Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 12-05-2014, 08:41 AM   #1
Faster12

Drives: 2012 Black ZL1 #1158
HELP Please!

A few months ago I wrecked my Z. I hit a dear and did damage to my driver's side fender and headlight area. I had the bumper, heat exchanger, washer fluid resevoir, fender and tire replaced. I had MPSS 295 up front. Since the accident the driver side seems to be slightly lower than the passenger. I mean there is less space from wheel to fender on that side. When driving I notice that the driver's side tire is getting cut. Only the driver's side tire. I have taken it back to that repair shop multiple times, tried the dealership, and another repair shop to no avail. They all claim there isn't a suspension issue yet they cannot explain how it keeps occurring. One suggested the tires are too big which I know to be false as many others here have the same tires with no issue. At least one member has his car lowered with 295s and no issue. What can I do? The insurance company is pretty much done now. They won't pay for another opinion, nor do they care.
Faster12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 09:01 AM   #2
boondocksaint
Cartoon Maus

Drives: White ZL1, Chevroyota Prizolla
Go to a trustworthy independent or tuner shop and have them inspect the suspension (probably costs an hour of labor) to define the problem and offer a solution.
boondocksaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 09:17 AM   #3
jnorman7911

Drives: 2018 Silver ZL1 1LE
was the tire replaced after the wreak? If so, was the exact same size "width" wise put back on it. I have read somewhere that MPSS tires come in 11.6 and 12 inch wide.
jnorman7911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 09:44 AM   #4
Faster12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnorman7911 View Post
was the tire replaced after the wreak? If so, was the exact same size "width" wise put back on it. I have read somewhere that MPSS tires come in 11.6 and 12 inch wide.
The tire was replaced. I believe it was the Ferrari spec not the Porsche, but I'm certain it was the exact same as before. It was like little ribbon slices on the top outer edge.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:46 AM   #5
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster12 View Post
The tire was replaced. I believe it was the Ferrari spec not the Porsche, but I'm certain it was the exact same as before. It was like little ribbon slices on the top outer edge.
Are these stock 20" wheels?
Old 12-05-2014, 10:13 AM   #6
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
With the car sitting level on the ground, measure the distance to the top of the wheel opening on both sides. Are they the same?

You could put the car on a lift (lift it by the chassis) to raise it off the ground, then use a tall jack stand under the front tire to lift it up while looking to see where it makes contact.
Try it with both sides to compare.
If they replaced the fender, any chance there is a inner lip of the new fender that's contacting the tire?

BTW, I have the Ferrari spec PSS 295's on the front with no rubbing at all.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 02:37 PM   #7
Faster12

The difference was like a millimeter. The thing is its not rubbing. Its making contact only under certain conditions. I'll drive the car and after a good 30 min drive I notice the small slice about 2 inches in length and no wider than a pin. The fender has been replaced, repositioned, smoothed, rolled. It doesn't matter. I just picked it up today and before I left the shop it looked like it sliced the new tire. I'm gonna drive it a few days and see what happens this time.
Old 12-06-2014, 07:43 AM   #8
mmarx82

Drives: '12 ZL1 #1609
If I was you I'd hook a GoPro up on the outside of the car and see if you can 1. determine the conditions the slicing occurs in and 2. where exactly the slicing is occurring.

Figuring out where it's slicing will help determine which way the suspension needs to be adjusted or help with identifying the part that is causing it to be out of place in the first place.

I am envisioning a couple things here. Spring or absorber damage in that the impact of the deer caused your car to do some bouncing around that it would not normally do. Thus making it less stiff. If the slicing occurs at the top of the tire that's what I would investigate anyways. If it occurs at the front of the fenderwell then I would look for parts of the suspension that are slightly bent toward the front of the car and obviously the reverse of that if it occurs at the rear of the fenderwell. And whether or not you are able to find when/how the slicing occurs use a straight edge and tape measure to determine what parts if any are slightly bent by comparing them to the other side of the car. Measure distances between points, take your straight edge and measure distance from the center of the straight edge to the part.

Also, with the rim off see if there is any extra play in the rotor compared to the other side and also look for any possible missing/bent bolts for the suspension.
Old 12-06-2014, 09:21 AM   #9
jon6.0
Going for Plaid

Drives: 2011 C6
I was wondering if they replaced all the bushings on that side? What looks fine stationary might be deflecting too much when the suspension cycles while going down the road.

Serviced and modded by Cordes Performance.

2011 C6, 750rwhp, forged LS3, ported LSA heads, Vortech Ti-trim, 227/243 115+4 Lunati cam, ported LS3 intake, Alky Control methanol, Pfadt sways/shocks/trans mounts, Pfadt tri-y headers(Sold 6/28/14)
jon6.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 09:33 AM   #10
Firehawk178
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS Victory Red
I'd feel around in the wheel well to determine what's making the slice. Screw poking out, bent out part of the fender, etc. Something may have gotten bent or a screw pushed through, etc. along the path of travel.

That happened to my son's 35" tires. Just a little point of metal.
Firehawk178 is offline   Reply With Quote