Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic modifications (exterior and interior)

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-26-2018, 08:14 AM   #1
Tha_Infamous_E

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Louvers - Any real difference?

I'm having some issues figuring out why there's three different louvers available for the Camaro - all of them with different branding and description, but all the photos of them look the same style when installed on the car unless I'm overlooking something?

Generic Louver

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Matte-Black...8/232784809125

Ikon Motorsport Louvers

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fits-16-18-...nd!91011!US!-1

American Authority Louvers

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-2018-C...0AAOSws0JaiFG3

Has anyone seen any or all of these in-person that can provide some insight which looks nicest and most aggressive?
Tha_Infamous_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 09:17 AM   #2
ChangerOfWays

Drives: 2017 2LT RS
I've done research on all of these, though I have only seen the AA louvers in person. Here is what I know about each:

Ebay lambo louvers:
Look pretty nice, but come in a rough textured plastic which would make it a pain to paint, if you want to go that route. Don't know much more about them. If these were offered in smooth plastic instead of rough, I may have gone with them.

Ikon louvers:
Apparently has rattling problems, and the bottom most louver touches the back edge of the trunk lid when it opens, which can cause paint damage on the louvers and/or trunk. I don't like that the bottom of the louver is filled "solid" in the middle.

AA louvers:
Has the fewest louver blades of those that are offered (5 vs 6). They do not come out of the molds very cleanly, leaving lots of rough edges, chips in the plastic and wavy edges. One member here had the bottom mounting surface of the louver warp after leaving it in direct sunlight for a while - AA provided another mounting point to the customer for the middle and that apparently fixed the issue. These are the ones I went with because I like the fewer blades and overall look - I am hoping to take them to a body/paint shop to get the edges cleaned up before paint. Here is an old thread with lots of pictures of the AA louvers, including closeups of the rough edges and warping (check page 4):
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...hlight=louvers

Despite all of the problems, the AA louvers seem to be the most popular. They were also the lowest priced of the three for awhile and commonly go on sale from AA's website, so that probably contributes

One other thing I have learned is don't use the supplied adhesive for any of these - replace them with gorilla tape.
ChangerOfWays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 03:45 PM   #3
Boogie4bear

Drives: 1lt
I also have the American authority louvers. I had them painted gloss black to match my car. I love the way they look. You will want to buy new adhesive tape though. The tape they come with is horrible IMO.
Boogie4bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 04:45 PM   #4
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
just for looks all probably made in china
Old 08-28-2018, 05:51 PM   #5
DarkFangz1100

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Have AA....don't use the tape they provide...sucks
Old 06-26-2020, 08:34 PM   #6
BpTees_1LE

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS 1LE
Ikons are trash. Hardware is crappy. And the edges are not flush. There is not bottom cut out so it holds onto water.
BpTees_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 03:28 AM   #7
Boogie4bear

Drives: 1lt
AA all the way
Boogie4bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 09:18 AM   #8
chris227

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS
MRT has the highest quality (aluminium) and best looks in my opinion. Unfortunately they only make them for the 5th gen Camaro. I was going to get them for my 6 gen but I always get the response from them that they are evaluating 6th gen camaros and have not made a decision to when they will begin production. I've been hearing that from them since 2016. Obviously they will not be making them. The plastic louvers don't look right to me, look cheap. Have a few guys i ride with get the plastic versions, all have been removed and sold or they just trashed them. For the amount of money these cars cost, to put some cheap plastic louver on makes no sense. The MRT louver on my 5th gen was great, no rattles, solid build, flawless paint and raise up on a hinge to clean the window.
chris227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 02:54 PM   #9
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
AA here too. I like the way they look with the contour of the reverse Mohawk roof. Quality is good although you will need to smooth the edges a little from the mold. I painted mine gloss black .
Attached Images

ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote