#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 05-25-2016, 09:36 AM   #15
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Also note that the ZL1 is coming with something called "custom launch control"...clearly they expect some people to take this car to the drag strip.

And of course, it's currently (or just finished) tearing up the Nurburgring to great acclaim.

And it'll have a cushy interior... A jack-of-all-trades, for sure!
Old 05-25-2016, 10:13 AM   #16
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Also note that the ZL1 is coming with something called "custom launch control"...clearly they expect some people to take this car to the drag strip.

And of course, it's currently (or just finished) tearing up the Nurburgring to great acclaim.

And it'll have a cushy interior... A jack-of-all-trades, for sure!
Jack of all trades. PERFECTLY sums up the ZL1's in my mind!

Comfortable road trip? Check
Drag strip? Check
Road course? Check
AutoX? Check
Rolling track races? Check

LT4 is no joke, I am dying to see the reviews and maybe even have a chance of driving one before I purchase one just to see how well it actually puts down the power to the wheels because C7 Zo6 = spin machine in 1st, 2nd and 3rd unless you have the z07 package but then you need new tires every 4k miles lol. Don't get me wrong though, Zo6 will still hook up but it will always spin for a second or two which isn't good for competitive purposes.

I have extreme trust and faith in GY after experiencing the camaro SS tires. Much better than PSS's plus the ZL1 having that extra weight that the c7zo6 doesn't. I am willing to bet it will put down the power better!
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 10:14 AM   #17
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven59 View Post
They did over 800 hard launches on the Gen 5 rear end, will the Gen 6 be as bombproof?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
I was wrong, it was over 1000. http://www.conceptcarz.com/z19475/ch...amaro-zl1.aspx
Old 05-25-2016, 10:19 AM   #18
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr6 View Post
Jack of all trades. PERFECTLY sums up the ZL1's in my mind!

Comfortable road trip? Check
Drag strip? Check
Road course? Check
AutoX? Check
Rolling track races? Check

LT4 is no joke, I am dying to see the reviews and maybe even have a chance of driving one before I purchase one just to see how well it actually puts down the power to the wheels because C7 Zo6 = spin machine in 1st, 2nd and 3rd unless you have the z07 package but then you need new tires every 4k miles lol. Don't get me wrong though, Zo6 will still hook up but it will always spin for a second or two which isn't good for competitive purposes.

I have extreme trust and faith in GY after experiencing the camaro SS tires. Much better than PSS's plus the ZL1 having that extra weight that the c7zo6 doesn't. I am willing to bet it will put down the power better!
Better than MPss? I think a lot of current ZL1 owners would debate that.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:31 AM   #19
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Better than MPss? I think a lot of current ZL1 owners would debate that.
On the track...the Eagle F1 G:2s hold temperature better than the Pilot Super Sports. Both are great tires...one has higher temperature limits...and on a heavier car, that's going to be a big deal on lap 20...

But he may have been referring to the SS's tires?

On the road, it might be a different story. But I swear I've never had a problem with my tires until ambient dropped below 40 degrees.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:36 AM   #20
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Quote:
On the track...the Eagle F1 G:2s hold temperature better than the Pilot Super Sports. Both are great tires...one has higher temperature limits...and on a heavier car, that's going to be a big deal on lap 20...

But he may have been referring to the SS's tires?

On the road, it might be a different story. But I swear I've never had a problem with my tires until ambient dropped below 40 degrees.
Track they might be ok most of the drag racers don't like them and on the street they suck. They are a nail, screw and rock magnet. Go to the ZL1 tire thread and read, the under 40 degrees thing really sucks.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:52 AM   #21
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Track they might be ok most of the drag racers don't like them and on the street they suck. They are a nail, screw and rock magnet. Go to the ZL1 tire thread and read, the under 40 degrees thing really sucks.
I don't need to go to the thread, respectfully...I've been driving exclusively on them for the past four years and nearly 80,000 miles....in Buffalo, NY no less.

I can understand how they stink on the strip...and maybe even the autocross...no chance to get any heat in them...and until that happens, they're not stellar. Can't say I've ever had a problem with nails or screws....one back in 2012 on the day I bought it, and that (we think) was a mistake at the dealer.

The "rim protectors" are useless, though....
Old 05-25-2016, 10:57 AM   #22
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
Quote:
I don't need to go to the thread, respectfully...I've been driving exclusively on them for the past four years and nearly 80,000 miles....in Buffalo, NY no less.

I can understand how they stink on the strip...and maybe even the autocross...no chance to get any heat in them...and until that happens, they're not stellar. Can't say I've ever had a problem with nails or screws....one back in 2012 on the day I bought it, and that (we think) was a mistake at the dealer.

The "rim protectors" are useless, though....
Yup driving on them here too. The G2's are awesome when they are warm. I'me seriously looking forward to testing their limits at the Glen in 2 weeks. It's no wonder they're putting them on the 1LE and ZL1 again.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:03 AM   #23
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor142 View Post
Yup driving on them here too. The G2's are awesome when they are warm. I'me seriously looking forward to testing their limits at the Glen in 2 weeks. It's no wonder they're putting them on the 1LE and ZL1 again.
With a new and improved tread pattern, too! My instincts suggest they'll handle water better, in addition to enhanced grip.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:08 AM   #24
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
Quote:
With a new and improved tread pattern, too! My instincts suggest they'll handle water better, in addition to enhanced grip.
I sure hope so
Old 05-25-2016, 11:18 AM   #25
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
There are "unprofessional" comparisions if you look for them. I've seen a lot of street racing videos and typically the C6 ZR1s are faster but then again the C7's have usually had the Stage III aero which will hinder top end a bit.

Here's a non street racing video and the C7 is even moded vs a stock ZR1.

I fully expect the 6th gen ZL1 to be a better drag racing car, better touring car, and capable of easily besting the 5th gen ZL1 on a road course in terms of a hero lap.

What I WILL be curious to see is how the 6th gen ZL1 does at sustained road course / HPDE events, where you're on track for 20-30 minutes. The C7 Z06 has a very impressive hero or single lap time. But it isn't sustainable, every track event I've participated in that has had a C7 Z06/07 had them overheat. Looks like Team Camaro may have addressed that issue by having 11(?) heat exchangers.

Quote:
On the track...the Eagle F1 G:2s hold temperature better than the Pilot Super Sports. Both are great tires...one has higher temperature limits...and on a heavier car, that's going to be a big deal on lap 20.
Back when I had my ZL1 I tracked it on stock Eagle F1's, MPSS, Yokohama ADVAN AD08R's and Nitto NT01's. Obviously the Nitto was by far the best tire of the four. However I personally liked the MPSS more than the Eagle F1's, they had more grip at the limit in my opinion. However they were prone to getting greasy if you weren't careful.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 11:26 AM   #26
Mister Will

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr6 View Post
Which again, makes me wonder if its too much for the street?

But to the OP, I think historical precedence should be taken into consideration. How many legitimate comparisons between the new and last generation have any of you seen. Generally a review will compare HP, acceleration and track times, maybe a opinion on drivability. But not a lot of direct comparisons. The internet forums will do all the comparisons without help.
Mister Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 12:51 PM   #27
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Will View Post
.... The internet forums will do all the comparisons without help.
I may start a thread where I state the paint on the Black ZL1 is going to be thinner than any other model, and the white ZL1's will have an extra coat of clear to make them shine more, thus faster in the wind tunnel. Of course, I heard this my uncle's friends third cousin that was stated from a GM rep a couple weeks ago at plant tour. You read it here, it must be true.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote