Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > Past Camaro Fests > 2020 Camaro Fest (X)

AWE Tuning

Old 07-19-2019, 11:22 AM   #29
Bo White

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS 1LE
Yep BG cant be beat. Fairly centrally located in the eastern US.
Most successful venues have theirs in the same place around the same time.
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 12:31 PM   #30
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01pewterz28 View Post
Actually it is organizing an event with new locations, trying to secure facilities is a real PITA and very costly. Using the same venue and location you build up a good relationship with the venues and this can save you $$ from signing huge contracts that put the organizers on the hook for 10's of thousands of dollars.

One event I put on in Orlando I was on the hook for $20k if the bottom fell out.

Now I was just kidding about Vegas it's an awesome location but IMHO BG makes the most sense.

One event I attended and helped with we were at the same location and hotel for over 15 years nobody ever got tired of the venue.

Enjoy what the organizers are putting together they are doing this for US not for them as long as we attend they will continue.
I was busy quoting a bunch of folks and then hit this post which is dead on.

I would really like to move and will explain more on that. We've explored every single track location over the years and there are always missing components that degrades the event we want to put on. Indy is a good second but the hotel doesn't deal with us like Holiday Inn and the convention center room in BG is awesome for what we do.

Sean is correct about doing it for YOU and he's become a big part of that now. I'm sure everyone enjoyed the way this year's car show ran. Credit him 100%. I know if Joe and I don't keep going it will die. Not that there aren't other events, but this one is pretty special as most of us know.

All that being said, we do have very solid relationships built in BG and they continue to get better. The Visitors Bureau sets up contacts we need to include multiple advertising avenues (never had that anywhere else). Hotels, Beech Bend and NCM all roll out the red carpet for the Camaros and now that we've done this a few times they basically hand us the keys and we know what to do and mutually know what to expect of each other. Yes, it got a lot easier this year, but not without some focus areas to improve.

Two years ago we needed AutoX improvements and meet and greet organization. We removed having to work cones, increased the # of runs and I think M&G speaks for itself. Last year were drag race and NCM improvements. This year we focused on Car Show and next year Vendors will be a main focus. We can't do this changing locations.

So....

We don't plan to re-invent the wheel but rather make it bigger and better (especially with #10 coming). Bowling Green is home until someone wants to replace me or Joe (hint hint).

Also, we plan to really help and push CamaroCon to be a success in Vegas. Between these two events it should cover a much larger area. You will see more from us on this one.

Cheers,
Mike
Old 07-19-2019, 12:55 PM   #31
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post

I would really like to move and will explain more on that. We've explored every single track location over the years and there are always missing components that degrades the event we want to put on. Indy is a good second but the hotel doesn't deal with us like Holiday Inn and the convention center room in BG is awesome for what we do.

Sean is correct about doing it for YOU and he's become a big part of that now. I'm sure everyone enjoyed the way this year's car show ran. Credit him 100%. I know if Joe and I don't keep going it will die. Not that there aren't other events, but this one is pretty special as most of us know.

All that being said, we do have very solid relationships built in BG and they continue to get better. The Visitors Bureau sets up contacts we need to include multiple advertising avenues (never had that anywhere else). Hotels, Beech Bend and NCM all roll out the red carpet for the Camaros and now that we've done this a few times they basically hand us the keys and we know what to do and mutually know what to expect of each other. Yes, it got a lot easier this year, but not without some focus areas to improve.

Two years ago we needed AutoX improvements and meet and greet organization. We removed having to work cones, increased the # of runs and I think M&G speaks for itself. Last year were drag race and NCM improvements. This year we focused on Car Show and next year Vendors will be a main focus. We can't do this changing locations.

So....

We don't plan to re-invent the wheel but rather make it bigger and better (especially with #10 coming). Bowling Green is home until someone wants to replace me or Joe (hint hint).

Also, we plan to really help and push CamaroCon to be a success in Vegas. Between these two events it should cover a much larger area. You will see more from us on this one.

Cheers,
Mike
So if I'm reading that right BG is locked in for #10 we just need the dates? Should we probably expect same time as always? That would put it Thursday July 9th to Saturday July 11th?

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 12:58 PM   #32
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Quote:

So....

Cheers,
Mike

For those that have been to most Camarofest events, from the beginning, the improvements do keep coming. I noticed them a lot this year. Improvement come from ideas and support for those ideas. If you see something that needs help or improvement, keep giving suggestions, get involved, become a part of it to make it better.

Was there enough test and tune... no, I want to run all day long...lol. But to be fair, it was a blast this year. There were a lot of cars on the drag strip, and as a driver and fan, I loved seeing those fast cars!!

Just hoped the rain would of held off a little more to get some of that grudge racing in. We got some of it in, and that was a blast to talk smack for another year. Racergirl, RJ, Joey, Ruby, and others.. we will be ready and wanting more.

Thanks Mike and Crew for another memorable event. I know myself and all my friends there truly enjoyed it. See you next year!!!!
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 03:42 PM   #33
Dave-ROR

Drives: A few
Quote:
Actually it is organizing an event with new locations, trying to secure facilities is a real PITA and very costly. Using the same venue and location you build up a good relationship with the venues and this can save you $$ from signing huge contracts that put the organizers on the hook for 10's of thousands of dollars.

One event I put on in Orlando I was on the hook for $20k if the bottom fell out.

Now I was just kidding about Vegas it's an awesome location but IMHO BG makes the most sense.

One event I attended and helped with we were at the same location and hotel for over 15 years nobody ever got tired of the venue.

Enjoy what the organizers are putting together they are doing this for US not for them as long as we attend they will continue.
Eh, I help run an annual (or 2x a year last time) car specific track day/banquet/gathering that changes locations every year. It's not at all difficult. Now there are reasons to keep it at the same place, I get it. We've even considered it but haven't had a reason to do that yet.

Sadly I couldn't make it this year due to other obligations and love NCM so I'm all for it being at NCM again though.
HPDE/DD: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE || HPDE/DD: 2015 Subaru BRZ ||Tow Vehicle: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 8.1L || Weekend toy: 1994 MR2 Turbo || The other weekend toy: 1993 MR2 Turbo || Track car: 1998 Integra Type-R || Race car: 1996 Integra GS-R || New race car build: 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback

Too many cars.. never.
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 03:53 PM   #34
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrpiii View Post
For those that have been to most Camarofest events, from the beginning, the improvements do keep coming. I noticed them a lot this year. Improvement come from ideas and support for those ideas. If you see something that needs help or improvement, keep giving suggestions, get involved, become a part of it to make it better.

Was there enough test and tune... no, I want to run all day long...lol. But to be fair, it was a blast this year. There were a lot of cars on the drag strip, and as a driver and fan, I loved seeing those fast cars!!

Just hoped the rain would of held off a little more to get some of that grudge racing in. We got some of it in, and that was a blast to talk smack for another year. Racergirl, RJ, Joey, Ruby, and others.. we will be ready and wanting more.

Thanks Mike and Crew for another memorable event. I know myself and all my friends there truly enjoyed it. See you next year!!!!
We listened last year and did increase test and tune. Need to get started early on Friday and join in the classes. Just call it test and tune and run. 3 qualifying runs plus at least one elimination run gets you on the track Saturday afternoon too. We have to keep the track prepped for the big cars late in the day, but I eliminated 2 classes so we could do more TnT per your suggestion last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
Eh, I help run an annual (or 2x a year last time) car specific track day/banquet/gathering that changes locations every year. It's not at all difficult. Now there are reasons to keep it at the same place, I get it. We've even considered it but haven't had a reason to do that yet.

Sadly I couldn't make it this year due to other obligations and love NCM so I'm all for it being at NCM again though.
Nah... it's not difficult at all..

We moved every year except one for the 1st 6 fests. We also have two different tracks. Kinda know the difference
Old 07-19-2019, 03:54 PM   #35
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
So if I'm reading that right BG is locked in for #10 we just need the dates? Should we probably expect same time as always? That would put it Thursday July 9th to Saturday July 11th?
We need to move it a little further away from the other two events happening the weeks prior just to give some recovery time. Dates TBA
Old 07-19-2019, 03:59 PM   #36
Dave-ROR

Quote:
Nah... it's not difficult at all..

We moved every year except one for the 1st 6 fests. We also have two different tracks. Kinda know the difference
I know.. been doing it for 18 years now (with last time being 1 event at Road America and 1 at Thunderhill). I also get the drag strip, which we don't bother with, that certainly does limit your track options. I was just talking about the general logistics of switching locations, not the amount of available venues.

And I wasn't trying to be negative at all.
HPDE/DD: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE || HPDE/DD: 2015 Subaru BRZ ||Tow Vehicle: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 8.1L || Weekend toy: 1994 MR2 Turbo || The other weekend toy: 1993 MR2 Turbo || Track car: 1998 Integra Type-R || Race car: 1996 Integra GS-R || New race car build: 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback

Too many cars.. never.
Old 07-19-2019, 04:09 PM   #37
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
I know.. been doing it for 18 years now (with last time being 1 event at Road America and 1 at Thunderhill). I also get the drag strip, which we don't bother with, that certainly does limit your track options. I was just talking about the general logistics of switching locations, not the amount of available venues.

And I wasn't trying to be negative at all.
If we just did the road track part yes... it would be cake. They are staffed well, have solid rules and pretty much take care of things. Spectators are not normally a huge part of the deal and neither is a car show or vendors at a road track. CFest goes on for 4 days as you know with 2 night time parties, 3 types of track events, car show and lots of spectators. The vendor thing is a part that road tracks don't normally allow and it's a very difficult piece of the puzzle.

We are also timing and competing for awards and AutoX is completely on us for that.

Do you have a link to your event. It actually sounds like something I'd like to make. Really want to just be a participant at this stuff.
Old 07-19-2019, 04:26 PM   #38
Dave-ROR

Quote:
If we just did the road track part yes... it would be cake. They are staffed well, have solid rules and pretty much take care of things. Spectators are not normally a huge part of the deal and neither is a car show or vendors at a road track. CFest goes on for 4 days as you know with 2 night time parties, 3 types of track events, car show and lots of spectators. The vendor thing is a part that road tracks don't normally allow and it's a very difficult piece of the puzzle.

We are also timing and competing for awards and AutoX is completely on us for that.

Do you have a link to your event. It actually sounds like something I'd like to make. Really want to just be a participant at this stuff.
PM'd. And agree with all that We've found a couple of tracks that were OK with Vendor booths/tables but certainly not all were. I think the most open to that that I've seen is NOLA. Never ran an event there but have been to one that had drifting, car show and road track going on at the same time and that event had a bunch of vendor tents/etc. We usually sneak that into our banquet instead (they can setup tables/etc there and raffle stuff away) and near/at the vent merch table but it would be impossible to hide at the scale you are doing.

And 100% get the participant thing too.. at our events I sometimes get 1 session at the track over 2 days.. sometimes none. 3 sessions was the most I've ever gotten.

Sorry for taking the thread down this path. Like I said before I'm all for NCM again, great track and I missed out this year so would love to go next year!

Too many cars.. never.
Old 07-20-2019, 02:08 AM   #39
karmatourer
STD free

Drives: 2018 Bright Yellow LGX M6 RS NPP
Quote:

"Nobody" every got tired? No way to know,I'm sure. There is no way I'd attend the same event year after year at the same location unless it was w/i a couple of hours.
karmatourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 03:47 AM   #40
Bo White

LSFest has been in one location and its grown to be big enough to have an east and west.
Mustang Week has been in one location and its huge.
Old 07-20-2019, 07:25 AM   #41
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmatourer View Post
"Nobody" every got tired? No way to know,I'm sure. There is no way I'd attend the same event year after year at the same location unless it was w/i a couple of hours.
You might if you had a ton of fun and got to see close friends that you only see once a year.. or at least thats why a lot of the faithful make the trip every year. But yes I get it and in your shoes in SW FL I'd probably be the same.

We have a solid base in KY and surrounding areas that will come no matter what. Then many new folks can get there in a one day drive. Over 60% attendance this year were 1st timers. Also, our key volunteers for AutoX are a decent drive away too which helps.

Have you been to CFest?
Old 07-20-2019, 01:29 PM   #42
Bo White

Get up with ones that live near you that go and camarofan up and back together.