Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 12-07-2012, 10:41 PM   #29
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
The OE GYs are a GM spec tire. The sidewalls on the OE GYs are quite stiff. That works well with a car the heft of a 5th Gen. The design of the PS2 is very different. The side wall is much softer. The tire sidewall is designed to roll to keep the tread flat. Some drivers find the PS sidewall to be a bit numb while others love it. We run the PS2s on one of our OUSCI Camaros and GY GM spec tires on the other. We eat the shoulders off the PS2s and the tread off the GYs. We get three weekends of use out of them and they are done.

That is secondary to the fitment. Go directly to the tire MFGs website and drill down to get the specified rim width for a given tire size. If your rim is too narrow by the MFG specification do NOT put that tire on the rim. I don't care how many people you see on this forum or any other forum doing it, it is dangerous and may be hazardous to your well being or others. Remember your mom asking you if everyone else jumped off a bridge...

Tire Description with Size: http://www.michelinman.com/tire-sele...2/tire-details

Click on Prices and Specs: http://www.michelinman.com/tire-sele...techspec_table

The minimum rim width is 10" and Max is 12"

For a 315/35/20 it is 10.5 and 12.5

The ZL1 has an 11" rear rim width.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:43 AM   #30
Faster12

Drives: 2012 Black ZL1 #1158
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/c ss View Post
This question would probably be best posted to one of the tire companies.
s/c ss...you do realize that this thread is like two months old right??? Also, I posed the question for auto enthusiasts to respond. I wanted to hear from people who own ZL1s and have tried other tires on their cars. Clearly the conversation has progressed past what tires to choose. I got em so now we are just talking about them. Shoulda tried to clown just a little bit sooner buddy.
Faster12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:49 AM   #31
jsd

Drives: 2012 ZL 1 #370
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
The OE GYs are a GM spec tire. The sidewalls on the OE GYs are quite stiff. That works well with a car the heft of a 5th Gen. The design of the PS2 is very different. The side wall is much softer. The tire sidewall is designed to roll to keep the tread flat. Some drivers find the PS sidewall to be a bit numb while others love it. We run the PS2s on one of our OUSCI Camaros and GY GM spec tires on the other. We eat the shoulders off the PS2s and the tread off the GYs. We get three weekends of use out of them and they are done.

That is secondary to the fitment. Go directly to the tire MFGs website and drill down to get the specified rim width for a given tire size. If your rim is too narrow by the MFG specification do NOT put that tire on the rim. I don't care how many people you see on this forum or any other forum doing it, it is dangerous and may be hazardous to your well being or others. Remember your mom asking you if everyone else jumped off a bridge...

Tire Description with Size: http://www.michelinman.com/tire-sele...2/tire-details

Click on Prices and Specs: http://www.michelinman.com/tire-sele...techspec_table

The ZL1 has an 11" rear rim width
what you will say with this?

can we use the 315 on the 11" rim without risk or better take the original size?

i need next year new tires, and in switzerland goodyear dont sale the 305. then i look for realy good alternative, to dont loose grip and security.
jsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:28 AM   #32
DanSS24

Drives: Dream Cars in my head
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsd View Post
what you will say with this?

can we use the 315 on the 11" rim without risk or better take the original size?

i need next year new tires, and in switzerland goodyear dont sale the 305. then i look for realy good alternative, to dont loose grip and security.
The 315's will fit the 11" rim, no problem. It will have a little bulge, just enough to protect the lip of the rim. I remember using the GY's GS-D3 tires in 315/35/17's for my Camaro SS. Great tire but pricey, but I kept on buying them because of the performance I got versus the Pilot Sport tires. It really help when chasing stolen cars and speeders.

Wishful thinking...but I sure can dream big.
DanSS24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:26 PM   #33
zl1bro

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6 SIM AGM mono stripe
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post

The ZL1 has an 11" rear rim width.
So on the track which tire performs best? Is the Michelin worth the extra expense in terms of on track performance?
zl1bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:15 PM   #34
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by zl1bro View Post
So on the track which tire performs best? Is the Michelin worth the extra expense in terms of on track performance?
That is driver dependent. Danny Popp is a unique driver. He is very very very good. He drives past the edge in every corner. Most drivers will toy with the edge. Danny lives on it. If I tried to drive like Danny, I'd be dead. He is amazing. Danny is faster on the GYs. Everyone else we have had behind the wheel of our Camaros has been faster on the PS2s.

BTW, we are talking fractions of a second faster. Both are good tires.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote