#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-25-2020, 12:56 PM   #1
csolas

Drives: 2019 2SS 1LE
Jumpy, hoppy suspension or tires? 30-40mph

Hi guys,

I am in love with my brand new 2019 2SS 1LE that I purchased recently.

However I would like to know if it is the characteristics of this car to have a very sensitive suspension. I feel like if the car was always hopping or jumping up and down, specially when cruising between 30-40mph. You can feel it in all driver modes. It is like a constant hop, kind of like a flat spot on a tire but except that at highway speeds I dont feel anything, it is very smooth. so i dont know what it is or if it is normal, any suggestions or feedback appreciated. thank you!!!
csolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 02:17 PM   #2
Blueclyde

Drives: 2023 ZLE
Not sure what the roads are like that you are driving on but the suspension on the 1LE is stiff. You can literally feel every crack and expansion joint in the road. It’s much stiffer that a standard SS.
Blueclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 02:37 PM   #3
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by csolas View Post
Hi guys,

I am in love with my brand new 2019 2SS 1LE that I purchased recently.

However I would like to know if it is the characteristics of this car to have a very sensitive suspension. I feel like if the car was always hopping or jumping up and down, specially when cruising between 30-40mph. You can feel it in all driver modes. It is like a constant hop, kind of like a flat spot on a tire but except that at highway speeds I dont feel anything, it is very smooth. so i dont know what it is or if it is normal, any suggestions or feedback appreciated. thank you!!!
I would start with checking the balance on the tires - especially the rear ones. I had a similar situation after new tires were mounted a year ago. The annoying vibrations were in the 50-60 mph range - not above or below.
I took the car to another shop (Discount Tires) and had them re-balance the rears and all was good.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 04:07 PM   #4
csolas

thanks for the info, is not a vibration is like a synchronous jump, like the car hops like a bunny.
Old 01-25-2020, 05:52 PM   #5
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Maybe a dumb question, but have you checked to make sure that the shipping blocks have been removed from the springs?

The 1LE isn't actually all that highly sprung, if anything it has rather soft springs for a track version car, and it can do this because of the MRC shocks. Now it does have stiff sway bars, but sway bars wouldn't cause that, the sway bars do transfer some "cross talk" , but that is a different sensation.

Mine it smooth, but it is not plush, nor is it meant to be. The MRC calibrations are designed for the track.

If you are getting constant vertical motions though, then something doesn't seem right because that is NOT one of the characteristic of this car, unless it is the roads.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 07:23 PM   #6
z28pat

Drives: 2002 z28, 2018 2ss 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
Maybe a dumb question, but have you checked to make sure that the shipping blocks have been removed from the springs?

The 1LE isn't actually all that highly sprung, if anything it has rather soft springs for a track version car, and it can do this because of the MRC shocks. Now it does have stiff sway bars, but sway bars wouldn't cause that, the sway bars do transfer some "cross talk" , but that is a different sensation.

Mine it smooth, but it is not plush, nor is it meant to be. The MRC calibrations are designed for the track.

If you are getting constant vertical motions though, then something doesn't seem right because that is NOT one of the characteristic of this car, unless it is the roads.
I was going to suggest the same thing, orange spring spacers
z28pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 08:48 PM   #7
JROC
Account Suspended

Drives: 19 Camaro SS 1LE, 03 Ford Lightning
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post

Agreed.

These orange things on the springs don't belong there for anything other than GM transporting the car to the dealership. If they were left on/in the front springs then jack the front of the car up and pull the out of the springs. They just lift the frontend a little to give the car a little extra ground clearance.

Even though I will say that my car with the lifting blocks rode surprisingly well. But it's still a good starting point to try and fix your issue.

In my experience if the road produces a constant buzz or rough ride like it hasn't been repaved since the 1970's then the magnaride does little to mute that in this car, but it's ability to soak up and absorb sudden, harsh, jarring impacts is very admirable and/or impressive.
JROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 09:20 PM   #8
Coded4SS

Drives: 2020 1SS 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by JROC View Post
Agreed.

These orange things on the springs don't belong there for anything other than GM transporting the car to the dealership. If they were left on/in the front springs then jack the front of the car up and pull the out of the springs. They just lift the frontend a little to give the car a little extra ground clearance.

Even though I will say that my car with the lifting blocks rode surprisingly well. But it's still a good starting point to try and fix your issue.

In my experience if the road produces a constant buzz or rough ride like it hasn't been repaved since the 1970's then the magnaride does little to mute that in this car, but it's ability to soak up and absorb sudden, harsh, jarring impacts is very admirable and/or impressive.

Man that's the way to describe the suspension right there
Coded4SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 09:28 PM   #9
crab

Drives: 2019 1LE
My 19 1le is silky smooth.
"That my friend.. is the sweet succulent sound of the car preparing to ignite the wonderfully tasty nectar your V8 needs to send the screaming bald eagles furiously from the 4 pipes out of the rear of your vehicle"
crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 10:06 PM   #10
csolas

thank you all, i dont have those blocks on the springs. I dont know i think sometimes i am being OCD because at highways speed is very smooth. I am lost at this point. Maybe bad wheel balancing? Where are the counterweights used for wheel balancing on these wheels? i cant find any
Old 01-26-2020, 01:26 AM   #11
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by csolas View Post
thank you all, i dont have those blocks on the springs. I dont know i think sometimes i am being OCD because at highways speed is very smooth. I am lost at this point. Maybe bad wheel balancing? Where are the counterweights used for wheel balancing on these wheels? i cant find any
On mine they are pretty visable on the inside of the wheel barrel.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 06:17 AM   #12
cmfhsu

Behavior is not normal in my car. Perfectly smooth with the OE wheels & tires on.

The only thing I felt is the rear end hop on hitting a big bump with the fresh bushings & 60 pound wheel/tire combo. I suspect that's settled in a bit now.

I do notice that I can notice road imperfections quite easily with this car. A section of highway has a slightly undulating surface near me & I never really noticed it until I drove this car. That's saying something, considering my last car was a Fiesta ST and they're not exactly known for comfortable suspension.
cmfhsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 05:35 PM   #13
AmazinglySmooth

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Tramlining?
AmazinglySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 05:39 PM   #14
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazinglySmooth View Post
Tramlining?
Not really an issue with the 1LE, at least not in my experience.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote