Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 05-19-2021, 12:22 AM   #1
Abelardoo_12

Drives: 2011 camaro ss convertible
Benefit of ported heads

I have a l99 and will be putting a 416 stroker kit in it with a whipple supercharger. I was planning on getting the heads ported but after reading a couple of threads I’m not sure if it will be worth it. Our heads are pretty good stock and there aren’t much gains on a n/a set up, but what about on a 416 stroker? Plus with a supercharger? Would there be any benefit for ported heads on this set up?
Abelardoo_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 06:27 AM   #2
larry_g

Drives: 2014 1SS/1LE
Even with a supercharger, your engine is still just a big air pump. The easier you move air in and out, the more power you make. Porting the heads will reduce the amount of boost required for the same horsepower. It's up to you to decide if it's worth the extra expense. I have no regrets with my setup.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
830 WHP 700 WTQ, Whipple 2.9 @ 13lbs Boost, Flex Fuel Tune by Blevins Tuning, LSA SBE, 3.5 GripTec, ATI LS3 Damper, AFR 260cc Mongoose, ARP Studs, Yella Terra Ultralites, Johnson 2110R, BTR PDS Stage 3, Melling 10355, Improved Racing Baffle, ID1050X, DSX Triple Fuel Pump, RotoFab CAI, NW 103mm TB, Stainless Works 1-7/8" LTH to 3" Speed Eng w/ X-pipe to NPP, Powermaster 9509 XS, Detroit Speed Motor Mounts, MGW, Monster LT1-S, ZL1 Calipers, DBA Rotors & Pads, Bilstein B6 Struts & Shocks, BMR 1.25" Drop Springs & Adj Rear Bar, Pegasus Solid Bushings, Z/28 Wheels, other misc parts.
larry_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 06:27 AM   #3
Yellow 1
Grumpy Grey-haired Guy

Drives: Camaro, Corvette & Merc C300(daily)
Can possibly work against you; I have CNC GMPP heads fitted (done at same time as Magi install) and the efficiency of the heads along with the long tubes means that I'm only pushing "about" 6lbs of boost (according to Magnuson tech guys) where normally they'd expect about 7lbs. They theorize that the spent stuff is getting scavenged from the combustion chamber more efficiently than usual. Dunno how true this is without getting the car in a laboratory or the motor on a flow bench/dyno. All I know is, it's plenty :-)
Old 05-19-2021, 06:46 AM   #4
gunchamp

Drives: 15 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abelardoo_12 View Post
I have a l99 and will be putting a 416 stroker kit in it with a whipple supercharger. I was planning on getting the heads ported but after reading a couple of threads I’m not sure if it will be worth it. Our heads are pretty good stock and there aren’t much gains on a n/a set up, but what about on a 416 stroker? Plus with a supercharger? Would there be any benefit for ported heads on this set up?
If your are going that far, why wouldnt you do it is a better question. Squeeze all the horsepower you can. You will get used to the power and start regretting the decision to not do the heads. Stock heads do flow fairly well, but there is gains to be had. I'm running relatively low boost and my setup feels insane. Better yet, grab a set of aftermarket heads for even more gain. I can fully vouch for the heads from GPI. They are a work of art
15 Camaro SS- GPI max top end, ESS Vortech V3 9psi, ID 1050s, ZL1 pump, JMS bap, Long tubes, Corsa extreme, Circle D pro 5C, 391 rear, DSS carbon drive shaft, poly cradle bushings, tuned by Ted Jannetty and much much more
gunchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 10:13 AM   #5
Abelardoo_12

My plan initially was to get them ported since they were going to be off. Then as I kept doing research I came across different posts saying it wouldn’t do much on a supercharged engine. That’s where I started having doubts about doing them. But looks like I should get them ported after all.
Old 05-19-2021, 12:21 PM   #6
RobZL1
fo'shizZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
You'll pick up power AND have less boost and heat. Lost boost is not lost power in this case. Common misconception. You are reducing restriction by improving flow.

Ported heads might pick up 30 at the wheels, aftermarket heads- 50 or more. All depends on mods and power level you start with. With a 416, you'll see a big benefit. It wants to breathe better than the stock heads flow, for sure.

Past Rides-
2014 ZL1 M6 Red Hot | Tons of mods
2004 CTS-V M6 Silver | Many mods
1995 Corvette M6 Torch Red | A few more mods
1992 Camaro M5 White | A few mods
RobZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 03:46 PM   #7
G8One2

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS
Going larger displacement and or boost, porting will be beneficial. So in your case with the 416 YES port them. Stock displacement N/A, can cause you to lose some power depending on how much lift you run. Porting causes a loss of flow at low lift, say under .200" but you gain more flow at over .600" lift. If your staying at or under .600" lift for a cammed car, porting will likely hurt performance. Because at .600" lift or less, you want that increased low lift flow. If your pushing considerably more over .600" lift than the loss in low loft flow is gained back and then some, in the higher lift flow numbers, over the .600" mark.
G8One2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 07:24 PM   #8
Abelardoo_12

Thanks for the info, looks like I’ll go ahead and get them ported
Old 05-20-2021, 08:29 AM   #9
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
Most of the threads are about I want to supercharge my car down the road, what heads should I get. That answer is, save your money stock heads flow really well just do the supercharger you'll get more bang for your buck, save the money for the FI. Nothing wrong with doing both. My question would be how far do you plan to go because the Whipple 2.9 maxes out around 900whp. To get there you need fuel. Doing the heads won't do you any good if you are limited by fuel supply.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 09:33 AM   #10
Abelardoo_12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhornet2 View Post
Most of the threads are about I want to supercharge my car down the road, what heads should I get. That answer is, save your money stock heads flow really well just do the supercharger you'll get more bang for your buck, save the money for the FI. Nothing wrong with doing both. My question would be how far do you plan to go because the Whipple 2.9 maxes out around 900whp. To get there you need fuel. Doing the heads won't do you any good if you are limited by fuel supply.
I don’t plan on going that far with power on just the blower but I am trying to get as much as I can without too much boost. And yes dual pumps and injectors are also part of the build
Old 05-20-2021, 10:42 AM   #11
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
So to me it really depends on where you end up. Talking to a tuner or builder may be better. You will have to spin that blower pretty fast to pressurize that 416, I assume cammed ect.. so once you are turning that blower at its limit where does the boost end up. if its say 16psi with unworked heads, maybe with the worked heads you will be at 15psi and you'll be putting out essentially the same amount of power tho a little safer with less boost pressure. If you want every ounce out of it, I can see it. Me, I don't think I would. If I wanted to go into the 1kwhp party with a stroker I wouldn't be using a Whipple and would likely go turbo and new aftermarket heads.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 05:57 PM   #12
Rem0v3r

Drives: 2013 ss2 vert l99
As the piston drops and air is drawn into the cylinder, the gasses begin to accelerate down the port towards the cylinder.. when the piston is at the bottom, air will continue to cram itself into cylinder due to inertia, then the valve closes trapping the air in..

There is math involved. Too small of a port will choke the cylinder, too large a port will mean a low velocity of air and will limit the 'cramming' effect.

I didnt provide any answers but I hope this helps you out.
Personally I'd ask a good engine builder and go with his recommendation.
Rem0v3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 06:00 PM   #13
Rem0v3r

Drives: 2013 ss2 vert l99
Also, dont worry about restriction until its effecting your power gains.. if your flowing 2 grams per cylinder at 15psi or 2 grams per cylinder at 10psi.. you still have the same ammount of air to throw fuel at (2 grams)..
Rem0v3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 08:50 PM   #14
SeaCompiler
...not a marine biologist

Drives: 2012 Camaro RY SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abelardoo_12 View Post
Thanks for the info, looks like I’ll go ahead and get them ported
Good choice. Get it done.
Forged 416 stroker Turbocharged with Huron Speed with Cam Motion custom grind,Tuned by Vengeance, 8psi, 25% PowerBond UDP, Ported TB, shaved heads, LS9 gaskets, chromoly pushrods, BT trunnions & dual valve springs, IWIS, Might Mouse CC, SJM Line Lock,, MSD 2-Step, ZL1 Rear End, ZL1 spoiler, Strut Brace, ARP bolts, Skip shift elim, A-Pillar Gauges, FR Style 41 20X10, 3 inch exhaust, blackouts, Lowered, Custom badges, Hines vents,RPI fender vents, Technostalgia Tail Lights, Metra Kit, Pioneer stereo, Morimoto RGB Halos,
"The Great Awakening" on gab.com
SeaCompiler is offline   Reply With Quote