Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic modifications (exterior and interior)

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-28-2020, 08:37 AM   #1
Wintermute

Drives: 2020 LT1
Blind spot mirrors

As I'm sure we all know by now, the Camaro has a blind spot you could park a bulldozer in. Picked up these little blind spot mirrors on Amazon for $12. Best money I have spent on this car so far. You can see from the picture just how wide the view is. They are on a ball joint and can be moved and adjusted.
Attached Images

Old 06-28-2020, 10:03 AM   #2
Abubaca

Drives: 2016 SS
Thanks for posting!
Abubaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 10:31 AM   #3
17rsvert

Drives: 2017 HBM 2LT RS Convertible V6 A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintermute View Post
As I'm sure we all know by now, the Camaro has a blind spot you could park a bulldozer in.
Sorry, but this is not known by all, only those who have their mirrors improperly adjusted.

I adjust my side mirrors so that any cars behind and to the side of me I can always see in either my rearview or side mirrors. During the transition from one to the other there is a point of overlap where I see these cars in both side and rear mirrors at the same time. Before those cars are too far forward to see in my side views, they are already visible directly out my side windows.

If you can see the rear quarter panels of your car in your side view mirrors (without leaning towards them) the mirrors are angled too far inward creating the blind spots.

But if you feel safer adding the extra mirrors, go for it.
17rsvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 11:02 AM   #4
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17rsvert View Post
Sorry, but this is not known by all, only those who have their mirrors improperly adjusted.

I adjust my side mirrors so that any cars behind and to the side of me I can always see in either my rearview or side mirrors. During the transition from one to the other there is a point of overlap where I see these cars in both side and rear mirrors at the same time. Before those cars are too far forward to see in my side views, they are already visible directly out my side windows.

If you can see the rear quarter panels of your car in your side view mirrors (without leaning towards them) the mirrors are angled too far inward creating the blind spots.

But if you feel safer adding the extra mirrors, go for it.
THIS! THIS! THIS!

I'm always harping on my wife and daughters because they all run their side mirrors where they can see the side of the car and they are creating a blind spot! I run my side view mirrors rather fat our, and before the car disappears the rear view mirror (I have a 2020 2SS with the upper fin mounted rear camera for the rear view mirror and it works great) I can see it in my side mirror and long before it disappears in the side view mirror I can see it along side of me out the window...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:18 AM   #5
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Properly adjusted mirrors will create a transitional view from one outside mirror to the inside mirror and then to the other outside mirror. You should have a "panoramic view" of sorts with little overlap. I agree that many drivers have their mirrors pulled in too far.

My Silverado has one of those convex mirrors built into the mirror on the driver's side, and I find it to be very helpful when changing lanes to the left even though my mirror is adjusted correctly, but because it allows me to see the exact position of a vehicle in that lane not just know there's something there.

If you feel you need more, go for it. I would personally be hesitant to mount something like this on such an expensive piece of glass (mine is auto-dim and heated) for fear of damaging it. Plus, it would be counter-productive to have it be an auto-dim mirror with an area that doesn't auto-dim.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 11:55 AM   #6
Abubaca

My 6th gen has far and away the worst visibility of any vehicle I've even owned. Yes, with proper adjustment, I agree the concave mirrors are not needed. However, I prefer as much overlap from rear view, to side view to looking over my shouder as possible. With the Camaro, that is very little. Adjustment has gotta be perfect. Still, it does eliminate blind spots. PLUS....even with properly adjusted mirrors, you can still easily misjudge depth, where as looking over your shoulder can be better. There's that famous little disclaimer on each passenger side mirror for that very reason.

I would definitely put that little concave mirror on if the SS wasn't my baby. At the end of the day, I DO feel I can see well enough. Still, Visibility is terrible, and I don't fault anyone who wants to add a little extra. I don't see why this issue triggers so many of you.
Old 06-29-2020, 12:00 PM   #7
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abubaca View Post
I don't see why this issue triggers so many of you.
I don't see this as a "triggering" item since everyone so far has said that while they may want visibility to better than it is, mirror adjustments make a big difference and that everyone should do what they feel is best for them.

Old 06-29-2020, 01:02 PM   #8
Abubaca

Well in this case I suppose you're right. Find any thread about strengths and weaknesses and as soon as someone mentions visibility, it's game on. Like talk about crappy trunk opening for worthless back seats and that's ok, but somehow visibility isn't fair game. -but you're right....in this thread, maybe not. With other cars I've owned, you owned the weaknesses of your chosen ride, and it was almost like a badge of honor with your fellow owners. 6th gens seem to be very different. People get upset. Heck I LOVE my car....but it ain't exactly the best we've seen from GM. It just performs so well it's hard NOT to like it!!!!!
Old 06-29-2020, 01:13 PM   #9
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Well in this case I suppose you're right. Find any thread about strengths and weaknesses and as soon as someone mentions visibility, it's game on. Like talk about crappy trunk opening for worthless back seats and that's ok, but somehow visibility isn't fair game. -but you're right....in this thread, maybe not. With other cars I've owned, you owned the weaknesses of your chosen ride, and it was almost like a badge of honor with your fellow owners. 6th gens seem to be very different. People get upset. Heck I LOVE my car....but it ain't exactly the best we've seen from GM. It just performs so well it's hard NOT to like it!!!!!
I will acknowledge/admit that I can absolutely see visibility as a general TOPIC could be something that starts wars of words but it definitely isn't happening in this thread. So, yeah... I agree with where you were coming from and am glad that it isn't causing heartburn and arguments here.

Personally, I feel that there's too much "tech for tech's sake" in this car. And to lose useful features (like an integrated garage door opener) to gain a camera for the rear-view mirror isn't a trade-off that I would have personally made. Then again, rear visibility in a convertible with the top down is pretty much as good as you can get. lol
Old 06-29-2020, 04:16 PM   #10
17rsvert

Drives: 2017 HBM 2LT RS Convertible V6 A8
Perhaps it is a triggering issue with me because my family, friends and I need to share the roads with other drivers. Has little to do with whether it's a Camaro or not.

Why wouldn't I want ALL other drivers adjusting their mirrors properly, eliminating blind spots, and making the roads safer for everyone?
17rsvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 04:31 PM   #11
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
I set my mirrors in the proper method described where they overlap at a point making a sort of 180 view with all 3. My family swears it’s horrible and tells me it has blind spots like that.

I don’t let them drive my car anymore
Happiness: Infinite

Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 04:44 PM   #12
EJR8402

Drives: 2019 Red Hot 1SS "Scarlett"
This is the quintessential trade-off you make with something as impractical as a sports car: the blind spots are created by the huge c-pillars that contribute highly to that aggressive look that we love.

For years, I drove around with my mirrors adjusted as others here have stated is the incorrect way; with them pointed too far inwards. When I got this car, I HAD to change this because I couldn't see. For me, the car was damn near undriveable without proper mirror adjustment. With proper mirror adjustment, no problem.

I think the visibility issue hits a sore spot with a lot of Camaro owners because we realize it's one of a couple different reasons these cars haven't sold well recently, but we love our cars.
EJR8402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 07:44 AM   #13
Abubaca

Quote:
Why wouldn't I want ALL other drivers adjusting their mirrors properly, eliminating blind spots, and making the roads safer for everyone?

Because safe is safe. Why wouldn't you want someone to add concave mirrors if it made them feel more safe? They do a great job eliminating blind spots!

I for one pefer to see the sides of my car in my side mirrors. For whatever reason, I seem to track my surroundings better that way. On every other car I've had, there was enough overlap for this to be possible. On my Camaro, as we all know, blindspots. You HAVE to adjust them properly. I hate that, but...obviously safety first. Those concave mirrors are great! -We have 'em on our work trucks. I personally just didn't want to stick 'em on my Camaro.
Old 06-30-2020, 07:48 AM   #14
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Because safe is safe. Why wouldn't you want someone to add concave mirrors if it made them feel more safe? They do a great job eliminating blind spots!

I for one pefer to see the sides of my car in my side mirrors. For whatever reason, I seem to track my surroundings better that way. On every other car I've had, there was enough overlap for this to be possible. On my Camaro, as we all know, blindspots. You HAVE to adjust them properly. I hate that, but...obviously safety first. Those concave mirrors are great! -We have 'em on our work trucks. I personally just didn't want to stick 'em on my Camaro.
I'd love to have the 'blade' mirrors like the Gen5 had in the Transformers movies. Could you imagine how little I'd be able to see with those? lol