Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-05-2019, 06:52 PM   #1
VADER332

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE / 2014 Ford Raptor
ZL1 1LE Ride Quality vs Gen 6 Camaro SS

For those that had a Gen 6 Camaro SS, A8, and went to the ZL1-1LE, how does the ride quality compare? Is the 1LE alot stiffer? I don't daily drive my Camaro. I may eventually go to a ZL1 1LE. I will probably do about 4,000 miles a year. Miles are mostly rural, highway, and cruising the strip in Ocean City, MD. Thanks.
VADER332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 07:00 PM   #2
Ichabod

Drives: 2018 zl1 1LE
I had an SS 1LE and switched to a ZLE. it is significantly stiffer but not as brutal as some make it seem. I would not daily this car, but i guess you could if you really wanted to. If you're not going to track it, youre probably better of with the regular ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by VADER332 View Post
For those that had a Gen 6 Camaro SS, A8, and went to the ZL1-1LE, how does the ride quality compare? Is the 1LE alot stiffer? I don't daily drive my Camaro. I may eventually go to a ZL1 1LE. I will probably do about 4,000 miles a year. Miles are mostly rural, highway, and cruising the strip in Ocean City, MD. Thanks.
2017 Ram 1500
Ichabod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 08:56 PM   #3
VADER332

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichabod View Post
I had an SS 1LE and switched to a ZLE. it is significantly stiffer but not as brutal as some make it seem. I would not daily this car, but i guess you could if you really wanted to. If you're not going to track it, youre probably better of with the regular ZL1
Thanks for the honest feedback. I may track it once a year at NJMP. That is about it though.
Old 09-05-2019, 09:26 PM   #4
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
You get used to it.. or shocks when new felt like welded solid rods.. now.. no where near mag ride equipped cars.

Daily mine.. nearing 15,000 miles.. on north NJ roads.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 09:42 PM   #5
VADER332

That is good to hear that you can drive it daily too. I had an E46 M3 for a few years, and the ride was alot stiffer that the Camaro SS. I am 5hrs from the stadium. I will try to make it up there for an event sometime.
Old 09-05-2019, 09:54 PM   #6
Ebbsnflows

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1-1LE
Ride quality, much like beauty, is in the eye or "butt" of the beholder. Everyone has a different perception or tolerance level when it comes to this. I've read a hundred of these "ZL1-1LE ride comparison" threads and they always have one thing in common - everyone's opinion is different. What is perfectly acceptable to some, is completely intolerable to others. The simple answer is "Yes...the 1LE is a lot stiffer". But as a non-daily driver, will you really care?

For me personally, I've had muscle/sports cars my entire life. The vast majority of them have been weekend-toys / garage queens. Based on that, more times than I can count, I gladly sacrificed their factory ride quality for aftermarket improvements in appearance/handling. For my "toys", I generally have a high-tolerance level when it comes to poor ride quality. Looks/Performance > comfort.

2 of my most recent toys were an SS-1LE with mag-ride suspension (which I left stock) and prior to that I had a Lexus IS-F (also with stock suspension).

Compared to the Lexus IS-F, the ZL1-1LE drives like a Cadillac. That's no exaggeration. Lexus/Toyota hit a home-run with IS-F, it was such a fun car - but the suspension was very track-oriented and it was BRUTAL. We have decent roads where I live and the ride quality was so terrible, despite loving the car as a whole, I simply couldn't tolerate the harsh ride any longer. Even driving it only 1500-1800 miles a year, the joy eventually turned to dread. I had to sell it.

Next up was the SS 1LE - Wow, what a dream to drive, especially in touring-mode. I generally kept it in Sport-mode and even that was excellent. I had ZERO complaints on the ride quality. It truly was a marvelous ride.

Compared to the IS-F, the ZL1-1LE is light-years better...but there's no question, it is not as smooth or compliant as the magnetic ride of the SS-1LE.

To go a step further and try to quantify the difference - you know those rubber pneumatic road hoses/tubes that the DOT stretches across the road to measure traffic volume? We had one by my house during the time that I sold my SS-1LE and bought my ZL1-1LE. In the SS, driving across that hose was barely perceptible. Only making a slight "thump-thump" as I crossed it. If I were blind-folded in the passenger seat, I honestly wouldn't give it a second thought. However, the first time I drove over it in the ZL1, I was like "Holy Crap...I FELT that!!" The very light thump-thump from the SS had turned into a WHOOMP-WHOOMP in the ZL1.

Now, having said that, I still don't regret buying it. While it is unquestionably more firm than the SS, it's not terrible (like the IS-F). But again, it's not my daily-driver. Daily driving it would likely change my opinion significantly. I think for your scenario - as an occasional hwy cruiser / toy - the 1LE suspension is probably tolerable.
Old 09-05-2019, 10:18 PM   #7
seanblurr

Drives: ZL1 1LE
Does your SS have the mag ride? Comfy, sport, track settings etc? I would consider the ZLE to be about Track++. Drive around in track mode and imagine if there was one more level above track.

Personally, I could not daily it if I wasn't going to track it regularly. You'd be much better off with a regular ZL1. In my opinion, it's the better streetcar. The ZLE doesn't have a benefit on the street. (in my opinion)
Old 09-05-2019, 10:20 PM   #8
RAT Raceway

Drives: ZL1-1LE, 5th Gen COPO
ZLE will hurt your kidneys and rattle your teeth it’s awesome!!!

Last edited by RAT Raceway; 09-06-2019 at 11:19 AM.
RAT Raceway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 10:58 PM   #9
angryBits

Drives: ZL1 1LE A10
I daily mine and the roads here in San Francisco are awful.

I had both the ZLE M6 and A10, A10 is a tad more mild.
I also believe both M6 and A10 soften up after 1-2k miles.

Honestly the suspension is a p-ussycat 95% of the time, yes you feel the road but it's not painful. The only part that actually sucks is when you max out the shock travel and hit the bump stops, it will lift you out of your seat.

Current: 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
Mods: MPS4s Tires | Borla Atak | CF Steering Wheel
Previous: 2018 ZL1 1LE M6 | 2017 Z06 Z07 M7 | 2017 GS A8 | 2015 ZL1 M6 | 2013 GT500
angryBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 01:26 AM   #10
gotroost

Drives: 2021 Crush ZL1 1LE
Had a 2010 SS with Pfadt lowering springs and sways. ZL1 1LE is more harsh but not by a lot. As said above, bottoming the shocks will launch you upward but the handling is far superior. Gotta love the Recaros to keep you in place. Sure a ZL1 is a better daily cruiser, but I just love this beast. I will deal with the ride and it is a daily unless the weather is bad. Full disclosure - all my other rides suck at ride comfort - lifted Jeep Rubicon and 2500 4WD Silverado. No cushy rides around here.

gotroost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 04:37 AM   #11
jjgi5150

Drives: 2022 ZL1 1LE
Hi,

All my past performance cars were stiffer than comfort-oriented cars. The ZLE is by far the best handling and most precise car l've ever owned. And it's all that right out of the box...no mods necessary. I even find it more precise and a touch better handling than my '15 Z/28 was. On a lot of less than perfect city streets...in touring mode, l still find it to be very drivable. I just watch and avoid the deep sewer lids and potholes.

For a "fun" mountain run, in Sport mode, l don't think there's a better car out there. Especially not a GT350R, which locally costs $122k with ADM. I never track the car and never will. I find it's street driving traits to be perfect for me and my use of the car, even on PS4's. IMO, it's the best looking, handling, quality and overall package recently done by GM. Also, the best close ratio 6m on any American made car. A true handling, shifting, super fun ride, worth every bounce it gives me.
2023 Hyundai SF Calligraphy
jjgi5150 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 05:45 AM   #12
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjgi5150 View Post
Hi,

All my past performance cars were stiffer than comfort-oriented cars. The ZLE is by far the best handling and most precise car l've ever owned. And it's all that right out of the box...no mods necessary. I even find it more precise and a touch better handling than my '15 Z/28 was. On a lot of less than perfect city streets...in touring mode, l still find it to be very drivable. I just watch and avoid the deep sewer lids and potholes.

For a "fun" mountain run, in Sport mode, l don't think there's a better car out there. Especially not a GT350R, which locally costs $122k with ADM. I never track the car and never will. I find it's street driving traits to be perfect for me and my use of the car, even on PS4's. IMO, it's the best looking, handling, quality and overall package recently done by GM. Also, the best close ratio 6m on any American made car. A true handling, shifting, super fun ride, worth every bounce it gives me.
Well put!!!

I love the ride. Soooo much fun.
I don’t daily mine but when I take it out for the day I often drive around for 6 plus hours. It’s great. My kids love it. Even my dad loves the ride and he’s 73 years old. Nothing but smiles speed and good times. 😁👍
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 10:01 AM   #13
Jdzumwalt

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE, the comeback
I had a regular zl1 rode amazing. The zle ride like a race car on the road. I knew this however and made the choice to go with it anyway. I love race car super stiff suspension and amazing track day performance.
Jdzumwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 07:24 PM   #14
VADER332

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanblurr View Post
Does your SS have the mag ride? Comfy, sport, track settings etc? I would consider the ZLE to be about Track++. Drive around in track mode and imagine if there was one more level above track.

Personally, I could not daily it if I wasn't going to track it regularly. You'd be much better off with a regular ZL1. In my opinion, it's the better streetcar. The ZLE doesn't have a benefit on the street. (in my opinion)
Good day. Thanks for the feedback. My SS does not have the mag ride. It has the sport, track, touring, ice/snow settings. My track time would be limited to 1, maybe twice a year. Twice would be a stretch.