Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-30-2021, 09:42 AM   #43
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
The LT1 would be a good choice with the options you are wanting but if it was me I would spend the extra money and get a 1SS or a 2SS for the right price. Ultimately though dyingbreed it’s up to you to make the decision on which one to get because all of us have our opinions and ownership experiences with each model. Good luck!��
Old 10-30-2021, 10:44 AM   #44
ckt227

Drives: CHEVROLET CORVETTE
If you do need/want all the extra's/options of a 2SS the LT1 is the way to go. If your into the tech, better seats, better radio, hud etc., then go for the 2SS. Good luck.
ckt227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 11:36 AM   #45
donniedarko

Drives: 2021 LT1 A10 RS
I secured the LZ1 lease for my LT1. My ex bought an SS with me.

I opted for 3.0 tech, RS package. Car is amazing. Costs less then a Prius. Ill likely buy it out. With CV19 and state of affairs I wanted to be tidy with my money.

I wanted a very potent muscle/street car and ended up with sleeper sport car.

The A10 vs A8 is big change.

I wanted the lightest Camaro. WOuld of opted for M6 but the lease was attached to A10. Given I live in LA I should of got NPP, N10 exhaust on cold start ups is really loud. I installed GMPP exhaust thinking save lot of weight. Only 6 lbs.

Everytime I get in my car i grow a fat smile. Enjoy whatever you get…
donniedarko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 11:37 AM   #46
dyingbreed

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by FH212 View Post
I will offer this, it honestly comes down to body style. If you like the LT1 body then get it. If not for the $3k more get the 1SS. The 2SS should not even be in your consideration if the LT1 is, unless this is about the looks? Oh and IMO the Visibility thing is not as big of an issue as its made out to be if you know how to adjust your mirrors properly.
I think the LT1 and SS fronts both look fine. It is one of the lowest priorities for me in this decision. I had to mention it in the OP because if I didn’t I expected many to tell me about it.
dyingbreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 12:06 PM   #47
oldguy0130

Drives: 2021 2SS red-line Camaro
OP, I was in the same decision making process you are currently in. I wanted a manual transmission too. OK LT1-- who cares about the extra stuff anyway? So I actually ordered one from Joe P. Then I talked to my wife and she said I should get the safety stuff so I changed my order to a 2SS. Then I saw a 2SS coupe red line at a local dealer and went for a test drive. It is an A10 but I was blown away so I ended up buying it (Joe P understood, bless him). FWIW I came from a 2018 Audi S4. There is no comparison as to performance. The S4 seemed to "run out of cubic inches" when I wanted them. The Camaro is much more fun to drive. The A10 is amazing. The extra goodies are a nice little surprise. I have no regrets.
oldguy0130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 04:28 PM   #48
Dragon08

Drives: 2020 1LE
What a wonderful no-lose situation. Wish all of lifes big decisions were this way.
Dragon08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 04:57 PM   #49
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeybrown View Post
Scratching my head too. Cpo is not better than new, nor is it a good time to buy a used car.
I snagged a certified preowned 2020 2SS 1LE with 2,300 miles. Virgin car that still had the shipping spring spacers in the front coils.

MSRP was $52,000. I paid $49,250 last Memorial Day (May 30)

As a rule, I generally buy everything new. I missed the window for ordering Rally Green due to a COVID shortened 2020 production run followed by it cancellation for 2021.
Quote:
Every CPO delivers confidence with two warranties backed by the companies that built the vehicles.
. 6-Year/100,000-Mile2 Powertrain Limited Warranty
. 12-Month/12,000-Mile3 Bumper-to-Bumper Limited Warranty
. $0 Deductible and Transferable

https://www.chevrolet.com/content/da...giBro_5418.pdf
I got the balance of the original warranty plus this. ^^^ I doubt the dealer will ever see this car as I do my own work.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 05:17 PM   #50
hotlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigalLunatic View Post
It's funny how impressions vary so widely from person to person.

I think the front end of the LT1 looks predatory, like a shark. The SS looks like it has muttonchops, like a civil war general. But the ZL1 is the best of the three.

Joking aside, it's what's under the hood that matters the most. That's where the fun comes from.
The 2020 updated solved that issue. Having owned two SSes with the original front (16/18), I like the 20+ best.

The new fascia is functionally better at directing airflow to the two side, auxiliary, radiators. You can get a glimpse on the right of the straight front shot
Name:  C1483CE7-D7F4-4ABE-9758-9D874EACE66F.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  117.0 KB
Name:  353F3C01-A6AD-47EF-A75C-732F6B13815B.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  119.2 KB
Name:  FF228E5B-0C7F-45E6-9FA2-18BC57E77E71.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  122.6 KB

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
Old 10-30-2021, 05:20 PM   #51
Zr8000

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyingbreed View Post
Hi, trying to make a final decision on LT1 vs 2SS for a convertible.
I will not track the car. I’ve always wanted a V8 RWD, stick convertible. It’s now or never. Car will be used to drive to work about 1-3 days/week, pleasure and errands.
Mid-$40,000s would be great but since I’m very keen on adding NPP, Recaro, and must have the bigger screen and better sound I’ll go to $50k. I like the standard RQA 20" Silver wheels and Riverside Blue is awesome. For reality I have added an extra 10% on the build price for California tax and license.
Biggest regret with LT1 is not getting the safety options of the 2SS. I’m not willing to pay essentially $8,000 for them - see below. Well played Chevrolet. 1SS is basically ruled out but shown for reference.

LT1 seems to make a lot of sense all things considered. Am I missing anything?
EDIT: I can afford the 2SS. This is tough because the LT1 (as I spec'd) seems such a great car. I am pretty happy to skip all the 2SS stuff except for the safety aspects but $6k-$8k extra does not seem worth it. If 2SS had adaptive cruise control I'd likely not even write this post and just order 2SS. But it doesn't :-/

(Anyone know why copper free brakes are listed as a $995 option on SSs but not available in LT1 - I'm concerned that would make SS $1,000 more than the LT1 again because it will be automatically added for a California order)

LT1 manual convertible (added $900 Bose 8” 7-spkr, $1,595 Recaro seats, $995 dual mode exhaust)
Price $49,154 (incl. 10% tax and lic.)
Pros:
· Price under $50k (mind that I will add PPF, ceramic, audio upgrades, tow hitch which will push it over $50k anyway)
· Can order Bose sound with extra speakers vs the 1SS
· Recaro seats – a must after I saw the mushy cloth ones on a 4cyl at the dealer – seems like this kind of upgrades the front and rear seats to leather/alcantara, probably nicer than the std 2SS leather – good value option!
· Same tire size all round, save money, staggered set ups result in half mileage warranty for the rear tires
Cons:
· Wish I could get the safety options of the 2SS à la carte i.e. forward collision, blind zone alert, rear park assist, rear camera mirror since the visibility is poor.
· Missing the 1SS and 2SS goodies listed below
· Basic instrument cluster – seems very functional but can only see one thing at once
· V6 front bumper, no SS badges
· Narrower rear rims/tires (launch and grip)

1SS manual convertible (added $1,595 Recaro seats, $995 dual mode exhaust)
Price $52,014 (incl. 10% tax and lic.)
Pros:
· Better rear brakes, cooling, instrument cluster
· SS bumper and badges
· Wider rear rims/tires
Cons:
· $3,000 more than the LT1 but the pros above do not justify it.
· Less speakers than LT1 - Bose not an option in 1SS
· Wish I could get the safety options of the 2SS à la carte i.e. forward collision, blind zone alert, rear park assist, rear camera mirror since the visibility is poor.
· No 2SS goodies listed below
· (?forced to buy the $995 copper free brakes for California? Not listed as option in LT1 - not included in my price estimate here)

2SS manual convertible (added $995 dual mode exhaust)
Price $55,759 no Recaro (incl. 10% tax and lic.) – or $57,514 with Recaro
Pros:
· 2SS goodies: leather, heated/cooled, seat/mirror memory, HUD
· safety options: forward collision, blind zone alert, rear park assist, rear camera mirror
· the 1SS stuff
· Could drop Recaro to save money since 2SS has leather
Cons:
· $8,000 more than the LT1 if both include Recaro
· (?forced to buy the $995 copper free brakes for California? Not listed as option in LT1 - not included in my price estimate here)
When I bought mine in spring 2020 there was no value in getting the lt1 over the ss as the prices were so close. The better dash, bigger radio screen, and better rear brakes made the 1ss a no brainer.
Zr8000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 05:21 PM   #52
Warrior102

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE Black
This site and most all auto forums are full of folks trying to turn a base model into what they really wanted and probably spending more in the long run. If you're having these thought now trust me you'll be better off biting the bullet. I walked into my dealer wanting a 1SS and ended up taking home a 2SS 1LE and glad I did, I still find myself looking at ZL1's after an adult beverage or three. You only live once, this isn't a dress rehearsal.
Warrior102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 05:22 PM   #53
hotlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigalLunatic View Post
It's funny how impressions vary so widely from person to person.

I think the front end of the LT1 looks predatory, like a shark. The SS looks like it has muttonchops, like a civil war general. But the ZL1 is the best of the three.

Joking aside, it's what's under the hood that matters the most. That's where the fun comes from.
The new fascia looks especially good with dark colors.
Name:  F6FB5BCD-01D2-4E9D-A4AD-2A1879441BA1.jpeg
Views: 432
Size:  401.3 KB
Name:  477C92D3-FAAF-4346-A687-2865E4EB97E7.jpeg
Views: 411
Size:  404.8 KB

Ronald Reagan -

Last edited by hotlap; 10-31-2021 at 08:29 AM.
Old 10-30-2021, 05:28 PM   #54
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
Not sure why you would worry about spending the extra money for anything track related, with a rag top unless you roll bar it no one that I know will let you on the track. I would spend the money on the conveniences you want. I personally wanted a daily driver and something I could track occasionally with all the modern safety gadgets so my budget put me in a LGX M6 RS with all the bells and whistles and I don't regret it. I run around the track slower than the LT1 but that's OK it's still like Christmas morning every session.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 10:26 PM   #55
dyingbreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zr8000 View Post
When I bought mine in spring 2020 there was no value in getting the lt1 over the ss as the prices were so close. The better dash, bigger radio screen, and better rear brakes made the 1ss a no brainer.
Great but that was then. Check out my OP. For me today it is $3k more for 1SS for better dash, better rear brakes, same screen but worse sound package. I've noted I will not track the car. I ruled out 1SS. It's LT1 or 2SS. 8k more for 2SS and the main thing I'd miss getting LT1 is the tech stuff. I can afford either. LT1 I spec'd has everything that matters most: V8, stick, ragtop, Bose, recaro
Old 10-30-2021, 10:27 PM   #56
dyingbreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
QUOTE=ProdigalLunatic;11090657]It's funny how impressions vary so widely from person to person.

The new fascia looks especially good with dark colors.
Attachment 1083302
Attachment 1083303[/QUOTE]
Front splitter looks sick