that I look back at and wish I had kicked myself for. Have I wrecked? No, but if I had a car with 455 HP and the immature mind of a 17 - 18 y/o even with driving experience - I'd be dead right now...seriously. You say he is mature and I dont doubt that but if left all by himself, even with maturity - just one time he may go off on a whim - and the SS is not a very forgiving car. Infact I really dont recommend someone driving one without a considerable amount of experience with faster cars.

The SS can lose grip of the road without warning, even when driving normally. I've had this happen in my car more times than I can count and on a few occasions I've even had to shift into Nuetral to save it.

If its cold, or wet outside you have to drive it ALOT more cautiously than you do in the V6 or you may end up in a ditch.

The SS isn't as forgiving to your actions as the V6 is. It does EXACTLY what you tell it, and there is no going back and saying 'I didn't mean that - I meant this....'

Its literally like driving a race car without all the racket and rumble on the street.

Also, the LT1 model is basically an SS and is actually not as safe as the SS (rear Brakes, and Wheels are based on the V6, less radiators, ect)

It's a seriously powerful car and the only one that can actually still scare me of all the cars I've driven (LT1 Camaro, LS1 Camaro, 1LT V6 5th and 6th Gen)...

HOWEVER, with the right driver and right mindset you can make music with it, its just...not a car that you can fool around in.
I agree, wet and cold weather driving is doable but one has to be more careful and mindful. However idk how can lose grip or control while driving normally in an ss unless you have TC off or something. Has never come close to happening in dry weather driving normal.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 09:39 AM   #37
All2Easy

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #997 Gone 2019 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
I had the same car. Vert, red with black top and orange stripe. I thought it was the coolest car ever. Oh yeah and a drove it through every winter. I remember once going up an icy mountain grade sideways the whole way. There was a line of cars behind me. They were probably pissed.
Mine was black with the red stripe. Loved the 302 motor.
All2Easy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 04:31 AM   #38
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyBeefcake87 View Post
I agree, wet and cold weather driving is doable but one has to be more careful and mindful. However idk how can lose grip or control while driving normally in an ss unless you have TC off or something. Has never come close to happening in dry weather driving normal.
It happened to me all the time on the stock Goodyears. Would be driving 45 - 65 MPH and no warning whatsoever the tail breaks loose and sideways I go.

It improved alot after I ditched the Goodyears but can still catch me off guard here and there.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 07:42 AM   #39
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
Quote:
It happened to me all the time on the stock Goodyears. Would be driving 45 - 65 MPH and no warning whatsoever the tail breaks loose and sideways I go.

It improved alot after I ditched the Goodyears but can still catch me off guard here and there.
Sounds like something is wrong with your car if you're just tooling down the road and suddenly you're going sideways.

I've had my Camaro sideways a couple of times, always because I intentionally put it that way (nannies off). A little feathering of the throttle and steering correction and she's back on line.

I've never experienced what you describe and mine is a DD in all weather with stock GYs on it.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 09:00 AM   #40
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Tires

Quote:

That's very strange, I know the 1le tires are wider and all around better but unless it's raining I have to try to get this thing to tail spin it won't just happen on a turn and definitely not while just cruising at 40-60 mph.... and 50% of the time I have TC off or in competition mode.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 09:25 AM   #41
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
i hear the next step up from a v6 maro is a new impala might give that a shot
Old 08-21-2019, 11:14 AM   #42
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
So your son is going off to college? What car is he going to take? Does he need a car at school? You should just get what you want, its your car after all. There is no way I would ever hand my son the keys to a V8 camaro. Probably not even a V6 or turbo 4.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote