Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

AWE Tuning

Old 05-30-2019, 11:17 AM   #1
Canyon Carver

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1 SS
Power Steering Recall - Who's had it done?

Hey Everyone -

I'm taking my car in for the Power Steering recall on Monday.

Has anyone had it done already? I found a few threads here on the recall, but none stating if the recall changes the steering feel and/or feedback. Obviously, I have to do it regardless, but I'm curious if it will change the steering significantly. I've got a track day coming next weekend and don't want any surprises with new steering feel.

Anyone out there with experience on the feel before and after recall?

Thanks in advance.

1SS - M6 - Silver Ice Metallic - Dual Mode Exhaust. Light, Simple, Fast. "If everything's under control, you're going too slow" - Mario Andretti

Last edited by Canyon Carver; 05-30-2019 at 12:37 PM.
Canyon Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 11:25 AM   #2
SSJ455

Drives: "Kara Zor-El" 2017 2SS HBM
I had the recall concerning the bolts. They replaced the bolts and sealed them with wax. Is there another one?
I had no issues before and I felt no difference after.
Dangerzoooooone.

SSJ455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 11:53 AM   #3
Canyon Carver

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1 SS
I think there is another...regarding the gear assembly and some of the boards (electronics) that control it. I don't think this one refers to the bolts.

https://gm.oemdtc.com/10369/safety-r...amaro-corvette

1SS - M6 - Silver Ice Metallic - Dual Mode Exhaust. Light, Simple, Fast. "If everything's under control, you're going too slow" - Mario Andretti
Canyon Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 02:02 PM   #4
chozn4service

Drives: 2016 SS w/2SS A8 Blue Velvet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyon Carver View Post
Hey Everyone -

Has anyone had it done already? I found a few threads here on the recall, but none stating if the recall changes the steering feel and/or feedback. Obviously, I have to do it regardless, but I'm curious if it will change the steering significantly. I've got a track day coming next weekend and don't want any surprises with new steering feel.

Thanks in advance.
I had mine done on May 4th and I haven't noticed any change in the cars steering, handling or performance. It's all good!
Took it to Estes Chevrolet for that particular recall and for an oil change at 8a when they opened and I was out by 10:30.
Old 05-30-2019, 02:15 PM   #5
lcd550

Drives: '17 2LT/RS 2.0T M6 50th Anniv Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyon Carver View Post
Hey Everyone -

Thanks in advance.
I'm supposed to pick-up my car this coming Saturday. I'll let you know if I notice any difference. My comparison will be slightly different...comparing a loaner I'm driving versus my car (both '17 Camaro Convertibles)

I only drove my car around 900 miles when I first bought it in Feb '19 and turned it back into the dealer a week later due to the recall.

The recall fix performed on my car is the one you referenced:
https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls?nhtsaId=19V086
lcd550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 11:46 PM   #6
lcd550

Drives: '17 2LT/RS 2.0T M6 50th Anniv Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcd550 View Post
I'm supposed to pick-up my car this coming Saturday. I'll let you know if I notice any difference. My comparison will be slightly different...comparing a loaner I'm driving versus my car (both '17 Camaro Convertibles)

I only drove my car around 900 miles when I first bought it in Feb '19 and turned it back into the dealer a week later due to the recall.

The recall fix performed on my car is the one you referenced:
https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls?nhtsaId=19V086
Picked up my car this past Saturday...no difference between my car with the fix vs. the loaner.
lcd550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 03:57 AM   #7
Silverado57

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Just had it done yesterday. No difference noticed yet.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:35 AM   #8
Jim50thSS

Drives: 50th SS Convertible
I just took mine in for the second time for the loss of power steering. They fixed it in March, but it started up again last Wednesday. It has happened to me 4 times while driving in less than a week. Very disappointing to have to deal with the A8 shudders and loss of power steering. Plus it's embarrassing to have these issues on a $50,000 car.
Jim50thSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 09:00 AM   #9
Tyl3r

Drives: Camaro 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim50thSS View Post
I just took mine in for the second time for the loss of power steering. They fixed it in March, but it started up again last Wednesday. It has happened to me 4 times while driving in less than a week. Very disappointing to have to deal with the A8 shudders and loss of power steering. Plus it's embarrassing to have these issues on a $50,000 car.
Lemon law.
Tyl3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 11:41 PM   #10
Yellow BB

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 2SS
I received the recall notice for faulty steering gear/electronics, but was told there was no fix yet (April 2019). Then, the power steering failed one day. I took it in & they replaced it. The called a week later & said it was fixed, so I went in & drove it. Hell no! The steering was a mess. It wondered all over & there was more than 2” of play in the steering wheel where you could feel nothing. They took it back in & had the car for another two weeks & it seemed to drive OK...until last week. We took a trip in it & I kept noticing that the front end was wondering. Then it rained hard & I couldn’t keep the car going straight over 45 mph! We made it home & I looked at my tires today - GONE! SCRAP! Worn down to the threads! I think it’s time to call the NHTSA about this recall. I’m hoping I’m not sitting on another lemon.

Last edited by Yellow BB; 06-10-2019 at 08:31 AM.
Yellow BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 07:19 AM   #11
mrgoodbytes

Drives: '18 2SS/EU (+Recaros) M6 Red Hot
Any 2018 owners who have received a recall note for theirs?
mrgoodbytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 07:20 AM   #12
mrgoodbytes

Drives: '18 2SS/EU (+Recaros) M6 Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow BB View Post
I received the recall notice for faulty steering gear/electronics, but was told there was no fix yet (April 2019). Then, the power steering failed one day. I took it in & they replaced it. The called a week later & said it was fixed, so I went in & drove it. Hell no! The steering was a mess. It wondered all over & there was more than 2” of play in the steering wheel where you could feel nothing. They took it back in & had the car for another two weeks & it seemed to drive OK...until last week. We took a trip in it & I kept noticing that the front end was wondering. Then it rained hard & I couldn’t keep the car going straight over 45 mph! We made it home & I looked at my tires today - GONE! SCRAP! Worn down to the threads! I think it’s time to call the NHTSA about this recall. I’m hoping I’m not sitting on another lemon.

That is crazy. With that much play, how the hell did they even manage to drive it out the shop without noticing?
mrgoodbytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 11:31 AM   #13
Yellow BB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgoodbytes View Post
That is crazy. With that much play, how the hell did they even manage to drive it out the shop without noticing?
I’m wondering the same thing! They owe me front tires - they are destroyed, ground down to the cords!
Attached Images

Old 07-01-2019, 01:20 PM   #14
Yellow BB

It appears that parts to fix this steering failure recall have only recently become available. If you had your steering gear replaced prior to May 2019, it probably needs to be done again with a new part number. Mine is a freak’n mess, since someone manually closed out the recall without satisfying the parts. There is also an amendment to include an alignment after the steering gear replacement.