Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-06-2020, 02:54 PM   #15
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
If you're asking about the GY F1 Eagle Supecar F3, I can say that after 1000 miles I've concluded they offer very poor street traction no matter how hot you get them. They are almost unusable, with the possible exception of summer track use. A caveat is that mine is an HPE850.

Drag radials and Michelins are in my future.
Interesting comment.

I have tried and used most of the Extreme performance category tires out there over the years on all my cars, and I have found that the SC3's fall off very little compared to most others.

The worst I have found were the RE-71R's. I had those on the M3 and they would heat cycle out with more than 50% tread depth left. The best were the Yokohama Advan Neo 08r's, followed by the Goodyear SC3's. All performance tires fall off some, some more than others.

As a general rule, best traction is achieved when new (after all release molding is gone) and best handling is after about 1,500 miles or so after the tread had worn down some. New tires grip well and are squirrly, then as they wear, they lose grip and gain stability. There is a small sweet spot where the grip is almost full and the stability comes in.

In regards to Michelins, I am not a fan. They use a bi-compound on their performance tires. Softer on the outer 1/3rd and a harder compound on the inner 2/3rd. What this does with any normal cornering is wear the outer edges WAY before the rest of the tire is done.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 06:17 PM   #16
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
Interesting comment.
Part of what I'm suffering from is withdrawal after 7 years of driving GTRs with MPS4S always stuck to road versus a high HP/HT rear wheel drive car that doesn't want to stick even with a track tire.
JSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 07:11 PM   #17
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
Part of what I'm suffering from is withdrawal after 7 years of driving GTRs with MPS4S always stuck to road versus a high HP/HT rear wheel drive car that doesn't want to stick even with a track tire.
Well, that is a RWD VS AWD issue, not a tire issue.

Keep an eye out for the C8 GS when it arrives. It is rumored to have electric motors driving the front wheels

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote