Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-04-2016, 05:55 PM   #29
Believe it

Drives: Camaro SS. 2001 Z3 M coupe
I was cruising the BMW CPO looking to trade out of my 335 vert with expiring warranty, when the car hauler showed up with a brand new M235i, loaded, Estoril Blue. Intrigued I drove it down the dealership drive, got about 200 yards, and bought it. First one in South Carolina for sure, and the best driving car I had been in in years, especially BMW.

That was 21/2 years and 45k miles ago, Dinan springs, ECU flash tuned over 370 rwhp, M3 control arms and a few other suspension bits, every bit the equal to the M2, and all told probably more money in it. But it left me on the side of the road 3 times, once in a fairly dangerous spot when one of the auxiliary radiators gave up from something making it through the mesh over the big breathers in the front fascia.

Can't find an M2 at less than 10 k over MSRP, and I won't keep a modern BMW without warranty, so I am the proud driver of a 2016 2SS A8, and I hope to never look back. Upgrade path looks awesome, but I really don't expect to need to make many changes. Headed to the mountains next week and looking forward to attacking some favorite routes. Only 230 miles into this so far,but I am very impressed with all aspects of this car, not the least of which is the overall value, truly incredible.
Believe it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 07:42 PM   #30
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Believe it View Post
I was cruising the BMW CPO looking to trade out of my 335 vert with expiring warranty, when the car hauler showed up with a brand new M235i, loaded, Estoril Blue. Intrigued I drove it down the dealership drive, got about 200 yards, and bought it. First one in South Carolina for sure, and the best driving car I had been in in years, especially BMW.

That was 21/2 years and 45k miles ago, Dinan springs, ECU flash tuned over 370 rwhp, M3 control arms and a few other suspension bits, every bit the equal to the M2, and all told probably more money in it. But it left me on the side of the road 3 times, once in a fairly dangerous spot when one of the auxiliary radiators gave up from something making it through the mesh over the big breathers in the front fascia.

Can't find an M2 at less than 10 k over MSRP, and I won't keep a modern BMW without warranty, so I am the proud driver of a 2016 2SS A8, and I hope to never look back. Upgrade path looks awesome, but I really don't expect to need to make many changes. Headed to the mountains next week and looking forward to attacking some favorite routes. Only 230 miles into this so far,but I am very impressed with all aspects of this car, not the least of which is the overall value, truly incredible.
Congrats and thanks for sharing. I'm 2200 miles into mine and it magical.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 05:11 PM   #31
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
Quote:

How does the SS compare to your M Coupe?
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 02:56 PM   #32
Believe it

Drives: Camaro SS. 2001 Z3 M coupe
I am planning a trip to the mountains next weekend, my daughter will be playing a tournament in Gatlinburg, and I will have a more definitive comparison after that. The SS is not as toss able, but more tuna makes up for that with the excellent LSD, turn in, rock the pedal and the car rotates. It is a better hi way cruiser, more planted, better feel, much more comfortable seats, even without lumbar and adjustable thigh support. The reaction to certain maneuvers in traffic with the SS, seems much more visceral and an invitation to race, maybe the a$$hat in the BMW was anticipated and ignored. I do not particularly miss any part of it, I will find out for sure this weekend.
Believe it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 01:59 PM   #33
Samson2029

Drives: 328xi, ML400, ZL1 man. 2013
I am a zl1 and BMW owner and have been shopping around to replace the BMW. After a thorough review and testing of 2016 228, 235m, 320, 328, 340. I decided to fix up and clean up my old 328 v6. I was not at all impressed. If I did not have the mighty zl1' I would purchase a 2017 1LE without hesitation over these new BMW gizmo cars. I was also shocked to find 4 cylinder BMWs as expensive and some even more compared to my old ZL1.
Samson2029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 08:30 PM   #34
wjones14

Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition
I posted in this thread 5 months ago saying I would not consider swapping my M235i for a Camaro, but now I am seriously considering it. After owning the BMW for 16 months, I'm at the point where I like it, but don't love it.

Previous to the BMW, I owned a 2005 Mustang GT for 10 years and loved it right up to the day I sold it. It was head-turning yellow, visceral, raw, made the right noises, was a comfortable daily driver and a decent track car. Plus, it ran on 87 octane, and never had a single problem over the 10 years, not even a minor issue.

So why don't I love the BMW? It's pretty simple actually - I miss the NA V8. Until I bought the BMW, all I ever had were U.S. V8 manual transmission cars, starting with a 1974 Z28 when I was 18. I bought 2 other new Z28s (when they were affordable ), 3 Mustang GTs, and a couple other muscle cars.

BMW did a great job of minimizing turbo lag. I've taken the car to two track days and the lag is not an issue. The car has plenty of power. But as a street car, the lag is noticeable. Things you take for granted in a Camaro or Mustang, like snapping off quick hard 1-2 or 2-3 shifts, result in the rear tires breaking loose and the limited slip laying down serious rubber. In the BMW it's hard to get a chirp out of the tires on the 1-2 shift because of the momentary throttle hesitation and the dreaded clutch delay valve. The engineers want the driving experience to be refined which it is, but I miss the raw, visceral, heavy duty mechanical feel of U.S. muscle.

I just saw this new 2SS on autotrader.com and it is exactly how I would order one - the right options and the right color. The MSRP is $2K less than the sticker on mine. I plan on taking a ride to see this car in person, hopefully driving it, and then I can see what the deal would end up being.
Previous: 2018 Summit White 2SS 1LE; 2015 MINI Cooper F56 6MT; 2015 BMW M235i 6MT; 2003 MINI 5MT; 2005 Mustang GT 5MT
wjones14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 03:20 AM   #35
fzr100098
Banned

Drives: 2016 2SS Hyper Blue
Great time to buy, 10+% off
fzr100098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 03:24 AM   #36
fzr100098
Banned

Drives: 2016 2SS Hyper Blue
Quote:
This is the main reason I'm staying away from BMW (love the S1000RR though) - forced induction engines have more problems (and contaminate oil faster). When anything breaks on a BMW it's going to be crazy expensive. I like to keep cars at least 7-8 years, well out of warranty. The Camaro is simple, reliable V8 power

Plus as others have said, BMWs are everywhere, almost as common as the dreaded G37/Q60/whatever the heck it is now

When I need a tossable car I break out the 2800 lb FD RX-7, which runs down M2s with ease (370 rwhp)
fzr100098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 09:25 AM   #37
cleoent

Drives: 16' Camaro E-Force SS
I'm another bmw transplant. Had a e60 m5 (v10, so good) for years. It took one "im bored lets go drive a camaro" and the next day I was a Chevy guy.

I miss the ridiculous free way speeds of the bmw, the 4 doors, and the smg during spirited driving, but other than that so much happier. The bmw spent about 30 days a year on average over me 4 years of ownership at the dealer.
cleoent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 02:20 PM   #38
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 Jetta 1.8, '19 1SS
If you like the Camaro more than the M, then do it. You must be rich or don't mind losing $$ b/c you'll be losing gobs of it trading in an almost new Beemer.

I wouldn't do it personally as I wouldn't want to lose $$$ so fast. Plus the M235i is a great car.
cbr1100xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 11:46 PM   #39
HF Integrale

Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samson2029 View Post
I am a zl1 and BMW owner and have been shopping around to replace the BMW. After a thorough review and testing of 2016 228, 235m, 320, 328, 340. I decided to fix up and clean up my old 328 v6
You mean 328 I6, right?
HF Integrale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 11:46 AM   #40
wjones14

Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr1100xx View Post
If you like the Camaro more than the M, then do it. You must be rich or don't mind losing $$ b/c you'll be losing gobs of it trading in an almost new Beemer.

I wouldn't do it personally as I wouldn't want to lose $$$ so fast. Plus the M235i is a great car.
I took a ride to the dealer with the white/red adrenaline 6-speed 2SS. The car was beautiful. MSRP was $51K, which is the same as my 2015 M235i. The 2SS was in their Rhode Island showroom, and there's a bunch of construction going on there, so it would have been a major hassle to pull the car out for a test drive. Unfortunately, the salesman didn't really make that clear when I called prior to making the hour drive.

He would have done what it takes to move the car out of the showroom had I been serious about doing a deal that day, but first he wanted to just work out the deal to see if was even acceptable. Mine is a year old now with 6500 miles, always garaged, never driven in rain or below freezing weather, still showroom condition. The offer was the 2SS discounted to $46K and $32K trade-in for mine. No way...

The KBB trade-in value of mine should have been closer to $38K, which is still a lot of depreciation in one year for a car still in mint condition and lower than average mileage, but he couldn't come close to that value because it's a Chevy dealership, and there's not going to be much demand for a 2 Series BMW. I do understand that.

Had the 6th Gen 2SS been available when I bought the 2 Series, with both essentially the same MSRP, it would have been a tough choice. I still need to drive a 2SS before I'd know for sure, but now I'm just leaning toward keeping the M235i for another year or two, and then trading it for an M2 (where hopefully I could get top value on trade-in).

Disappointed...
Previous: 2018 Summit White 2SS 1LE; 2015 MINI Cooper F56 6MT; 2015 BMW M235i 6MT; 2003 MINI 5MT; 2005 Mustang GT 5MT
wjones14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 10:35 PM   #41
bruinmd

Drives: 2016 2SS Vert/Black/M6/NPP/Mag ride
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjones14 View Post
I took a ride to the dealer with the white/red adrenaline 6-speed 2SS. The car was beautiful. MSRP was $51K, which is the same as my 2015 M235i. The 2SS was in their Rhode Island showroom, and there's a bunch of construction going on there, so it would have been a major hassle to pull the car out for a test drive. Unfortunately, the salesman didn't really make that clear when I called prior to making the hour drive.

He would have done what it takes to move the car out of the showroom had I been serious about doing a deal that day, but first he wanted to just work out the deal to see if was even acceptable. Mine is a year old now with 6500 miles, always garaged, never driven in rain or below freezing weather, still showroom condition. The offer was the 2SS discounted to $46K and $32K trade-in for mine. No way...

The KBB trade-in value of mine should have been closer to $38K, which is still a lot of depreciation in one year for a car still in mint condition and lower than average mileage, but he couldn't come close to that value because it's a Chevy dealership, and there's not going to be much demand for a 2 Series BMW. I do understand that.

Had the 6th Gen 2SS been available when I bought the 2 Series, with both essentially the same MSRP, it would have been a tough choice. I still need to drive a 2SS before I'd know for sure, but now I'm just leaning toward keeping the M235i for another year or two, and then trading it for an M2 (where hopefully I could get top value on trade-in).

Disappointed...
wait a year or so, would be my advice.

I'm deciding between the M2 and the 1SS/1LE. Both so different and fun in different ways, but I'm not sure how much longer I'm willing to put up with the bs from my bmw dealer.

Of course, we still don't have a date set on ordering the 1LE either.
bruinmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 01:44 PM   #42
Lafourche1

Drives: 2019 CLA 450 Mercedes
Come on over to the dark side. I've had a few BMWs. Everything from the steering wheel is an option pricing to the questionable reliability has steered me away from the marque. My last one was a 335i hardtop convertible. It had the sport seats with lumbar and thigh extension support along with most every other option. I actually found the 2SS with MRC more comfortable on my recent 4,000 mile road trip than 2,500 mile road trips I took in the BMW. The easy torque of the LT1 makes long distance cruising an effortless endeavor. Push the button when the road changes and everything firms up and the LT1 keeps delivering that effortless power well up into sweep of the speedometer.

That's my two cents, only worth a single penny in today's economy.
Lafourche1 is offline   Reply With Quote