Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 08-12-2020, 01:51 PM   #15
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairles View Post
When I first installed it, yes. It slowly went away after about 2 days. It's the ECM learning, so each time you drive it should do it less. If it's not you may have a vacuum leak.
Interesting, I’ve had my K&N intake for a few months now. Sometimes I’ll get the RPM’s hanging but not all the time. I’ve reinstalled it once and actually broke one of the fittings on the tube (K&N kindly sent me a new one) in an attempt to remove any leaks. I’m kinda paranoid about it but will check one last time
Happiness: Infinite

Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 02:33 PM   #16
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
the "ecm learning" how the throttle body position relates to the commanded torque the computer is asking for is why these kinds of mods have a limited impact on performance outside of WOT ...and may even limit impact of wot performance gains.

The computer commands torque. If it suddenly gets more than expected, it adjusts down until it gets what it wants. Quick back to back tests at a dyno or immediate judgements after an install would be misleading, since the computer hasn't had time to adjust and learn. Tuning is needed to give you a higher torque ceiling where needed.

i'd suspect the only benefit that will remain until a tune is response...since the throttle has to to move less for the same commanded torque changes as before (basically a similar benefit gauze cone filters provide over paper stock)
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 03:08 PM   #17
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
Just for reference I have a Flowmaster axle back, CAI, and ported throttle body. With the stock tune my 0 to 60 is the same as stock. I even use the same stretch of road, and in very similar conditions, to make it as fair as possible. I'm convinced that the stock tune will simply adjust (within reason) so measurable gains can be had. Now on the other hand through response, and part throttle power are significantly improved, so it's most definitely worth it in my opinion
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 04:43 PM   #18
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
the "ecm learning" how the throttle body position relates to the commanded torque the computer is asking for is why these kinds of mods have a limited impact on performance outside of WOT ...and may even limit impact of wot performance gains.

The computer commands torque. If it suddenly gets more than expected, it adjusts down until it gets what it wants. Quick back to back tests at a dyno or immediate judgements after an install would be misleading, since the computer hasn't had time to adjust and learn. Tuning is needed to give you a higher torque ceiling where needed.

i'd suspect the only benefit that will remain until a tune is response...since the throttle has to to move less for the same commanded torque changes as before (basically a similar benefit gauze cone filters provide over paper stock)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCI2000SS View Post
Just for reference I have a Flowmaster axle back, CAI, and ported throttle body. With the stock tune my 0 to 60 is the same as stock. I even use the same stretch of road, and in very similar conditions, to make it as fair as possible. I'm convinced that the stock tune will simply adjust (within reason) so measurable gains can be had. Now on the other hand through response, and part throttle power are significantly improved, so it's most definitely worth it in my opinion
My last 0-60 times were 5.9 with TC on, I’m aiming more towards a daily driving fun feel over performance at the moment. I’m definitely with you on it being worth for the throttle power improving. Maybe further on in the future I change over to chasing performance and HP numbers but for now I’ll have to stick with 60+ mile daily commutes :(

Old 08-12-2020, 05:34 PM   #19
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
trifecta's always a good option ...though there are a few other options these days as well that offer more hands-on free updates to their tunes as you mod.

A tune shouldn't hurt mileage when you're cruising (however it can hurt it in traffic if you like accelerating ) I get mid 30's at 80mph ..and have hit over 40mpg going out to AZ (both the to and from drive) and my 0-60 that i did a few weeks ago was 5.4s and I'm stock except for a cai and very loud exhaust.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 06:09 PM   #20
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but the holes are 1/8" NPT, just get yourself some plugs. You should be able to get them at any good auto parts store, or hardware store. I'd probably put some silicone on the plugs myself.

That is an overkill unit by the way, so I wouldn't attempt to remove the TB adapter piece.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 12:18 PM   #21
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@JacFab View Post
I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but the holes are 1/8" NPT, just get yourself some plugs. You should be able to get them at any good auto parts store, or hardware store. I'd probably put some silicone on the plugs myself.

That is an overkill unit by the way, so I wouldn't attempt to remove the TB adapter piece.
Thank you very much! Saved me more trips to HomeDepot carrying around the whole thing lol!

Old 08-17-2020, 04:55 PM   #22
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbleboy92 View Post
Thank you very much! Saved me more trips to HomeDepot carrying around the whole thing lol!
Perfect fit, couldn’t find any silicone but this little guy was available and cheap. I’ve tightened it enough that it doesn’t stick out in the TB. It doesn’t have a cap that would stop it from going all the way in which may be concerning but I’ll check for another with a proper head

Old 08-18-2020, 09:41 PM   #23
Kairles

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS
NPT/MIP has tapered threads, so you shouldn't need any silicone to seal it.
Kairles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 03:49 PM   #24
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairles View Post
NPT/MIP has tapered threads, so you shouldn't need any silicone to seal it.
Thanks, my only fear right now is since the screws I bought have no hex head or anything if the sorts I feel as though the screw has the possibility of vibrating further into the TB. Might be a silly concern but I don’t like the idea of a piece of metal having the possibility of falling past the throttle body. I’ve since bought these screws instead so they have no chance of my irrational fear

Old 09-04-2020, 03:54 AM   #25
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

I finally stopped being lazy and installed it, off the bat I thought I messed it up since the RPM’s were going 1200-1600 and kept fluctuating. But a drive around and now I definitely have more low end RPM fun and the exhaust is deeper sounding. Almost like a cold start but instead of idling off it consists with the deep volume

No CEL’s after 20 minute initial drive, only noticed that when I am cruising and let off the accelerator it blips like 100 RPM first. Also Sport mode, the little I tried, has the RPM’s more higher on less input. Snow and Ice feels like touring but it’s still learning. No tune still.

Old 09-04-2020, 09:08 AM   #26
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
Quote:
I finally stopped being lazy and installed it, off the bat I thought I messed it up since the RPM’s were going 1200-1600 and kept fluctuating. But a drive around and now I definitely have more low end RPM fun and the exhaust is deeper sounding. Almost like a cold start but instead of idling off it consists with the deep volume

No CEL’s after 20 minute initial drive, only noticed that when I am cruising and let off the accelerator it blips like 100 RPM first. Also Sport mode, the little I tried, has the RPM’s more higher on less input. Snow and Ice feels like touring but it’s still learning. No tune still.
What did it cost?
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 09:17 AM   #27
RxSummit16

Drives: 2016 Summit White Camaro LT2 RS
After I installed the Soler ported TB (76mm), I experience that same little rev bump if I'm cruising and let off the gas. Seems harmless and Soler didn't seem too concerned. I have the overkill tune but have never managed to get Will to retune specific to my car. Not sure if its something that he could tune out or not.

Quote:

Old 09-04-2020, 03:46 PM   #28
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCI2000SS View Post
What did it cost?
I bought the combo from someone on the Facebook v6 group for $500. I didn’t realize then he was supercharged but the screws I posted earlier are perfect thanks to the measurement given by Jacfab.

Someone said they had to cut their silicone reducer and I did, it’s practically the same length as the one that came with my K&N intake. This is how much I had to cut all together, with my K&N one above

Last edited by Bumbleboy92; 09-04-2020 at 05:06 PM.

Tags
80mm, intake manifold, ported, throttle body