Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

AWE Tuning

Old 08-12-2020, 12:22 PM   #1
Tha_Infamous_E

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
HUD Gauge messing with transmission?

I installed an HUD that connects to the OBD2 port - it works fine mostly for regular driving, but I've noticed that when actually taking corners and driving aggressively, suddenly the car's transmission gives out, falls out of manual gear disallowing from proper gear changing, and check engine light comes up for several days. All of the issues sort themselves out after I remove the HUD from the car and drive around for couple days, but the gauge is very useful when driving performance-wise. Anyone know why this OBD2 port messes with the cars performance ability and how I can have it fixed so the gauge works without messing with the car?
Tha_Infamous_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 12:39 PM   #2
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
The OBD port connects to a data bus that is used by most if not all computers in the car. On the surface it seems like the HUD is disrupting data communication. Maybe the aggressive driving causes the device’s cable and/or connector to move and that is causing a short or other problem that impacts the data bus. What device did you buy and install?
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 03:18 PM   #3
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark114 View Post
The OBD port connects to a data bus that is used by most if not all computers in the car. On the surface it seems like the HUD is disrupting data communication. Maybe the aggressive driving causes the device’s cable and/or connector to move and that is causing a short or other problem that impacts the data bus. What device did you buy and install?
Definitely a possibility. I noticed that on my RX-8, when I used to hot plug/unplug the OBD2 connector too many times, it will throw a CEL for OBD communication issues(or something like that), so that could be what's happening here, too. I would check the connection first.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 10:19 AM   #4
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
I was using a Range auto start/stop disabler on my 2018 Equinox. Took a rode trip right after I installed it, my transmission would not shift, basically stuck in a neutral state while on the interstate, started smelling real bad, burnt smell. Quickly pulled over at the next exit, turned the truck off, pulled out the Range disabler, everything worked great after that, haven't had an issue since...so yes any type of device in the OBDII port can screw with the ECM or TCM amongst other things as well.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 11:00 AM   #5
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
I have a wireless OBD2 reader plugged in at all times in my SS.

Then again, mine is a stick so it can't mess with the transmission. No problems with my car otherwise.

Sent from toaster or something

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 11:20 PM   #6
Tha_Infamous_E

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark114 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
Definitely a possibility. I noticed that on my RX-8, when I used to hot plug/unplug the OBD2 connector too many times, it will throw a CEL for OBD communication issues(or something like that), so that could be what's happening here, too. I would check the connection first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSport16 View Post
I was using a Range auto start/stop disabler on my 2018 Equinox. Took a rode trip right after I installed it, my transmission would not shift, basically stuck in a neutral state while on the interstate, started smelling real bad, burnt smell. Quickly pulled over at the next exit, turned the truck off, pulled out the Range disabler, everything worked great after that, haven't had an issue since...so yes any type of device in the OBDII port can screw with the ECM or TCM amongst other things as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
I have a wireless OBD2 reader plugged in at all times in my SS.

Then again, mine is a stick so it can't mess with the transmission. No problems with my car otherwise.

Sent from toaster or something

I know for a fact it's the device I plugged into the OBD2 port because when the car starts giving issues, exactly at the moment I un-plug that specific HUD gadget and the car instantly chills out, then when I plug it right back in, it starts tripping out again. Also it is my aggressive driving that's tripping the gadget to mess with the ECU or whatever, but I only have that gadget for high-performance driving. Therefore, using it for casual driving is pointless to me, I wouldn't need the gadget. The car also never trips out with my aggressive driving if the gadget isn't plugged in, so I know it's the gadget that has an issue with my driving and not the car itself. The only problem here is that the gadget is a very useful tool for me when I'm in full-performance mode, so I really want it to be installed.

The device isn't anything special, it's a cheap $30 Chinese private-labeled crap from Amazon, but it works wonderful because of it's simplicity. I'm thinking maybe if I buy a fancier and pricier gadget it could work better with the car, but I don't want to waste resources buying random shit that'll give the same issue in the end. Wanted to see if there's a way to get the car to accept OBD2 plug-ins or a way around it?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FNHGRZ9...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
Tha_Infamous_E is offline   Reply With Quote