Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 08-04-2016, 04:51 PM   #15
Slem

Drives: 2016 Summit White 2SS (Auto) Loaded
Hmmmm first time to the track with new combo, I'm gonna guess 11.23 @ 125 mph
Slem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 09:51 AM   #16
ponchss

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, 2006 corvette
We have a similar altitude at my local track (El Paso, TX) and I ran against a LMR 650 package C7 Corvette (ECS supercharged). He ran 12.0 at 126 but he was running a manual transmission. With the A8, I think you can run a 11.4 with a good tire out back. If not, it will be spin city lol.
ponchss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 07:29 AM   #17
laynlo15

Drives: 2022 Lt1 A10
I'm in at 10.85@129
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Maggie 2300, THPSI Port Inj/10 rib, Rotofab, E, Nickey, SCOL, Griptech, RC Bandits, Hoosiers/MT 9.80@142.96 1.44 60ft, 6.34@112 707/669 RWHP/TRQ. 16SS Maggie 2650 9.41@147 1.35 60ft, 5.99@119. 16 C7 A8 10.90@128 Bolt on stuff
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 09:45 AM   #18
1LE801
"Lohla"

Drives: 2016 1SS A8 :"Lohla"
Traction will be addressed for sure. Man, I hope you're all right. If I run 11s my first time out, I'll be happy. Low 11s that is (fingers crossed)
Old 08-12-2016, 06:26 AM   #19
ericspt

Drives: '14 Z51 C7 SC'd, '14 S4, '15 SQ5
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesBaer View Post
If you're going over 650 at the wheel you better have him add some forged pistons ($1200 I think) to that. It's not a guarantee that they'll go, but it seems to be the Achilles heal of the LT1 for the C7 guys.
Most are at 700rwhp without forged pistons with no problems.

There are some pushing it higher than there but the safe limit based on a ton of cars out on the roads is 700rwhp.

If the fuel system is the same as the C7 then it does get touchy near 580rwhp without meth. What will work on a dyno and what will make it live are two different things. For the cost, ease, and additional benefits of meth its cheap insurance.
ericspt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 09:17 AM   #20
1LE801
"Lohla"

Drives: 2016 1SS A8 :"Lohla"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericspt View Post
Most are at 700rwhp without forged pistons with no problems.

There are some pushing it higher than there but the safe limit based on a ton of cars out on the roads is 700rwhp.

If the fuel system is the same as the C7 then it does get touchy near 580rwhp without meth. What will work on a dyno and what will make it live are two different things. For the cost, ease, and additional benefits of meth its cheap insurance.
Agreed! Meth is a must IMO. Too many benefits not to use it. Jordan isn't one for pushing pass the fuel limits. 600 RWHP is my magic number.
Old 08-16-2016, 11:29 AM   #21
Speedy1975
FASTER!

Drives: Challenger Hellcat, 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LE801 View Post
Agreed! Meth is a must IMO. Too many benefits not to use it. Jordan isn't one for pushing pass the fuel limits. 600 RWHP is my magic number.
Interesting comment. In the Dodge world almost no one uses water meth injection. I see it a lot more on the Chevy forum. I called a shop who sponsors here about getting it for my Challenger and they recommended against it as well.

I do have a kit I'm about to install on my supercharged 4Runner, but that supercharger from TRD doesn't have an intercooler AT ALL or a heat exchanger, so it will help A LOT. Having said that, I have run the blower on the truck for almost 10 years as is.

Speedy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 12:02 PM   #22
TransAmx2

Drives: '98 Pontiac Trans Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy1975 View Post
Interesting comment. In the Dodge world almost no one uses water meth injection. I see it a lot more on the Chevy forum. I called a shop who sponsors here about getting it for my Challenger and they recommended against it as well.
Interesting, did they give any reason to not run water/meth injection? or do you have a theory?

I haven't heard of any negatives besides the extreme scenario where a car is tuned to have it there and then it either runs out of liquid or some failure on the meth system causes a loss of the liquid injection resulting in all sorts of bad possibilities.
2007 Z51 Corvette M6 (Salvage Project Car)
1987 Trans Am 350tpi A4 RIP
TransAmx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 12:20 PM   #23
Atomic Ed

Drives: 2001 Audi TT, 2016 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy1975 View Post

I do have a kit I'm about to install on my supercharged 4Runner, but that supercharger from TRD doesn't have an intercooler AT ALL or a heat exchanger, so it will help A LOT. Having said that, I have run the blower on the truck for almost 10 years as is.
Same here for the Audi/VW world. Water/meth injection does wonders for turbos with air-air intercoolers. But long term reliability became an issue. I had water/meth injection on my Audi and after three pump failures, I removed it.

The long term failure trend was picked up by the Audi world and the general consensus was for a daily driver, the risk wasn't worth it. Once you dial in the advantages of injection into your tune, you can quickly get into trouble if the pump fails or you run out of fluid. For a dedicated weekend warrior, sure, a great investment. Not so much for a DD in my opinion.

I would suggest get your fueling on the money first for the power you seek. Then add in water/meth if you want to fiddle with it.
Atomic Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 01:29 PM   #24
Speedy1975
FASTER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransAmx2 View Post
Interesting, did they give any reason to not run water/meth injection? or do you have a theory?

I haven't heard of any negatives besides the extreme scenario where a car is tuned to have it there and then it either runs out of liquid or some failure on the meth system causes a loss of the liquid injection resulting in all sorts of bad possibilities.
See below.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Ed View Post
Same here for the Audi/VW world. Water/meth injection does wonders for turbos with air-air intercoolers. But long term reliability became an issue. I had water/meth injection on my Audi and after three pump failures, I removed it.

The long term failure trend was picked up by the Audi world and the general consensus was for a daily driver, the risk wasn't worth it. Once you dial in the advantages of injection into your tune, you can quickly get into trouble if the pump fails or you run out of fluid. For a dedicated weekend warrior, sure, a great investment. Not so much for a DD in my opinion.

I would suggest get your fueling on the money first for the power you seek. Then add in water/meth if you want to fiddle with it.
This is what the shop I reached out to told me, failures were common on meth injection systems and it was strongly advised NOT to tune for the meth, meaning there was zero benefit. That could have been older kits, dunno. I'll find out soon enough on the 4Runner. 4Runner is unique in that I was able to add the supercharger to it without any tuning and that was supported by Toyota in documentation. However, It didn't run near as well as it does now with a piggy back and me tuning it (+40RWHP), but the risk is greatly lessened with running the meth on a meth tune which I plan to do and pick up 20 or 30 more RWHP if I'm lucky. If I run out or the system fails the engine isn't likely to eat itself since it can run just fine without anything. This isn't the case for the Camaro, or my Challenger. Both of those will blow up real quick if not tuned properly, or if tuned for meth and it runs out or has a problem. No bueno.

I went with the Coolingmist setup for the 4Runner. They had a pretty good rep on the 4Runner forum and without a heat exchanger or intercooler, they make a significant difference on that vehicle's supercharged setup. It basically becomes a chemical intercooler with the octane benefit to prevent detonation. The Camaro kits all have intercoolers and heat exchangers, so not needed IMO. On the 4Runner tune, you can't directly control the timing. The computer still has final control. I simply removed timing from a few places to avoid detonation, but the timing advance is still all OEM. The cooler the charge, and the less the cats heat up, the more timing the computer will automatically feed the engine, thus the meth is a great benefit. On the Camaro, the timing is controlled in the tune and you get what's commanded, so again no benefit there.

When I was considering meth injection for the Challenger, the shop I talked to said to just go to N20 and skip meth. It is a WELL respected shop on this forum. You get cooling as well as extra power and the kits were described as much more robust and reliable. Not something you'd want in a DD, obviously, but that's the direction I'll go in the Challenger if I want more.

Old 08-17-2016, 03:23 PM   #25
Atomic Ed

A few of the Audi folks left their injection systems in place went to just water only injection for hot days, manual toggle. Of course they had to greatly reduce flow since there isn't any fuel value without the meth. The need for meth tuning went away. I didn't think it was worth it myself.

And FYI Speedy, I went from a Snow pump, to a coolingmist pump, and back to a Snow pump. Even ran direct to the battery with a relay. Finally gave up.
Old 08-17-2016, 03:53 PM   #26
Speedy1975
FASTER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Ed View Post
A few of the Audi folks left their injection systems in place went to just water only injection for hot days, manual toggle. Of course they had to greatly reduce flow since there isn't any fuel value without the meth. The need for meth tuning went away. I didn't think it was worth it myself.

And FYI Speedy, I went from a Snow pump, to a coolingmist pump, and back to a Snow pump. Even ran direct to the battery with a relay. Finally gave up.
Good to know. I do plan to use a relay with the pump to the battery with an ignition +12V source on the relay. We'll see how we do.

This is the pump that came with mine. Was this what you had? I know at one time the pumps weren't compatible with the meth and it would eat seals in them over time. Not sure if these are newer models that correct that or not, but they claim they are.

http://www.coolingmist.com/pagedispl...er_Pumps,parts

Old 08-17-2016, 05:38 PM   #27
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
The tvs supercharger rotor coating does not really like methanol. It will eventually erode the coating. If you are overdriving the supercharger and getting it really hot then the methanol seems to eat the coating faster. This is from first hand experience on my ZL1.

Everyone I know that advocates the use of Methanol says tune the car to run on the gas in the tank and then spray the Meth on top of it for cooling and a buffer against knock and the negative effects of knock. Since this LT1 motor came out in the C7 and the aftermarket is trying to build powerful motors a lot of tuners are going down the methanol path to get horsepower you just cannot make when you have 11.5 to 1 compression ratio and boost. I'm just going to throw this out there but I don't think anyone can possibly make 750 or more whp on just pump gasoline on a stock LT1 motor. To run this kind of compression and boost you only have a few options. High octane race gas, alcohol fuel (E85) or spray a bunch of methanol and tune the car to use methanol as a fuel to compensate for the octane deficiency. I'm seeing more and more of this kind of methanol use and it was a big temptation on my turbo car to spray a load of meth so I could run more boost.

To be honest I'm considering buying a LT4 crate motor from Jegs mainly for the lower compression 10 to 1 pistons. The plus is then I have all of the mechanical fuel Pump and injector upgrades as part of the package and no engine disassembly at all. Anyone interested in buying a slightly used LT1 with only 6000 miles on it and a never been used LT4 supercharger?

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 06:28 PM   #28
Atomic Ed

Speedy, I looked at that pump, but we're talking 5-6 years ago when I fooled around with it. Hopefully they have improved over time.