Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-04-2017, 05:32 PM   #1
SPORTBIKES

Drives: 1967 Firemaro / 2017 2SS
Anyone try PowerStop TrackDay Pads?

Since I am moving to the Z26 pads for street based on a lot of positive feedback from this community, I thought I would try their Track Day Pads.

I drive about 2 days monthly on the track. So I wanted a track day pad that can be driven to the track, and I would switch back to my DD pads when done.

The first issue I see with the PowerStop Track day set-up... the front pads are ONLY with the kit including the rotors. I was all set to buy and have a TrackDay set-up, but I noticed you can 't buy front pads separately?? I look on their site, Summit and talked to a Summit tech, as PowerStop was closed.

Any input or suggestions??

2017 Camaro 2SS
2015 Corvette Z06/Z07
1975 Supercharged Corvette
1967 Firemaro Show Car - For Sale
SPORTBIKES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 07:49 AM   #2
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
I'm curious too. Subscribing.

Norm
Old 06-05-2017, 07:56 AM   #3
Chez

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I used them on my RS for one track day, no problems at all. I did not have any brake ducting and left the dust shields on. Ran Motul 660 and had no fade after 3 25 minute sessions. I purchased from amazon.
Chez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 08:22 AM   #4
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chwz View Post
I used them on my RS for one track day, no problems at all. I did not have any brake ducting and left the dust shields on. Ran Motul 660 and had no fade after 3 25 minute sessions.
What track?

I'm noting that your car and mine are roughly comparable power-wise (yours has a few more HP, mine has a few more ft*lbs), so the demands on the pads/rotors/fluid should be similar. If it's a track that I've run, the pad comparison will be that much better.

Thanks, and thanks in advance.

Norm
Old 06-05-2017, 08:27 AM   #5
mbar

Drives: 2016 1SS
You can buy just the fronts alone. Search for PST-1001.
Do a search for my review on these pads. They are great value for money for beginner to intermediate drivers. If you are faster, they will not last.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:29 AM   #6
Chez

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
What track?

I'm noting that your car and mine are roughly comparable power-wise (yours has a few more HP, mine has a few more ft*lbs), so the demands on the pads/rotors/fluid should be similar. If it's a track that I've run, the pad comparison will be that much better.

Thanks, and thanks in advance.

Norm
I was at Pitt Race, south track.
Chez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 08:48 AM   #7
locktyght

Drives: Summit White 2016 2SS
I used them for a 5x30min track day at NOLA motorsports 2.75 config, worked very well, no fade in any of the 30 minute sessions, wear was great, I say they have 2 more track days in them.

FYI I have the 6 piston/14.6 fronts
Old 06-05-2017, 02:30 PM   #8
SPORTBIKES

Thanks for the info.

I'm hesitant to use these, as there phone support is horrible - based on my personal experience and another thread here. I wanted to see temp charts and/or comparison of TrackDay to Z26 and they don't seem to have tech specs? I see they are made in China, and thinking it is just a "mail-order" company.

Running the Z26 for street - new installed, but passing on TrackDay and moving to Hawk or EBC or Carbotech. Doing my research now.

2017 Camaro 2SS
2015 Corvette Z06/Z07
Old 06-06-2017, 02:13 PM   #9
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
So far I've ran 3 days on the Track Day pads on my 1LE. They're roughly equivalent to a Carbotech XP10 in terms of pedal feel and mu. That said, their mu starts off high when cold and medium temps, and gradually lowers as they get close to being hot. It is however no problem to overwhelm the ABS calibration and go into ice mode, so a delicate foot is required to get the maximum pace. I'd put their modulation as "good"; not as amazing as Carbotech but much better than a Wilwood B or PFC 01.

The pad wear I'd say is "good"; less wear than a Carbotech but more than a metallic pad like a Raybestos. Given the heat checking on my rotors, the pads have excellent temperature resiliency, on top of highlighting the 1LE needs better rotor cooling ducting.

For the price, they're a no brainer. If you're consistently in the Advanced HPDE group and/or setting NASA class records, then you'll want more than these pads, and you're willing to pay for it accordingly.

Value = Excellent
Total Mu = Very good
Mu curve = Fair
Wear = Good
Modulation = Very Good
Temperature resilience = Excellent

P.S. I also run the Z26 on the street and find them a perfectly suitable street pad, with very low dust, quiet, and appropriate street mu and mu curve.
Old 06-07-2017, 12:55 PM   #10
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i have the z26 on my car right now and will be bringing the track day ones this saturday to fontana to use if i need to...its my first track day so with upgraded lines and fluid and the track backing plates and scoops i might be ok well see!
Old 06-07-2017, 08:06 PM   #11
SPORTBIKES

Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
i have the z26 on my car right now and will be bringing the track day ones this saturday to fontana to use if i need to...its my first track day so with upgraded lines and fluid and the track backing plates and scoops i might be ok well see!
I purchased the Raybestos ST43s for the track today. There is a thread in the racing forum that swayed me in that direction. I called to inquire about tech specs of the TrackDay pads and still no call back, as they promised....

Let me know how Fontana is! I am considering going to an event there. More concerned about the organizer, as in my opinion, that is a crucial part of a track day.

2017 Camaro 2SS
2015 Corvette Z06/Z07
Old 06-08-2017, 11:47 AM   #12
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
haha weird i emailed them a few times and heard back within a day but well see how they go! ive been to fontana and its the closest track to me but ill be going to big willow and chuckwalla later this year/next year also