Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 06-13-2021, 11:06 AM   #1
HyperBlue1SS

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue Camaro 1SS
Texas Sheriff Using “Ghost” Chevy Camaros To Catch Speeders

https://www.carscoops.com/2021/06/te...atch-speeders/

1LE Replicas / Solo Axleback Exhaust/ Street Scene Front Splitter / Diode Dynamics Smoked LED Side Markers / OEM Smoked Tails & Third Brake Light / OEM Illuminated Door Sills / OEM ZL1 Side Skirts / OEM ZL1 Spoiler / OEM Black Badges / GM CAI / Soler Engineering TB/TC / Katzkin Leather / 20% Tint
HyperBlue1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 11:16 AM   #2
Envious_Ivy1LE

Drives: Krypton Green V6 1LE
they'd make more money by ticketing unsafe driving habits (like tailgating or failure to use a signal) than they'll make only going after speeders.

subsequently, with their mindset that ticketing speeders will make the roads safer, they'd be able to ticket a broader range of the population, seeing as they'd constantly be able to pull people over for those two things alone therefore people would stop doing them.

but.. speeding tickets are more lucrative
Envious_Ivy1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 12:08 PM   #3
len125

Drives: chevrolet camaro
i know its tough

yes i know its sad...it seems like the local gov is corrupt.but texas has an epidemic of street racing...15 people (some innocent bystanders) were killed in street racing the last 6-8 weeks alone...People just cant control themselves.. why dont they just go to a local track. The new F9 movie will be released shortly, they are just gearing up to prevent possible tragedys...thats why they are disguised as camaros..
len125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 12:13 PM   #4
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
You know... if they are driving around to slow people down for safety and all that, all they need is marked cars.

They are flat out looking for revenue, do not fool yourself.

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 12:13 PM   #5
D_H

Drives: '19 Camaro M1SS1LE
Tailgating!?? I never have people tailgate. If you have someone on your ass, get out of the way because you're doing something wrong. I'm in Allen, TX. If they are all over your ass and you're in traffic, well there's not much you can do, but still try to get out of the way. Get out of the way or else put the hammer down. They ought to use them to catch people (illegal immigrants that don't know the driving laws, and others) who are driving 20mph under the speed limit, stopping in the middle of the road to check their GPS, being extremely too cautious, or other traffic impeding actions. That's messed up that they are allowed to drive 'ghost' vehicles.
D_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 12:17 PM   #6
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Good idea to use them in my opinion.
Old 06-13-2021, 12:37 PM   #7
Envious_Ivy1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_H View Post
Tailgating!?? I never have people tailgate. If you have someone on your ass, get out of the way because you're doing something wrong. I'm in Allen, TX. If they are all over your ass and you're in traffic, well there's not much you can do, but still try to get out of the way. Get out of the way or else put the hammer down.
I'm in DFW currently. If I'm ever driving ridiculous speeds its because some jacka** was 2 inches away from my bumper when I'm already going 15 over and there's nowhere I can go.. so I dropped gears and made my own path. I'm not the sit in the fast lane driver. as soon as I can reasonably get over, I do. Independent of if I'm the fastest driver on the road or not.

Honestly things have gotten way worse in the 3 years I've been here... I'm not California bashing but there seems to be a correlation between all the people moving here and the level of accidents increasing
Old 06-13-2021, 12:53 PM   #8
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Envious_Ivy1LE View Post
I'm in DFW currently. If I'm ever driving ridiculous speeds its because some jacka** was 2 inches away from my bumper when I'm already going 15 over and there's nowhere I can go.. so I dropped gears and made my own path. I'm not the sit in the fast lane driver. as soon as I can reasonably get over, I do. Independent of if I'm the fastest driver on the road or not.

Honestly things have gotten way worse in the 3 years I've been here... I'm not California bashing but there seems to be a correlation between all the people moving here and the level of accidents increasing
Also seems a lot of those Katrina refugees from New Orleans as well who settled in Texas causing issues too.
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 12:58 PM   #9
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
no shortage of red light runners,tailgaters,and racers here in florida.around here you can pretty much go 10 over and still worry about being run over in the middle lane.i did see a jackass going 70 in the fast lane on I-4 eastbound get pulled for impeding traffic by a state cop in a plain black charger...made my day.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 01:13 PM   #10
Envious_Ivy1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSSStlfan View Post
Also seems a lot of those Katrina refugees from New Orleans as well who settled in Texas causing issues too.
those were different kind of issues. I was in Houston area at the time that happened, still in highschool. odd seeing the priorities of the school shift and all the extra security measures they put in place.

I feel way less stressed driving in Houston than I do driving in DFW.
Old 06-13-2021, 01:48 PM   #11
D_H

Drives: '19 Camaro M1SS1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Envious_Ivy1LE View Post

Driving 15 over and you still have a lot of people on your ass. I call straight BS there. You remember I said I drive here didn't you. You can't hardly ever drive 15 over because there's too many people trying to drive 15 under, and they're in the way. Well that and then there are always cops hiding trying to catch us. And yeah, tons of people have moved here from Cali in the last few years. I have had quite a few people want to 'race' me on the interstate. They just pull up beside me and and go flat out. They're crazy. They don't stop till they hit 150 in traffic.
D_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 02:09 PM   #12
Envious_Ivy1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_H View Post
Driving 15 over and you still have a lot of people on your ass. I call straight BS there. You remember I said I drive here didn't you. You can't hardly ever drive 15 over because there's too many people trying to drive 15 under, and they're in the way. Well that and then there are always cops hiding trying to catch us. And yeah, tons of people have moved here from Cali in the last few years. I have had quite a few people want to 'race' me on the interstate. They just pull up beside me and and go flat out. They're crazy. They don't stop till they hit 150 in traffic.
Allen is about an hour away from me. Traffic in Fort Worth is totally different than traffic in Dallas which is different than Plano. Drive on 183/121/I20 or I30/820 and the flow of traffic in the morning hours is generally 80-85 (which is 15-20 over, 25 over in some areas). Peak traffic in Dallas city limits is different because of being severely over congested and lanes appear to be more narrow. Trust me, at 75 I will no doubt have some moron up my a** and a line of cars trying to pass on the right
Old 06-13-2021, 03:10 PM   #13
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Well, if you guys think that's ridiculous in the States, I have heard even more ridiculous stuff around here. There are police vehicles that are disguised exactly like a work van, but it doesn't have any phone numbers on it. Easy-to-miss details. I got pulled over recently by a blue pick-up truck that's a cop. It was me being a dumb-dumb, but having an old friend you haven't seen 2 years in a sports car can make you do something dumb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
You know... if they are driving around to slow people down for safety and all that, all they need is marked cars.

They are flat out looking for revenue, do not fool yourself.
Yeah true, and that's why I have a radar detector.

It still depends on how they are patrolling. Last time I got caught, my detector didn't go off so they probably just heard the exhaust and see that I was driving fast, but at least for most marked cars, I can pick up the Ka signals way before I see them.

BTW, moving police vehicles will only ever use radar(mostly Ka band) so a radar detector is still pretty useful for these situations. Lidar can't be used when a police vehicle is moving - the user has to be stationary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSSStlfan View Post
Are they the v8 or the junk v6 or 4?
The picture shows SS, but really, you don't need many horsepowers for a police car since you can call up backups with radio, and good luck outrunning speed of light.

And even a V6 or 2.0T can at least catch ricers and some lower-end hot hatches.

If you think about it, most police Chargers are either 3.6 or 5.7. Few counties are wealthy enough to have a 392 or Hellcat in their fleet. 3.6 Charger is way slower than 2.0T Camaro, while 5.7 Charger is about as quick as a 3.6 Camaro(because Charger weighs so much, especially in police car form).

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 04:03 PM   #14
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
These so called Ghost Camaros here in Harris County Houston have been around for a decade now.

Texan Football player Mario Williams donated the 1st ones in 2011 and a couple of them even went to Hennessey for superchargers.