Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic modifications (exterior and interior)

Phastek Performance

Old 06-30-2020, 08:37 AM   #15
17rsvert

Drives: 2017 HBM 2LT RS Convertible V6 A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abubaca View Post
Because safe is safe. Why wouldn't you want someone to add concave mirrors if it made them feel more safe? They do a great job eliminating blind spots!

I for one pefer to see the sides of my car in my side mirrors. For whatever reason, I seem to track my surroundings better that way. On every other car I've had, there was enough overlap for this to be possible. On my Camaro, as we all know, blindspots. You HAVE to adjust them properly. I hate that, but...obviously safety first. Those concave mirrors are great! -We have 'em on our work trucks. I personally just didn't want to stick 'em on my Camaro.
I have nothing against concave mirrors, I had a class C motorhome with them, and they work fine.

If someone feels safer with them, they are also adjusted correctly and they help, then please install them.

What I AM against is people driving ANY car complaining about blind spots when they are driving around with their mirrors adjusted wrong. You even say you had to properly adjust yours on your Camaro and there are no blind spots. That's my point. Once you get used to it, it's much more important to see other cars around you 100% of the time instead of looking back at your fenders.

You're not going to get in an accident with your fenders because you can't see them.
17rsvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 10:07 AM   #16
Abubaca

Drives: 2016 SS
What I am saying is that "proper" adjustment is just a guidline. The logic being that seeing in the blindspot is more important that seeing your fender. I totally get that. from looking left over your shoulder, to your DS mirror, to your rearview, PS mirros and then over your right shoulder, you put together a picture. Ideally with as much overlap as possibly, CERTAINLY covering all ground around your car, and being as comfortable as you can. The exact adjustment is personal. If simply seeing 100% field of vision around you is all that matters then you're golden. I prefer more overlap, and being able to see over my shoulder, and clearly, so do a lot of other people, most of which are safe, experienced drivers. ...and this is the knock on the Camaro. I don't NEED 455 horsepower, and I don't NEED to be able to see over my shoulder. But I'd sure like both. Why is complaing about visibility somehow not allowed? This was my point early on. I can see. I'm safe. What does it matter how I do that?

Unless you think visibility in the Camaro is just as good as any other 2 door out there, in which case we can simply shake hands and agree to disagree.
Abubaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 11:44 AM   #17
17rsvert

Drives: 2017 HBM 2LT RS Convertible V6 A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abubaca View Post
Unless you think visibility in the Camaro is just as good as any other 2 door out there, in which case we can simply shake hands and agree to disagree.
Well, having a convertible allows me to directly compare the mirror situation directly; top up vs top down.

I would argue that the visibility, by your definition, is better in a Camaro convertible with the top down than virtually any hard top 2 door. That being the case, I find no difference in the mirror visibility/blind spot situation top up vs top down.

The only difference is when pulling into a Y-shaped intersection with the top up, you must approach the intersection at close to a right angle in order to see on coming traffic from the left through the passenger window because of the c pillar.

But on the highway, I use my mirrors exactly the same and feel the rear visibility is comparable.
17rsvert is offline   Reply With Quote