Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 06-07-2016, 12:42 PM   #1
Faster12

Drives: 2012 Black ZL1 #1158
Miles and Mods

So, I wanted to ask a few questions and see what the general consensus is.

1. Are there any guys on the forum who have crossed 70k, 80k, or even 100k miles yet?

2. For any of you gents with the higher mileage, do you have any mods and if so, what was/is the pre and post mod mileage?

I ask those first two questions because of my current circumstance. I live in Arlington VA now and I'm finding the cost of living and lack of outdoor space to be a bit contradictory to my ZL1. I bought it new in 2012 and I now have 71,697 miles on it. That said, here is my second set of questions:

1. Should I sell it, and if so do you think their are many interested buyers for a high mileage ZL1?

2. Should I just mod it and if I take this route, am I on borrowed time with the stock block? I'm thinking JRE 650 whp package.
Faster12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 12:08 PM   #2
BlackinBlack

Drives: 2016 Corvette Z06 Blade Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster12 View Post
So, I wanted to ask a few questions and see what the general consensus is.

1. Are there any guys on the forum who have crossed 70k, 80k, or even 100k miles yet?

2. For any of you gents with the higher mileage, do you have any mods and if so, what was/is the pre and post mod mileage?

I ask those first two questions because of my current circumstance. I live in Arlington VA now and I'm finding the cost of living and lack of outdoor space to be a bit contradictory to my ZL1. I bought it new in 2012 and I now have 71,697 miles on it. That said, here is my second set of questions:

1. Should I sell it, and if so do you think their are many interested buyers for a high mileage ZL1?

2. Should I just mod it and if I take this route, am I on borrowed time with the stock block? I'm thinking JRE 650 whp package.
First on the mileage. and

Total props for driving the car but that is a crazy amount of miles. About 17K per year?

Answer 1. Selling it is going to be ugly. My guess is trade in will be close to 30K at a dealer. Most ZL1s are under miles. Many are WAY under miles. I had 31K on my 13 (also bought in 2012). In my area many used ZL1 have less than 10K on them.... which is dumb. So I was averaging 10K per year on the car. It cost me 2K in trade over most low mile ZL1 dealer trades I have seen. The dealer specifically said it was because my car was high miles verse the normal ZL1 trade in.

With you being way over the accepted 12K per year average that will be a major hit I am guessing.

Answer 2. Modding. Assuming properly maintained and I am guessing lots of highway miles. The engine should be OK to mod but I would have a health check done first. I have seen older cars with higher miles get modded and run well after the mods. BUT I would expect the need for a secondary car to allow for "issues". More HP does mean more wear and as miles go up parts will break. Just nature of the beast.

2013 ZL1 BLACK on BLACK <SOLD>
Roto-Fab CAI

2010 2SS/RS BLACK on BLACK <SOLD>
3" MBRP 304 Stainless Exhaust
Roto-Fab CAI
BlackinBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 01:30 PM   #3
Faster12

Drives: 2012 Black ZL1 #1158
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackinBlack View Post
First on the mileage. and

Total props for driving the car but that is a crazy amount of miles. About 17K per year?

Answer 1. Selling it is going to be ugly. My guess is trade in will be close to 30K at a dealer. Most ZL1s are under miles. Many are WAY under miles. I had 31K on my 13 (also bought in 2012). In my area many used ZL1 have less than 10K on them.... which is dumb. So I was averaging 10K per year on the car. It cost me 2K in trade over most low mile ZL1 dealer trades I have seen. The dealer specifically said it was because my car was high miles verse the normal ZL1 trade in.

With you being way over the accepted 12K per year average that will be a major hit I am guessing.

Answer 2. Modding. Assuming properly maintained and I am guessing lots of highway miles. The engine should be OK to mod but I would have a health check done first. I have seen older cars with higher miles get modded and run well after the mods. BUT I would expect the need for a secondary car to allow for "issues". More HP does mean more wear and as miles go up parts will break. Just nature of the beast.
Absolutely all highway miles. I've driven this car all over the country...NM, TX, OK, AR, MO, LA, MS, KY, OH, IN...and probably a few others. I love this car and I've literally lived in the driver's seat since I bought it. If I could land anywhere near $30k I would be happy with that. I'm hoping to get $28k in a trade or sale, but I just wanted to know if that was a reasonable expectation.

Also about the mods, I was considering swapping heads along with the JRE package because that's about the only thing that doesn't get touched. I assumed that would give me a bit more reliability for the long run. Again, I'm just looking for guys with technical knowledge or actual experience to lend their input on the high mileage mod topic. Thanks for your perspective.
Faster12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 01:54 PM   #4
2014CamaroZL1

Drives: 2014 CRT ZL1
Nice ! I have 65k, and have loved every mile.
Not enough high mileage ZL1s to get definitive info.
Very low mileage ZL1s are going cheaply these days.
Probably better to retain, mod reasonably, and enjoy.
Old 06-08-2016, 04:42 PM   #5
Jazor28

Drives: Stock for now :)
My 13 ZL1 has a bit over 110k Kms done now . I only changed the supercharger once under warranty . That's the only engine problem I got so far in my car . To date it runs smooth as ever .... Love it . I'll use it until I need a new engine .... Got extended warranty for another 7 years remaining ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jazor28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 06:47 PM   #6
Redlineviper

Drives: 2013 ZL1
My post is purely opinion, no hard facts per say. But if a junk yard 4.8, 5.3, and 6.0's can take a ton of abuse on high mileage engines I would say the LSA is an even better candidate. Mod away.
Redlineviper is offline   Reply With Quote