Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Z/28 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-24-2018, 09:54 PM   #15
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
The 4.2L TT is a Cadillac exlcusive engine. Rumor has it there will be a 5.5L DOHC engine to follow, and that there may be a base N/A version, and a TT version north of 700HP slated for the mid-engine 'vette.

It could be built along side the 4.2L engine at Bowling green.
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 12:15 PM   #16
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefBorOzzy View Post
500 horsepower is underpowered for an alleged 70k mid engine car? Get out of here, dude.
This is 2019 not 1970
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 09:07 PM   #17
Brigante

Drives: Cadillac
Yeah, dream on. Cadillac won't share it with anybody or anything. Exclusive for Cadillac. And thats good. Cadillac should not be associated with the different GM brands.
Brigante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 07:41 AM   #18
Childs Play
Pizza & Wings Only $12.99

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigante View Post
Yeah, dream on. Cadillac won't share it with anybody or anything. Exclusive for Cadillac. And thats good. Cadillac should not be associated with the different GM brands.
So they should pull the LT4 then right?

Past Rides:
2012 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
2012 Camaro ZL1 A6
2017 Camaro 2SS M6
Childs Play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 10:18 AM   #19
whiteboyblues2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Childs Play View Post
So they should pull the LT4 then right?
Yes, Chevy will just have to "settle" for the LT5 instead. (That's sarcasm for those who can't see the stupid look on my face.)

But in reality, Cadillac can keep the 4.2L TT engine as an exclusive engine, because rumor has it there will be a 5.5L version to follow. Remember that when a new engine family is released, it usually starts with the lowest power versions first. Cadillac is releasing a 4.2L TT in two forms, one with 550HP and a "dumbed down" version with only 500HP. NOTICE: I just said "only 500HP". That means what's coming next will never be below this (unless there is a N/A version), and will probably be above the 550HP number too.

A 5.5L TT in this same configuration would make north of 700HP. (My numbers indicate around 720HP.) So, Chevy can have the 5.5L version, and Cadillac can have the 4.2L version. If it turns out that Cadillac will also use the 5.5L TT and it will be exclusive to Cadillac, then Chevy can just have the LT5 (at 755HP for those who are counting).

Either way, there is more to come for Chevy!
Old 03-26-2018, 12:14 PM   #20
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
Yes, Chevy will just have to "settle" for the LT5 instead. (That's sarcasm for those who can't see the stupid look on my face.)

But in reality, Cadillac can keep the 4.2L TT engine as an exclusive engine, because rumor has it there will be a 5.5L version to follow. Remember that when a new engine family is released, it usually starts with the lowest power versions first. Cadillac is releasing a 4.2L TT in two forms, one with 550HP and a "dumbed down" version with only 500HP. NOTICE: I just said "only 500HP". That means what's coming next will never be below this (unless there is a N/A version), and will probably be above the 550HP number too.

A 5.5L TT in this same configuration would make north of 700HP. (My numbers indicate around 720HP.) So, Chevy can have the 5.5L version, and Cadillac can have the 4.2L version. If it turns out that Cadillac will also use the 5.5L TT and it will be exclusive to Cadillac, then Chevy can just have the LT5 (at 755HP for those who are counting).

Either way, there is more to come for Chevy!
Wow. Sounds pretty bleak for Camaro. Ya know...being "held back" by Cadillac and Corvette. (also sarcasm)

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 12:26 PM   #21
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
Wow. Sounds pretty bleak for Camaro. Ya know...being "held back" by Cadillac and Corvette. (also sarcasm)
Let me know when either of these engines will be under the hood of a Camaro.
Old 03-26-2018, 03:39 PM   #22
whiteboyblues2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
Sure, Hotlap and I wlll get some ski-masks and a couple of flashlights, bust into GM headquarters, take pictures of all their plans with our cell phones, and post them here online. You don't happen to know where they keep this stuff do you? That would help us save some time tonight. (That's sarcasm for those who can't see the stupid look on my face.)

But seriously, here are some of the possibilities:

Thing 1: The only obvious Camaro missing from the Gen6 lineup is the Z/28. There are a couple of possibilities here:
a) There will be no Z/28 in the Gen6
b) We will get a Gen6 Z/28 with an existing engine (like the LT4 or LT5)
c) We will get a Gen6 Z/28 with a new engine (like a 5.5L DOHC N/A FPC making 550HP)
d) We get a Z28 that is more than an SS but less than a ZL1 (in performance and price).

Of all the options "a" seems most likely right now. But I am holding out hope for option "c". Okay, it's more like a pipe dream really.

Thing 2: When will any of the new engine family make it to the Camaro lineup?

I don't see any V8TT going into a Camaro until Gen7 at the earliest. UNLESS the new mid-engine 'vette sports a 5.5L DOHC FPC engine as the base engine, and a 5.5L DOHC TT as an upgrade. Then we may have a Gen6 Z/28 with the N/A version of the engine.

Since the rumor is that the Camaro refresh is going to be debuted at the NY auto show, we may see a Z/28 then as well. I doubt it though, because that would mean this particular engine would debut in a Camaro, which is not likely, OR they will debut the Z/28 along with the new mid-engine Covette at the same time (which I also doubt).

If I had to bet money, I would say no Gen6 Z/28 and we will see the new engine family in Camaro in Gen7.

But I would gladly lose that bet to be wrong...
Old 03-26-2018, 06:12 PM   #23
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
What will it take to make you a believer? You doubted the LT1 also and was convicted there was nothing beyond the LT4 in the LT series.
Quote:
Until I see the LT4 sitting in a next gen ZL1 at the same power level as the Z06, I will continue to believe that Chevy will put upper tier Corvette engines in the Camaro unless no other realistic option exists.
I’m not trying to call you out ...you are a sharp guy. Chevy and team Camaro have been pretty impressive in gen6. Have some well grounded faith

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 06:16 PM   #24
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
What will it take to make you a believer? You doubted the LT1 also and was convicted there was nothing beyond the LT4 in the LT series.
So I was wrong about the LT4. I never expected the LT5 because having two supercharged Corvettes makes no sense. I still don't believe they ever intended for that to happen but because they failed with making the Z06 N/A, they had to scramble and make the LT4.

We've now made progress to getting the midrange Corvette engine at the same time. That's a positive step.

I will be a believer when I see a unique Camaro engine.
Old 03-26-2018, 06:44 PM   #25
RedonBlackRS

Drives: 1LT RS 2.0T 8A HD
Well, nothing else got the L99, but I know that's not what we're looking for here...
RedonBlackRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 10:55 AM   #26
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
Sure, Hotlap and I wlll get some ski-masks and a couple of flashlights, bust into GM headquarters, take pictures of all their plans with our cell phones, and post them here online. You don't happen to know where they keep this stuff do you? That would help us save some time tonight. (That's sarcasm for those who can't see the stupid look on my face.)

But seriously, here are some of the possibilities:

Thing 1: The only obvious Camaro missing from the Gen6 lineup is the Z/28. There are a couple of possibilities here:
a) There will be no Z/28 in the Gen6
b) We will get a Gen6 Z/28 with an existing engine (like the LT4 or LT5)
c) We will get a Gen6 Z/28 with a new engine (like a 5.5L DOHC N/A FPC making 550HP)
d) We get a Z28 that is more than an SS but less than a ZL1 (in performance and price).

Of all the options "a" seems most likely right now. But I am holding out hope for option "c". Okay, it's more like a pipe dream really.

Thing 2: When will any of the new engine family make it to the Camaro lineup?

I don't see any V8TT going into a Camaro until Gen7 at the earliest. UNLESS the new mid-engine 'vette sports a 5.5L DOHC FPC engine as the base engine, and a 5.5L DOHC TT as an upgrade. Then we may have a Gen6 Z/28 with the N/A version of the engine.

Since the rumor is that the Camaro refresh is going to be debuted at the NY auto show, we may see a Z/28 then as well. I doubt it though, because that would mean this particular engine would debut in a Camaro, which is not likely, OR they will debut the Z/28 along with the new mid-engine Covette at the same time (which I also doubt).

If I had to bet money, I would say no Gen6 Z/28 and we will see the new engine family in Camaro in Gen7.

But I would gladly lose that bet to be wrong...
I don't see GM doing a FPC engine. Brand jokes aside, look at the trouble Ford had with the 5.2 keeping it from vibrating itself to pieces before prodcution and look at the issues they seem to be having now. I don't see GM going even bigger for a FPC engine.

As far as the Z/28 possibilities: As of today 3/27/18 I say A and D are the most realistic options.

Option C I could see happening (- the FPC part) with the base engine from the mid engine vette. HOWEVER even though most around here like to say Corvette isn't protected anymore, I doubt an all new engine like that debuts in the Camaro first. How long has GM been rumored to be working on a mid engine vette? I simply don't see anything stealing any thunder from that vehicle whenever it appears.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 11:57 AM   #27
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Don't worry be happy, I still believe we are going to see a Z/28, and a new DOHC NA motor in the 6th gen, there is still 3 years left of the 6th gen, and to keep the camaro name in the for front GM will bring it and move the car forward.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 12:31 PM   #28
whiteboyblues2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
I don't see GM doing a FPC engine. Brand jokes aside, look at the trouble Ford had with the 5.2 keeping it from vibrating itself to pieces before prodcution and look at the issues they seem to be having now. I don't see GM going even bigger for a FPC engine.

As far as the Z/28 possibilities: As of today 3/27/18 I say A and D are the most realistic options.

Option C I could see happening (- the FPC part) with the base engine from the mid engine vette. HOWEVER even though most around here like to say Corvette isn't protected anymore, I doubt an all new engine like that debuts in the Camaro first. How long has GM been rumored to be working on a mid engine vette? I simply don't see anything stealing any thunder from that vehicle whenever it appears.
I agree with you. The only reason I mentioned FPC is that this was part of the initial rumor that seems to be coming true. The things about this rumor that came true so far are: 4.2L of displacement, DOHC, and TT. The parts that are not true (so far) are FPC and being built in Tonawanda. So, since much of the rumor is coming true, I have to give some level of credence to the FPC part.

Myself? I don't think we will see FPC because of the reasons you mentioned above. Folks thought that Ford would have a big challenge getting FPC to work with 5.2L of displacement (and they have had challenges for sure), so 5.5L would be even harder. Also, the new Cadillac engine announcement made no mention of FPC and given the numbers they released (with regards to RPM's), it seems to be a CPC to me. But that doesn't mean they can't go FPC for a N/A version of the 5.5L. But I highly doubt it.

Perhaps on this Friday (the first day of the NY Auto show) they will debut a mid-engine vehicle with a 5.5L DOHC TT 720HP, and a Z/28 with the same.

Or, perhaps there will be both cars, but the Camaro gets a detuned version of the 5.5.

Or, perhaps we won't see a Z/28 at all. We will see a mid-engine something, because we keep seeing mules, but no Z/28 mule has been spotted.