Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Z/28 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-24-2019, 11:47 AM   #29
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettmess24 View Post
What else does GM have to offer right now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That’s my point.

Look what Ford does for the Mustang.

Look what Dodge does for the Challenger and Charger.

The only thing keeping GM from doing the same thing for the Camaro is the Corvette. We can’t get a 700+ hp Camaro because of the Corvette. We can’t get a 500+ n/a Camaro because of the Corvette.
Old 05-24-2019, 11:53 AM   #30
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
His point is basically that Camaro still doesn't get the top things Corvette does.

LS6 never went into the Camaro
LS9 never went into the Camaro
LS7 only went into the Camaro when Corvette was not using it.
LT5 most likely not going into Camaro.
He also said the Camaro wouldn’t get the LT4 because there wouldn’t be another engine beyond the LT4

He also said the SS would get a defined version of the LT1.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 11:59 AM   #31
Bhobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
He also said the Camaro wouldn’t get the LT4 because there wouldn’t be another engine beyond the LT4

Yep, you got me there. I said I didn’t expect the LT4 because making two blown Corvettes didn’t and still doesn’t make sense to me.

And I said the LT1 probably wouldn’t be rated the same as the Corvette. The LT1 in the Camaro actually made 458 horsepower, but they rated it 455. Now why would GM willingly rate the Camaro at a lower horsepower rating? Gee, what could it be?
Old 05-24-2019, 12:01 PM   #32
hotlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
That’s my point.

The only thing keeping GM from doing the same thing for the Camaro is the Corvette. We can’t get a 700+ hp Camaro because of the Corvette. We can’t get a 500+ n/a Camaro because of the Corvette.
What? Having the underwhelming GT350 hold back the GT?

Alpha SS 1LE is the greatest performance bargain of all time.

The SS was a game changer in 2016.

The gen6 Camaro sent Ford engineers back to the drawing board

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
Old 05-24-2019, 12:07 PM   #33
hotlap

Quote:
Yep, you got me there. I said I didn’t expect the LT4 because making two blown Corvettes didn’t and still doesn’t make sense to me.

And I said the LT1 probably wouldn’t be rated the same as the Corvette. The LT1 in the Camaro actually made 458 horsepower, but they rated it 455. Now why would GM willingly rate the Camaro at a lower horsepower rating? Gee, what could it be?
Chevy never posted a C7 Z06 Nurburgring ring time. They did the ZL1 and then surprised the world with the ZL1 1LE. Were they held back?

Ronald Reagan -
Old 05-24-2019, 12:23 PM   #34
Bhobbs

Quote:
What? Having the underwhelming GT350 hold back the GT?

Alpha SS 1LE is the greatest performance bargain of all time.

The SS was a game changer in 2016.

The gen6 Camaro sent Ford engineers back to the drawing board
GM engineering is unrivaled, in my opinion. That doesn’t change the fact that GM would never attempt anything like the Voodoo, especially not for the Camaro. That’s what frustrates me as a GM fan. They have all this engineering excellence but the best they can do is a 6.2, a 6.2 with a blower and another 6.2 with a bigger blower? And those two blown 6.2s don’t even rival other blown 6.2s from other companies.
Old 05-24-2019, 12:25 PM   #35
Bhobbs

Quote:
Chevy never posted a C7 Z06 Nurburgring ring time. They did the ZL1 and then surprised the world with the ZL1 1LE. Were they held back?
Yes.

What would the ZL1 have run with 700 horsepower? How about 750 horsepower?

Imagine a ZL1 1LE running a 7:0X.XX on the Ring. But we won’t get that.
Old 05-24-2019, 12:32 PM   #36
Brettmess24

Drives: 17 C7 GS WGG
LT2 vs LT5

Quote:

I think he’s just salty that the sixth gen is so damn good. I’m guessing he’s pissed that the C8 is mid engine and that the Camaro should have been first to ME.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brettmess24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 12:57 PM   #37
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:

Yes he did say that, thanks to Martin though we learned that at ZR-1 was always in the plans at GM. So GM knew the LT-4 would be shared.

The LT-1 in the Corvette is rated at 460, in the camaro its 455. yes its only 5 hp, and yes they probably both are 460, yet GM still rates it higher in the Corvette.

Quote:
That still pisses me off lol. GM took the C6 back 4 different times to get better lap times. Yet not one C7 lap time.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 01:54 PM   #38
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Quote:
That’s my point.

The Mustang is their only big car, and it shares motors with multiple vehicles.

Quote:
They really only started doing this once the decision to axe the Viper came down. Prior to that decision, the Viper was king and nothing exceeded it in performance. Even with a Hellcat motor outperforming the V10, they still opted to keep it that way (when really a Hellcat/Demon powered Viper would have been AWESOME!)

Quote:
Actually, GM already produced a drag pak for the ZL1....that put the car at about 800hp with minimal changes/effort. The reason we haven't got it? You'd have to ask GM.... you can get a 700+HP ZL1 with a simple pulley swap.

With the addition of the new C8, I would expect to see the Camaro finally get its own new toys....but there is no way they are dropping an LT5 into the current ZL1. They wont name a blown motor Camaro a Z/28...because that Heritage means something to them..

More to the point, and the single biggest point, it would make far more sense for them to go all nutjob like the Demon and label it a C.O.P.O Camaro....and yes, this is both accurate and historical..
Old 05-24-2019, 02:44 PM   #39
hotlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
Yes he did say that, thanks to Martin though we learned that at ZR-1 was always in the plans at GM. So GM knew the LT-4 would be shared.

The LT-1 in the Corvette is rated at 460, in the camaro its 455. yes its only 5 hp, and yes they probably both are 460, yet GM still rates it higher in the Corvette.

That still pisses me off lol. GM took the C6 back 4 different times to get better lap times. Yet not one C7 lap time.
The C7 was also rated at 455 HP. The performance exhaust increased it to 460 HP.

Bottom line - Chevy gave Camaro everything it had. They emphasized performance to the detriment of sales (no half hearted V8 like the coming 2020 LT1 trim).

No way you can say they held it back. No way.
Attached Images

Ronald Reagan -
Old 05-24-2019, 02:49 PM   #40
hotlap

Quote:
Yes.

What would the ZL1 have run with 700 horsepower? How about 750 horsepower?

Imagine a ZL1 1LE running a 7:0X.XX on the Ring. But we won’t get that.
Imagine what it would run with 1000 HP.

We know how it works. GM develops engines, transmissions and platforms for the group. Camaro benefits from equipment developed for the best the have at the time. All of the gen6 components were released in Corvette and CTS variants starting in 2014. The car has been nothing but amazing.

Ronald Reagan -
Old 05-24-2019, 03:46 PM   #41
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
The C7 was also rated at 455 HP. The performance exhaust increased it to 460 HP.

Bottom line - Chevy gave Camaro everything it had. They emphasized performance to the detriment of sales (no half hearted V8 like the coming 2020 LT1 trim).

No way you can say they held it back. No way.
Yes you are correct it was 455 back in 14, in 19 looks like the performance exhaust must be standard because it is listed as 460HP standard

EDIT - looks like the Chevy website is a little deceiving. On the 18 model year it says available 460HP, 19 just says 460 HP and when you break down the specs in the website it says this in one spot

"6.2L V8 DI engine

Standard
460 hp @ 6000 rpm
465 lb-ft of torque @ 4600 rpm
0-601 in 3.6 seconds with available 8-speed paddle-shift automatic and Z07 Performance Package
Variable Valve Timing
1 Based on initial vehicle movement., 1 Based on initial vehicle movement."

But this in another spot

* Requires performance exhaust or Z51 package

I'm not saying they held/hold it back per se just that they haven't let it play with all the toys in the chest yet and history has shown they don't/ won't

Quote:
Imagine what it would run with 1000 HP.

We know how it works. GM develops engines, transmissions and platforms for the group. Camaro benefits from equipment developed for the best the have at the time. All of the gen6 components were released in Corvette and CTS variants starting in 2014. The car has been nothing but amazing.
Yes it is the reason why the car is as good as it is. I don't think anyone can deny that. Now maybe it's becuase GM doesn't have to but I can see how to some it's frustrating that with the Camaro it seems to be ok heres the engine line up and that's it.

Meanwhile, across town Ford is willing to pump out two year special editions with unique engines or constantly tweak and upgrade (12/13 BOSS 302, 13/14GT500, 18/19 BULLITT) Dodge bumping up the Hellcat to 717, redeye. I guess the most frustrating part is knowing GM can but won't until it fits what Corvette needs
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 08:28 PM   #42
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by detamble13 View Post
They're going to need a new name when they drop the LT5 in the ZL1 1LE... and ZL2 1LE just doesn't sound right. Why not Z/28? Sticking to the heritage didn't help move the 5th gen Z/28s off dealer lots.
Don't get me wrong I'd love a high revving naturally aspirated engine in a track focused car called Z/28. I just don't see that formula happening any time soon. Plus I'd love to see Chevy fire back at the GT500 when those specs are released. Similar to the way Ford announced their GT500 numbers right after Chevy introduced the ZL1.
How bout a ZL3 1LE? That sound ok?

Camaro will be getting the LT5 but will likely need taller gears in the A10 so the car can hook.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
concept, lt2, lt5, z/28