Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-07-2019, 04:15 PM   #1
Alfdawg

Drives: 2014 camaro ss
UPGRADING BATTERY TO XS POWER

Can I upgrade my battery to a xs power battery? I'm thinking of going with the xs power 3400r. I'm upgrading my battery because I have an aftermarket sound system. My only concern is the xs power doesn't have a vent tube like the factory battery. Can I use that battery safely without a vent tube?
Alfdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 04:42 PM   #2
PepeLePew

Drives: 2010 2SS Coupe; 2011 2LT Vert
I think you need the D4800 according to XS Power with the brass post adapters.

https://4xspower.com/bci_group/94R/

What kind of power is your sound system demanding? Unless your talking about competition level bass and turning the rear seat into a speaker cabinet, your factory charging system should be fine.
Old 05-07-2019, 05:45 PM   #3
Alfdawg

Currently I have a 2k watt sundown audio amp and a jl audio 4 channel amp. My interior lights are dimming that's why I'm upgrading the battery.
Old 05-07-2019, 05:51 PM   #4
PepeLePew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfdawg View Post
Currently I have a 2k watt sundown audio amp and a jl audio 4 channel amp. My interior lights are dimming that's why I'm upgrading the battery.
Dang that’s a lot of power for sure. Have you upgraded your alternator yet? Might want to look into a mechman. Should solve the dimming issue.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:42 PM   #5
Reaper85

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS
To answer your question on the battery, the batteries technology xs power uses in most of their batteries is agm. No need for a vent tube because the unit is completely sealed.
Reaper85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:59 PM   #6
Alfdawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLePew View Post
Dang that’s a lot of power for sure. Have you upgraded your alternator yet? Might want to look into a mechman. Should solve the dimming issue.
No upgraded alternator. I want to see if upgrading the battery works first.
Old 05-07-2019, 11:11 PM   #7
Alfdawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper85 View Post
To answer your question on the battery, the batteries technology xs power uses in most of their batteries is agm. No need for a vent tube because the unit is completely sealed.
Can I upgrade the battery to an agm battery like a die hard with a vent tube and then have the xs power as my secondary battery? I read that if you have two batteries for car audio that the batteries should be the same age and the same type.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:53 AM   #8
JoelNR
King of the Lurkers

Drives: 2010 SS/RS (Victory Red)
I've never run a dual battery system so I can't be of much help on your last question and it's been years since I've done a system in one of my cars so take this with a grain of salt.

I would upgrade the alternator first as long as your current battery is still in good health.

Once your vehicle is on the alternator is the main source of power generation and your battery acts as a reserve.

If you upgrade the battery it may alleviate the problem in the short term if your current one is old and has a reduced capacity, but it will also place a lot of strain on the alternator since it wasn't designed to deal with that high of a power draw over the factory systems.

The go:
ESS supercharger kit, Speed Engineering headers, NGK TR6IX plugs, ZR1 MAP sensor, DSS driveshaft, BMR trailing arms & toe rods.
610 HP/556 TQ. Tuned by Ryan at KC Maxx Performance.

The less important bits:
MRR 228s, SLP front lip, ZL1 grille (no bowtie), Z28 spoiler with ZL1 Addons wickerbill, RPID tow hook, Sparks Restoration SS trunk emblem, ZL1 rear & Phastek front rock guards.
JoelNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 11:53 AM   #9
PepeLePew

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelNR View Post
I've never run a dual battery system so I can't be of much help on your last question and it's been years since I've done a system in one of my cars so take this with a grain of salt.

I would upgrade the alternator first as long as your current battery is still in good health.

Once your vehicle is on the alternator is the main source of power generation and your battery acts as a reserve.

If you upgrade the battery it may alleviate the problem in the short term if your current one is old and has a reduced capacity, but it will also place a lot of strain on the alternator since it wasn't designed to deal with that high of a power draw over the factory systems.
Exactly! Take a look at a 240 or 320 amp mechman.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:54 PM   #10
Alfdawg

I wanted to try upgrading the battery and maybe adding a second battery because another member go big or go home has a 4k stereo build with 3 amps and she has 2 batteries and stock alternator.

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=327663