Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-23-2023, 10:50 PM   #1
Rogueleader_92

Drives: Chevy camaro, Chevy cruze
iPod question

I've searched and best I could find people were talking about the mylink system from the beginning of the 6th gen but I've got an upgraded 8inch unit on my 23.

I have been somewhat annoyed by how the car/android auto almost always auto launches pandora on my phone unless I've been actively listening to something else then it plays that (I use 2 different apps to listen to music or audio books). I only keep a higher tempo "bike mix" music list on my phone for when I ride so it's light on what music I actually want in a car when I just want to relax.

The other day I noticed when I had my phone plugged in to charge the car recognized the phone through the plug so I figured I could play music through the USB port.

I have an old ipod mini (gen3) I used in my old 2010 camaro, the battery is basically dead but worked fine when plugged in and gave me access to everything when I wanted to search. When I tried on my 23 Camaro it dosen't seem to see it. Is there any way to use these old ipods?

Blue 2023 Camaro, 3LT, RS.
Rogueleader_92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 08:04 AM   #2
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Turn off the "Autostart music" option on Android Auto.

As far as the iPod specific question goes, I don't know if it will work. I just traded a 2015 Silverado that I had an iPod Touch connected to for 8 years and it worked great. My 2024 Silverado doesn't recognize it being connected.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 09:18 AM   #3
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
These old USB audio players will only be recognized if they can act / masquerade as mass storage devices (as in, a USB pen drive or an SD card), because they aren't supported natively. I never had an iPod, so I don't know if it has a setting to configure that, something similar to the USB connection type configuration (power only for charging, MTP or raw storage, maybe more) on Android phones.

(Totally unrelated fun fact, I still have a Samsung Omnia 7 (Windows Phone!) device from 2010 that was a promo gift from Microsoft Research, it had this thing called Zune, the biggest disaster in the world of copycat media player/managers. It was a totally unusable heap even when it was "current", zero compatibility, embarrassing "feature set" and a total lack of attention. Luckily I managed to save all photos off of it many years ago and now use this phone as an alarm clock in airplane mode.

The battery is surprisingly vigorous in this mode, I can get 15-16 days out of it before I need to hook it up to a charger.)

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18

Last edited by arpad_m; 11-24-2023 at 02:00 PM.
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 10:15 AM   #4
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
ipod connection to usb for power.
ipod headphone jack to aux in for sound.
You will have to navigate using your museum piece, but it will work.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 11:18 AM   #5
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
These old USB audio players will only be recognized if they can act/masquarede as mass storage devices (as in, a USB pen drive or an SD card), because they aren't supported natively. I never had an iPod, so I don't know if it has a setting to configure that, something similar to the USB connection type configuration (power only for charging, MTP or raw storage, maybe more) on Android phones.
None of the iOS devices can be configured to operate as a mass storage device. The oldest iPod's actually can be set up that way, but the ones with the touch interface run the same software as the phones and those don't support it.

Personally, I find it stupid that my 2015 truck (and every vehicle before it) supported my iPod without issue but now it no longer works. The alternative of using a USB flash drive or similar has also burned me badly in the Camaro as it led to ALL KINDS of weird operational issues with the car that made no sense where certain things would stop working or the HUD would illuminate the positioning markers on its own while I was driving as if I were manually adjusting the position of the info. I had to permanently remove the USB flash drive from the car that had all of my music on it to stop all of these odd gremlins.

Why can't GM do something SMART like allowing the infotainment system to fully "boot up" before attempting to mount drives via the USB ports and read data from them? All these problems are because they don't code the software to operate in a proper manner...
Old 11-24-2023, 01:23 PM   #6
Tyrolblue67

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Camaro
I plugged my iPod in the USB outlet in my console storage area.
It pops up as an option on my infotainment screen. I can use the volume and forward/pause songs from the steering wheel controls.
Songs that are playing display on the screen as well.
My car is a 2019 ZL1 with navigation and pdr. (I don't think that matters)
Tyrolblue67
Tyrolblue67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2023, 11:20 AM   #7
ZR1-OK

Drives: 22 ZL1 23 1SS Redline
I just tried my older walkman in my 23’ and it works too without an audio out cable just the usb. The media center knows what it is and labels in Walkman basically treats in like a data stick
ZR1-OK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 09:46 AM   #8
Rogueleader_92

I gave up on the iPod, I had a microSD card from an old phone (dam Samsung for dropping micro support on the new galaxy phones) so I just deleted everything and loaded only songs in folders on it (to avoid any "gremlins" like ember had). Popped it into a USB thumb stick reader and it works fine so far with similar control/features to the old iPod controls on the 10.

Old 11-28-2023, 09:48 AM   #9
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogueleader_92 View Post
I gave up on the iPod, I had a microSD card from an old phone (dam Samsung for dropping micro support on the new galaxy phones) so I just deleted everything and loaded only songs in folders on it (to avoid any "gremlins" like ember had). Popped it into a USB thumb stick reader and it works fine so far with similar control/features to the old iPod controls on the 10.
I have everything sorted by Artist then Album on a SD Card. I created a few playlists that are at the root of the drive. Leaving the card in a USB reader is what caused all of my issues. I suppose it might be worth trying it again in the spring when I see the car again... See if some sort of OTA update corrected items (or if the battery replacement they ended up doing when the car was 18 months old) corrected any of the oddities.
Old 11-29-2023, 12:56 AM   #10
Rogueleader_92

Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
I have everything sorted by Artist then Album on a SD Card. I created a few playlists that are at the root of the drive. Leaving the card in a USB reader is what caused all of my issues. I suppose it might be worth trying it again in the spring when I see the car again... See if some sort of OTA update corrected items (or if the battery replacement they ended up doing when the car was 18 months old) corrected any of the oddities.
Mine worked for the ride to work then stopped reading the card when I was headed home, I'll try a normal thumb drive in the next few days.

Old 11-29-2023, 10:08 AM   #11
ctrlz

Quote:
I'll try a normal thumb drive in the next few days.
The interface does have a reputation for being finicky with certain thumb drives. I have had good luck with Samsung bar usb.
Old 12-12-2023, 10:12 AM   #12
Rogueleader_92

I got a new thumb drive (don't remember the brand) and tried to transfer all my files from the SD card/drive and they didn't want to all go at once. They would go in batches until I hit one specific file. When I opened it up half the mp3's were corrupted. Guessing that's why it stopped working but why would the car be able to corrupt the files (source files were fine, I used them to load onto the new drive)?

Old 12-12-2023, 11:22 AM   #13
ctrlz

Quote:
They would go in batches until I hit one specific file. When I opened it up half the mp3's were corrupted.
I have this mp3 analyzer app on my PC at home (freeware).
Has come in handy over the years for mysterious problems like you are having. Might want to scan the drive.
I will post name of app when I get home.
Old 12-13-2023, 12:10 PM   #14
Rogueleader_92

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
I have this mp3 analyzer app on my PC at home (freeware).
Has come in handy over the years for mysterious problems like you are having. Might want to scan the drive.
I will post name of app when I get home.
I reformatted the card once I had everything off it that wasn't bad then scanned the card for errors. Didn't "find" anything repairable but I'll be cautious with what I put on it in the future. Again, everything on it was just music I copied from my computer so no losses with it.

Just odd it worked for about an hour then the car stopped recognizing it. I'm guessing it found errors when indexing the music but it was only about 2-3GB and the corrupted file was about half way through so I wouldn't think it should take all that long to do the original indexing making me think something happened between the car and card that caused the corruption.