Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 05-11-2015, 01:35 PM   #71
IDEALG
Chevy's "Rumble" Best!

Drives: 2015 ZL1 6 speed
Send a message via AIM to IDEALG
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZO6 Bryan View Post
Did you load it when you did the pattern? You should put the e-brake on one or two clicks to create some load then put a wrench on the pinion and crank it clockwise. That will give a better indication of what the pattern really is. But so far it looks fine. Why don't you just let GM put a new diff in it under warranty since its a brand new car?
Diff is out of the car i used my hand to hold pressure on it as i turned it.

The dealers around here are not trust worthy enough to leave my car there so i rather not. I think i'm going to leave it alone and just put it back in the car. now that i know the pattern is where it should be i will worry less about it.
Old 05-11-2015, 01:52 PM   #72
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEALG View Post
same rear just who ever is setting them up isn't doing them right i guess. Decel whine/noise/whirring ect is when you take your foot off the gas pedal and the car is coasting you hear a humming noise.
Actually that pattern looks pretty good without the compound on it as you can see more of the spread across the tooth. I have the tech manuals and I know they have pretty good pics of dead nuts, and variations of out of allignment, I will check it when I get home but that look's pretty good. Also a bummer as I was looking forward to what you had found because I have the same whine 66 - 72MPH on both decel and accel..
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 02:00 PM   #73
IDEALG
Chevy's "Rumble" Best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMEnow View Post
Actually that pattern looks pretty good without the compound on it as you can see more of the spread across the tooth. I have the tech manuals and I know they have pretty good pics of dead nuts, and variations of out of allignment, I will check it when I get home but that look's pretty good. Also a bummer as I was looking forward to what you had found because I have the same whine 66 - 72MPH on both decel and accel..
yeah i'm guessing it's good and i should just leave it alone. I'll keep the shim kit for next time
Old 05-11-2015, 02:13 PM   #74
ZMEnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEALG View Post
yeah i'm guessing it's good and i should just leave it alone. I'll keep the shim kit for next time
Since I got 8 hours to kill this week at Belle Isle and my car is in the corral, you bet I will find someone from the tech center to discuss this with and maybe report back what I find. I can now reference you teeth lash since I have seen them and they again look good.
Old 05-11-2015, 02:23 PM   #75
Raven87
C'mon- really?

Drives: Looking for a ZL1
I've driven two other ZL1s (both were '13s) besides the '15 I bought. Everyone, including mine, had/has a slight gear whine noise when coasting down but it is very minimal. I'm not sure if this is the same issue or not but to me, it is acceptable and I feel somewhat normal for the car. One of the '13s was an auto, the other was a manual. My car is a manual and everyone of them made a little noise on decel.
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE Black #3805 - SOLD
Raven87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 02:45 PM   #76
IDEALG
Chevy's "Rumble" Best!

Quote:
Since I got 8 hours to kill this week at Belle Isle and my car is in the corral, you bet I will find someone from the tech center to discuss this with and maybe report back what I find. I can now reference you teeth lash since I have seen them and they again look good.
Cool!
Old 05-11-2015, 02:46 PM   #77
IDEALG
Chevy's "Rumble" Best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven87 View Post
I've driven two other ZL1s (both were '13s) besides the '15 I bought. Everyone, including mine, had/has a slight gear whine noise when coasting down but it is very minimal. I'm not sure if this is the same issue or not but to me, it is acceptable and I feel somewhat normal for the car. One of the '13s was an auto, the other was a manual. My car is a manual and everyone of them made a little noise on decel.
Yes sir same thing coasting down noise not real bad but you can hear it.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:21 PM   #78
ZMEnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven87 View Post

I would except that if mine had started from day one, but didn't start until 3600 miles and after the first rear end oil change. It also is progressively getting louder and more spread across the MPH range and gears. Also being in a fairly large GEN 5 Club I have driven 3 other 13's and not a sound..
Old 05-11-2015, 03:23 PM   #79
Raven87
C'mon- really?

Drives: Looking for a ZL1
Quote:
I would except that if mine had started from day one, but didn't start until 3600 miles and after the first rear end oil change. It also is progressively getting louder and more spread across the MPH range and gears. Also being in a fairly large GEN 5 Club I have driven 3 other 13's and not a sound..
Interesting that you did not experience in other ZL1s. The three I've driven all had some but it was not loud by any stretch and all three were brand new cars, including the one I bought.
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE Black #3805 - SOLD
Raven87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:03 PM   #80
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
I was fortunate enough that mine went away when I changed the rear end fluid.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 12:03 AM   #81
djnice

Drives: 13 ZL1 SIM, 99 Z28 Black
Quote:
Same here, but I could hear mine starting at 1,500 miles. Took it in and they said its normal and you have a 100,000 mile warranty. It's much louder now.
Old 06-01-2015, 11:10 AM   #82
winterboy8

Drives: 2015 ZL1 Blue Velvet Metallic
I just picked up my 2015 ZL1 and on my very first drive, I noticed a bit of noise/humming when I let off the accel. It doesn't seem to be so loud that I can't deal with it, so I'm not going to do anything about it yet. However, if it gets worse or changes I'll be sure to bring it into the dealer for work. After reading this entire post, again, I'm thinking its my ring/pinion combo as it is noisy on straight line decel.

Great post, so glad I saw it and am up to speed and have an idea of what to do if it gets worse.