Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-19-2021, 04:23 AM   #1
porkchop express

Drives: 2020 Camaro ss 1le
settings for track day

I looked through the mode setting post and found it a little hard to follow. I have a few track days under my belt and just used regular track mode. Should I be trying another setting? I don't have a lot of track experience, but I drive pretty aggressive. I still want the cars technology to help me from eating a wall if I'm pushing it.
porkchop express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 08:36 AM   #2
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=496996

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 09:21 AM   #3
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
PTM Dry, then Sport 1 are probably good ones for you to try based on your experience. If you are a pretty aggressive driver, the car was very likely cutting torque and/or braking individual wheels to help you out in regular track mode so be aware of that as you try different modes with less assistance from the car. The car will still help you out in Sport 1 but not as much and you will hear the exhaust noise change when it is helping you avoid oversteer.

If you later try Sport 2, Race, or everything off, be ready to catch slides yourself by countersteering although the car will still try to help you to a lesser extent in Sport 2 and Race.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 07:10 PM   #4
porkchop express

Thanks. I was thinking sport 1
Old 05-19-2021, 07:24 PM   #5
VLAD146

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS 1LE
SPORT 1 I FIND IS NOT THAT INTRUSIVE AND HAS ACTUALLY HELPED A LOT.
VLAD146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 09:18 PM   #6
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
Sport 1 unless you are really rusty. Active handling (stabilitrak) and traction control is active and will help. It can't fix a severe situation but it can correct minor hiccups. Run in Sport 1 until you know the track well. If you are super nervous/anxious, run in Dry for 2 laps until the tires come up to temp then go to sport 1...yes, once in PTM mode you can change modes on the fly with one downward press of the mode button.
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 06:17 AM   #7
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkchop express View Post
I looked through the mode setting post and found it a little hard to follow. I have a few track days under my belt and just used regular track mode. Should I be trying another setting? I don't have a lot of track experience, but I drive pretty aggressive. I still want the cars technology to help me from eating a wall if I'm pushing it.
Howdy! If you are referring to my sticky post as offered by Matthew as hard to follow - ask any questions here and i will be happy to answer the best i can. If you are referring to a different post, i suggest you follow that link and read it all (just the first post in that thread).

But, basically, as others have suggested, PTM Sport 1 is a great track specific mode to use, which still provides both Traction Control and Stabilitrack. So the nannies will intervene in all 3 corner phases if you over cook things. Stabilitrack will manage excessive under or oversteer and Traction Control will prevent tire overslip under throttle, so you can exit corners faster without spinning rears. Things to keep in mind: the car will still spin if you really drive like a hooligan and exceed norms of physics. Also, since Stabilitrack uses brakes to manage excessive yaw (under or oversteer), if you lean on it all the time, don't be surprised if the brakes will be absolutely smoking after a session.

Another thing to keep in mind: driving "aggressively" while using Stabilitrack as a crutch to prevent spins is not a good long term strategy of becoming a better driver. This is because Stabilitrack masks the FEEL of what the car is doing balance wise and without developing a FEEL for balance as a driver, you will never hone your skill to the max. So, it is better to dial it down a notch and learn how NOT to engage it. Having said that, even in PTM Sport 1 the car is capable of very fast laps.

So, bottom line is this: if your goal is fast laps with security of technology (again: to a point), PTM Sport 1 is highly recommended. If your goal is fastest laps achieved thru gaining skill as a driver, then I'd recommend PTM Race. BUT, without Stabilitrack, one's progression as a driver should be in small steps vs gung-ho, to develop a feel of what the car is doing balance wise and how to manage weight transfer before attempting to go flat out (as that can end in tears rather quickly).

If you have any questions, dont hesitate to ask. That's what this Forum is all about: helping each other. Cheers!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 08:55 PM   #8
KILLA BEE
Black lightning

Drives: 2021 ZL1 1LE A10
It sounds crazy but try it. Put everything on tour mode except the exhaust sound and steering. I was told from. Someone that knows there shit the 10speed does best in tour tour mode at the track. I laughed it off until I tried it and killed everyone I raced. Up to ,ou
Old 05-26-2021, 10:23 PM   #9
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLA BEE View Post
It sounds crazy but try it. Put everything on tour mode except the exhaust sound and steering. I was told from. Someone that knows there shit the 10speed does best in tour tour mode at the track. I laughed it off until I tried it and killed everyone I raced. Up to ,ou
Ya know we are discussing road course vs strip set up here, eh?
Old 05-27-2021, 07:33 PM   #10
JK001

Drives: ZHP, Alfa 4C, RAM, X5, 17SS1LE-sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Ya know we are discussing road course vs strip set up here, eh?
Meh, same same...lol
JK001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 07:49 PM   #11
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK001 View Post
Meh, same same...lol
Apparently to some ppl anyway hehehe
Old 06-03-2021, 06:49 PM   #12
porkchop express

Thanks for the info. Going next week. I'm going to try some different modes and work on driving smooth.
Old 06-03-2021, 11:09 PM   #13
Wuiquen

Drives: 2018 Hot Red ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Howdy! If you are referring to my sticky post as offered by Matthew as hard to follow - ask any questions here and i will be happy to answer the best i can. If you are referring to a different post, i suggest you follow that link and read it all (just the first post in that thread).

But, basically, as others have suggested, PTM Sport 1 is a great track specific mode to use, which still provides both Traction Control and Stabilitrack. So the nannies will intervene in all 3 corner phases if you over cook things. Stabilitrack will manage excessive under or oversteer and Traction Control will prevent tire overslip under throttle, so you can exit corners faster without spinning rears. Things to keep in mind: the car will still spin if you really drive like a hooligan and exceed norms of physics. Also, since Stabilitrack uses brakes to manage excessive yaw (under or oversteer), if you lean on it all the time, don't be surprised if the brakes will be absolutely smoking after a session.

Another thing to keep in mind: driving "aggressively" while using Stabilitrack as a crutch to prevent spins is not a good long term strategy of becoming a better driver. This is because Stabilitrack masks the FEEL of what the car is doing balance wise and without developing a FEEL for balance as a driver, you will never hone your skill to the max. So, it is better to dial it down a notch and learn how NOT to engage it. Having said that, even in PTM Sport 1 the car is capable of very fast laps.

So, bottom line is this: if your goal is fast laps with security of technology (again: to a point), PTM Sport 1 is highly recommended. If your goal is fastest laps achieved thru gaining skill as a driver, then I'd recommend PTM Race. BUT, without Stabilitrack, one's progression as a driver should be in small steps vs gung-ho, to develop a feel of what the car is doing balance wise and how to manage weight transfer before attempting to go flat out (as that can end in tears rather quickly).

If you have any questions, dont hesitate to ask. That's what this Forum is all about: helping each other. Cheers!
This is great info. I really want to start going to track days and autocross so this is good.

Help me understand something here. So in just track mode, the car still help you more that much? If you were doing twisty roads up mountains, what settings would you run if you are familiar with the road?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Old 06-04-2021, 06:57 AM   #14
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkchop express View Post
Thanks for the info. Going next week. I'm going to try some different modes and work on driving smooth.