Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

AWE Tuning

Old 05-29-2021, 07:04 AM   #29
JK001

Drives: ZHP, Alfa 4C, RAM, X5, 17SS1LE-sold
@trackclub @jamesnobrakes. Good comments guys. Indeed we did some armchair discussions...I think key takeaway here is (which was has been known since the 1lLE came out...) its impossible to match the 1LE for the price
JK001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 08:14 AM   #30
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
The M2C is a serious driver's car. It benefits from the massive area below the curve with it's flat torque curve, which is significantly better than ours. It's putting a little more power to the rear wheels, but the chassis isn't quite as good as the Camaro. That doesn't matter as much for autocross, where nimbleness, how fast the turn-in is and acceleration count the most. When the Camaro is going for those high speed turns, few cars can keep up and it just keeps putting distance on them that they can't make up in the straights, but again, autocross is a totally different monster. It's about properly and very quickly loading and unloading the chassis to get the fastest time around a short course. Cars like the miata absolutely destroy it. I considered the M2, but the SS1LE was a better driver's car with better handling. The M2C addressed many of the M2s shortcomings, but the 1LE still has the edge on big courses. It's got the rubber/tires to put the power down and the chassis tuning to take maximum advantage of it...on a big course. I autocross my 1LE and it doesn't suck, but a quick shifting DCT car like the M2C would be better. The 1LE really starts picking up speed when we have a bigger track. Last time we put an oval in the course and were able to get up to some pretty fast speeds, my standings were much better with the bigger course, compared to when we do a small one.
Well said. I think autox vs track are sufficiently different disciplines, which quickly lead any comparos into apples to oranges territory, when mixing the two. SS 1LE aside, not sure how a C7 ZR1 would do against a Miata
Cheers!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 08:20 AM   #31
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK001 View Post
@trackclub @jamesnobrakes. Good comments guys. Indeed we did some armchair discussions...I think key takeaway here is (which was has been known since the 1lLE came out...) its impossible to match the 1LE for the price
This is without a question IMO. And the same applies to ZL1 and ZLE btw, when one considers an M2 C starts at about what a ZL1 costs and M2 CS is about 15-20k *more* than a ZLE.
Heck, a "new and mproved" Supra costs almost on par with a ZL1 which is one heck of a joke value wise (and that's probably why they sell very few of them).
Cheers!
Old 05-29-2021, 08:24 AM   #32
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Talking

From the mentioned articles, the 6th gen Camaro has been able to compete at the same performance level and even beat BMW Ms:

Camaro SS1LE VS BMW M2 Competition

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...camaro-ss-1le/

'16 Camaro SS VS BMW M3

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/chev...let-camaro-ss/

Even the '11 Mustang GT 5.0 performed at the same level of the '11 BMW M3 (V8)
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/bmw/...m3-comparison/

On my book for the $ the best performer is the 6th gen Camaro
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport

Last edited by Bosse'sBoss; 05-29-2021 at 09:01 AM.
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 08:30 AM   #33
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosse'sBoss View Post
From the mentioned articles, the 6th gen Camaro has been able to compete at the same performance level and even beat BMW Ms:
https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...camaro-ss-1le/

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/chev...let-camaro-ss/

Even the '11 Mustang GT 5.0 performed at the same level of the '11 BMW M3 (V8)
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/bmw/...m3-comparison/

On my book for the $ the best performer is the 6th gen Camaro
Stangs are capable cars for sure, but the issue has been Ford's marketing, pushing buyers into GT350s for track duty - for SS 1LE performance at ZLE price - because of Shelby badges.
Old 05-29-2021, 08:57 AM   #34
Bosse'sBoss

The Camaro ZL1 1LE & ZL1 destroy the BMW M2 CS
https://fastestlaps.com/comparisons/8mf4z6cb758o
https://fastestlaps.com/comparisons/96p2cma7r534

Even the SS1LE is able to beat the M2 CS at the track:
https://fastestlaps.com/comparisons/2lp63kl0thrd
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera

Last edited by Bosse'sBoss; 05-29-2021 at 09:10 AM.
Old 05-29-2021, 09:32 AM   #35
Bosse'sBoss

Talking

FOMOCO has always been afraid to allow their Shelby GT350, GT350R and probably now their Mach l to be tested against the Camaro SS1LE, never allowing the car magazines to compare them.
The Mustang old chassis is not able to match the 6th gen Camaro's oustanding "Alpha" chassis, FORD always have to get the cup tires to be able to keep up with the Camaros just riding on street summer tires.
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
Old 05-29-2021, 09:41 AM   #36
Eldi Z

Drives: 17' 1SS 1LE GBA-Black
Taking the discussion a bit off the track comparisons, for those of us using our SS 1LEs mainly as their daily service vehicle and just wishing to enjoy the performance / handling on the public roads.
What would be your take under these "daily" circumstances, when comparing to the M2/M2C ?
Eldi Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 09:48 AM   #37
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosse'sBoss View Post
FOMOCO has always been afraid to allow their Shelby GT350, GT350R and probably now their Mach l to be tested against the Camaro SS1LE, never allowing the car magazines to compare them.
The Mustang old chassis is not able to match the 6th gen Camaro's oustanding "Alpha" chassis, FORD always have to get the cup tires to be able to keep up with the Camaros just riding on street summer tires.
To be fair, those "street summer tires" are amazing both from a track performance lap time and cost pov. A complete sandbag given their 220 tread rating (as compared to other brands). Cheers!
Old 05-29-2021, 09:51 AM   #38
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldi Z View Post
Taking the discussion a bit off the track comparisons, for those of us using our SS 1LEs mainly as their daily service vehicle and just wishing to enjoy the performance / handling on the public roads.
What would be your take under these "daily" circumstances, when comparing to the M2/M2C ?
All these cars will provide a true sports car street experience imo. So, i would get what i liked the best styling wise. Personally I would likely head straight for a Caddy Blackwing twins given 4 door benefit. Cheers!
Old 05-31-2021, 03:50 PM   #39
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldi Z View Post
For some the Camaro has visibility issues. Also the suspension is a little firm. Lastly the inability to recline the seats farther back was a pain for, no pun intended. I have since fixed that. Currently mine is weekend only and it would be a tough decision. I think the Camaro is a better looking car….
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 07:30 AM   #40
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Firstly, i KNOW, that Cup2 doesn't have 1.5 sec over a Pilot Sport over a 1min lap.
I didn't say it did. I said a warmed up Goodyear SC3 has 1.5s over a PS.

Quote:
maybe not the same day, or the same driver, but 1LE has recorded a faster lap.
If you don't even control for the driver and conditions, then any comparisons are meaningless.

Quote:
To me (and many of us here, obviously), an SS 1LE is the best track performer for the money.
I don't think anybody would say otherwise. Certainly not me. I own a 1LE, after all!
Old 06-01-2021, 07:55 AM   #41
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYblack1le View Post
M2 is cool as hell but for 85k I’ll wait and order a c8 z06.
Yeah because you will easily get a C8 Z06 for 85K

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 08:44 AM   #42
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
I didn't say it did. I said a warmed up Goodyear SC3 has 1.5s over a PS.

If you don't even control for the driver and conditions, then any comparisons are meaningless.

I don't think anybody would say otherwise. Certainly not me. I own a 1LE, after all!
1) Ok, confused, as you were replying to a comment that referenced PSS vs Cup2, but anyway, we agree a Cup2 doesn't have 1.5 seconds over PSS over 1 min lap, ergo neither does G3 as its performance is virtually the same as Cup2. Anyhow, no point splitting hairs: agree PSS is not as fast a tire, albeit not a slouch either.

2) Not exactly, as those are the fastest official laps recorded.
Also, Randy Pobst drove both, but i cannot find an official vid of the 1LE, so instead let's use official Laguna laps: officially same driver, 1LE beats both M2 (by a lot) and also M4. And...it loses to M4 GTS by a spitting distance.

3) Agree and ditto! Cheers!

Last edited by TrackClub; 06-01-2021 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Changed reply format