Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

AWE Tuning

Old 06-11-2019, 03:37 PM   #1
Giri
Soon to be Millionaire

Drives: Blue 2016 Camaro
A8 Shudder - Out of Warranty - Chevy Says **** You

So my shudder is back. First flush was done at 52k miles and now the shudder is back. I'm at 67k so the warranty is expired.

The dealership told me since I'm out of warranty and "no PARTS were replaced last time" there's no parts warranty.

I called Chevy and they said I can apply for cost assistance and that's the only option available to me.

I'm so upset. What are my options now? I've filed an NHTSA complaint and am hoping everyone else with this issue will do the same.

Last edited by Giri; 06-11-2019 at 04:36 PM.
Giri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:04 AM   #2
Tyl3r

Drives: Camaro 2LT
Maybe, there is a chance that since you brought the car in for warranty work prior to the warranty expiration, you are entitled to additional work now (regarding the same issue) since it was never resolved.
Tyl3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:12 AM   #3
RyanR623

Drives: SS A8, NPP, Red Hot
I would think that because it was an issue while under warranty that was never fixed, Chevy would allow the newest fluid to be changed free of charge. But since they aren't your only other option is a lawyer, which might end up costing more than the flush. If it were me i would get an aftermarket TC.
RyanR623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:15 AM   #4
crosive

Drives: 18 zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR623 View Post
I would think that because it was an issue while under warranty that was never fixed, Chevy would allow the newest fluid to be changed free of charge. But since they aren't your only other option is a lawyer, which might end up costing more than the flush. If it were me i would get an aftermarket TC.
while an aftermarket t/c is a solution, it's one that potentially runs upwards of 2k to fix a problem that should have never been.

not everyone has that kinda money in their front pocket.
crosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:23 AM   #5
Mgsouthwest2001

Drives: 18 Camaro 2SS 8A Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyl3r View Post
Maybe, there is a chance that since you brought the car in for warranty work prior to the warranty expiration, you are entitled to additional work now (regarding the same issue) since it was never resolved.

I think this certainly SHOULD be the case. But, GM may indeed try and get off the hook for the problem. Some think (and I wouldn't doubt this either) that the reason GM keeps trying to throw different formulations of fluid at the problem is so they can band-aid the problem and stall long enough to get every vehicle with the problem out of warranty and avoid having to spend millions issuing a recall that would replace the TC itself with a redesigned unit. At this point, I see two options for you. You could simply go to another dealer and see if they can find a way to get the flush done for you at no cost. Or, you could contact GM customer service/care directly and plead your case with them. I hope it works out for you because you should hot have to pay for this!
Old 06-12-2019, 08:06 AM   #6
Giri
Soon to be Millionaire

I did both yesterday. Dealer said since they didn’t replace any parts, there’s no parts warranty, and hence there’s nothing to cover after the power train warranty expired.

I then called GM. Customer service guy said a few dozen times that my only option is “cost assistance”
Old 06-12-2019, 08:07 AM   #7
Giri
Soon to be Millionaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosive View Post
while an aftermarket t/c is a solution, it's one that potentially runs upwards of 2k to fix a problem that should have never been.

not everyone has that kinda money in their front pocket.
This. I definitely don’t have even a tenth of that to pay for repairs that aren’t my fault.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:52 AM   #8
62nalide

Drives: 2013 SS
What mods are on the car? That gets fixed easily with a converter swap. I did that to my wife's Denali with the 8spd trans. i bought a new GM converter and swapped it and fixed
62nalide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 09:00 AM   #9
Tyl3r

Drives: Camaro 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62nalide View Post
What mods are on the car? That gets fixed easily with a converter swap. I did that to my wife's Denali with the 8spd trans. i bought a new GM converter and swapped it and fixed
What was the cost of the converter, and what would installation cost?
Tyl3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 09:06 AM   #10
62nalide

Drives: 2013 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyl3r View Post
What was the cost of the converter, and what would installation cost?
$689.00 and I did the work.
62nalide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 09:12 AM   #11
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
GM should still cover it since it is a known issue and it was worked on under warranty already...it is a continuing/ongoing issue. GM might have some loophole to get out of this. I would try another dealer first, if not speak to an attorney to see if you have any type of case.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 09:39 AM   #12
Budman51

Drives: 2023 SGM 1SS
I see you’re in Gainesville, I’m just up the road in High Springs. I haven’t had any dealings with the local Chevy dealer, but I purchased mine from Gordon Chevy over in Orange Park, near Jax, and when I had the shudder issue they were very helpful. They were one of the first to get the latest and greatest fluid and flush tool and have done many of the newest tsb flushes. The service writers are very knowledgeable about such issues, you might give them a call to see if they’ll help you out.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:41 PM   #13
Giri
Soon to be Millionaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62nalide View Post
That’s awesome! How hard was it to DIY? Would I need any special tools or a lift?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSport16 View Post
GM should still cover it since it is a known issue and it was worked on under warranty already...it is a continuing/ongoing issue. GM might have some loophole to get out of this. I would try another dealer first, if not speak to an attorney to see if you have any type of case.
They should! But GM and the dealer are both saying they can’t do anything for me since I’m out of my powertrain warranty. I even mentioned a lawyer to GM and all he offered was for me to apply for cost assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budman51 View Post
I see you’re in Gainesville, I’m just up the road in High Springs. I haven’t had any dealings with the local Chevy dealer, but I purchased mine from Gordon Chevy over in Orange Park, near Jax, and when I had the shudder issue they were very helpful. They were one of the first to get the latest and greatest fluid and flush tool and have done many of the newest tsb flushes. The service writers are very knowledgeable about such issues, you might give them a call to see if they’ll help you out.
No way! I must see your car all the time and a couple friends have definitely mistaken your car for mine. I actually live in Alachua

Thank you for that data point. I’m going to give them a call since I don’t really have anything to lose at this point.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:38 PM   #14
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
The fluid has a part number, so it’s a part. Doesn’t matter what phase of matter it is, solid liquid or gas. A part is a part. Car won’t run without this part #.

Dealer replaced the faulty part (fluid) before under warranty and it didn’t work. So you may still be covered by lemon law if your first repair was within 24 months of purchase.

https://www.bbb.org/us/Storage/16/Do...-LLsummary.pdf

Last edited by Gunkk; 06-12-2019 at 08:51 PM. Reason: added lemon law link
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote