#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 06-14-2021, 01:06 PM   #29
CW3SF

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
Do you realize that using ethanol doesn't make your supercharger run cooler? Methanol can. Ethanol does reduce cylinder temps though which is a nice benefit. You are correct that you don't need a 2650 to achieve your goals and I don't think anyone stated otherwise. I do think you'll need a slightly more aggressive pulley setup but I'd love for you to prove me wrong on that.
Yes I’m very aware of the effects of running ethanol. My car is tuned for e70 and is near my goal of 700whp. I think the standard Kong porting will get me over the finish line. Was just curious if anyone had spent the extra coin for the stage X porting on a FBO car and they had any feedback on it.
Kong Stage X Port, NW103, LPE HPFP, XDI +30 Injectors, ARH Headers, Flex Fuel, JMS Booster, AWE Touring, Elite E2-X CC. Stock heads, stock cam, stock pulleys: Tuned by KingLT1. 740whp Uncorrected on e50
CW3SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 02:12 PM   #30
PROMETHEUS

Drives: 2019 ZL-1, Shadow Gray, Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro1973 View Post
Lol bud, now your just being silly. If you or people want to get their stock blower ported then do be it. However this is a forum and people will debate and state their opinions. Calling people stupid for making a general factual statement is childish.

My post along with others was a simple general statement. You asked about the new kong port and people gave their opinions which apparently you don’t seem to like.

My post was referring to the simple fact to get the high amount of power they are are advertising (efficiently) your going to end up spending a lot of money on extra mods to keep the blower cool. Plus you never listed your goals or what you plan on doing to begin with.

Porting the blower improves air efficiency? More/better air...more power. Would this result in spinning the blower faster? I was under the impression only changing the pullies results in the blower spinning faster and causing the heat soak issues.
PROMETHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 02:18 PM   #31
Sysopz

Drives: 2018 ZLE M6, '15 CLS 63s AMG
I'm going with "Kong stage X port" and Nick Williams 103mm and holding off on cam until next year, then I'm done.....I hope
Old 06-14-2021, 02:31 PM   #32
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROMETHEUS View Post
Porting the blower improves air efficiency? More/better air...more power. Would this result in spinning the blower faster? I was under the impression only changing the pullies results in the blower spinning faster and causing the heat soak issues.
The blower won't spin faster unless you spin the engine faster, or change the pullies (increase the lower or decrease the upper) or all of the above. If you were being sarcastic, my apologies.

It seems like Kong has found more material to remove and or reshape what's already there, or both and more. Maybe they're getting into the discharge port or something, too (I hear that has a good influence on flow). It was hard to tell in one of RPM's videos, because they weren't allowed to show what's new, but I wonder if they opened-up the rotor-front bearing support some more. Who knows at this point.

There's not much they can do for the IC system though, which is something I took into consideration. These things will start pulling timing after the first dyno pull. It should be less with an improved port job, but that blower's still spinning at something like 20K RPMs if I recall - stock.

It will be interesting to see what are some more results as these start getting on people's cars though. If CARB-exemption falls through for some reason, this will be something I get a look into.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 05:39 PM   #33
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
The blower won't spin faster unless you spin the engine faster, or change the pullies (increase the lower or decrease the upper) or all of the above. If you were being sarcastic, my apologies.

It seems like Kong has found more material to remove and or reshape what's already there, or both and more. Maybe they're getting into the discharge port or something, too (I hear that has a good influence on flow). It was hard to tell in one of RPM's videos, because they weren't allowed to show what's new, but I wonder if they opened-up the rotor-front bearing support some more. Who knows at this point.

There's not much they can do for the IC system though, which is something I took into consideration. These things will start pulling timing after the first dyno pull. It should be less with an improved port job, but that blower's still spinning at something like 20K RPMs if I recall - stock.

It will be interesting to see what are some more results as these start getting on people's cars though. If CARB-exemption falls through for some reason, this will be something I get a look into.
Custom bricks with a taller lid or spacer might be the only thing to improve upon for the IC system, more volume for the system, and a chiller. But then your up there money.

But you would have bragging rights for stock power record lol

You could also do these mods with porting and no pulley swap or a slight one and still keep the system cool..

Have you seen the custom LSA lid with custom brick inside.
Attached Images

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 07:58 AM   #34
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDFHOBBIES View Post
Custom bricks with a taller lid or spacer might be the only thing to improve upon for the IC system, more volume for the system, and a chiller. But then your up there money.

But you would have bragging rights for stock power record lol

You could also do these mods with porting and no pulley swap or a slight one and still keep the system cool..

Have you seen the custom LSA lid with custom brick inside.
Chiller's a good idea. I forget about that one. Agreed on the rest. What I wonder if the new porting will improve on cars that aren't pretty much max effort. Maybe a new upper, but stock lower, but otherwise stock, like someone like me would need to be. I'd like to be wrong, but I'm not sure you can get the same stock-appearing results.

I need to get that lid!!! HAHAHA!!! If I only had and LSA...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 06-16-2021, 08:09 AM   #35
Choda

Drives: Turbo 6.2
I agree w who ever said its a cool claim to fame but doesnt make a lot of sense in the end goal. for the time, mods and power .... I dont see this competing with a larger blower.
Old 06-16-2021, 09:38 AM   #36
CW3SF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choda View Post
I agree w who ever said its a cool claim to fame but doesnt make a lot of sense in the end goal. for the time, mods and power .... I dont see this competing with a larger blower.
I don’t think anyone expects porting to compete with a larger blower. You’ll spend over twice as much going to the larger blower. You’ll still need headers, larger TB, CAI, heat exchanger and tuning with the larger blower. So the only differences in costs are the flex fuel kit and porting. That’s WAY less than a 2650. And it will run cool and make ~700whp.
Kong Stage X Port, NW103, LPE HPFP, XDI +30 Injectors, ARH Headers, Flex Fuel, JMS Booster, AWE Touring, Elite E2-X CC. Stock heads, stock cam, stock pulleys: Tuned by KingLT1. 740whp Uncorrected on e50
Old 06-16-2021, 10:11 AM   #37
radz28
Petro-sexual

My "logic" is wondering if the stock cam/pulleys will take much advantage of more airflow enough that this would make a difference, given the same boost. If you aren't changing pulleys, and just porting, I know you'll get more power, but will you get much more out of this additional porting? Will you at least get all of it without a cam/pulleys? I'm not sure - but I know I could very well be wrong, too. Is there enough of an airflow demand from the stock combination to take advantage of this porting?

I'm not trying to change anyone's mind, but I'll just add that's why the discussion goes to a bigger blower a lot (at least for me). Any of the PD blowers are going to add boost, which it seems you aren't trying to do (and, of course, that's fine). But - my point is they add boost, AND power (because of the demand from the bigger rotors and such), without getting as hot as the 1740. Will your set-up require such a demand to make the extra porting effective as it would on a max effort build?

I'm not sure for the set-up you're looking for (at least to my understanding) will get you to the number you want, but I AM hoping it does and will be happy for you.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 06-16-2021, 10:20 AM   #38
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CW3SF View Post
I don’t think anyone expects porting to compete with a larger blower. You’ll spend over twice as much going to the larger blower. You’ll still need headers, larger TB, CAI, heat exchanger and tuning with the larger blower. So the only differences in costs are the flex fuel kit and porting. That’s WAY less than a 2650. And it will run cool and make ~700whp.
Understood, but I think most people try to think forward. Its not often that people do some upgrades and then be done with it forever. Eventually most people want more and that's always where the debate starts with porting the stock blower vs biting the bullet and upgrading to a Maggie. If you're 100% certain you'll never upgrade again or desire any more power, then by all means stick with the ported stock blower if it meets your goals, you won't get any argument from me there. I'm running a ported stock blower myself because I'm satisfied with the power level I'm at, 700whp.
Z OH 6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 11:01 AM   #39
CW3SF

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
My "logic" is wondering if the stock cam/pulleys will take much advantage of more airflow enough that this would make a difference, given the same boost. If you aren't changing pulleys, and just porting, I know you'll get more power, but will you get much more out of this additional porting? Will you at least get all of it without a cam/pulleys? I'm not sure - but I know I could very well be wrong, too. Is there enough of an airflow demand from the stock combination to take advantage of this porting?

I'm not trying to change anyone's mind, but I'll just add that's why the discussion goes to a bigger blower a lot (at least for me). Any of the PD blowers are going to add boost, which it seems you aren't trying to do (and, of course, that's fine). But - my point is they add boost, AND power (because of the demand from the bigger rotors and such), without getting as hot as the 1740. Will your set-up require such a demand to make the extra porting effective as it would on a max effort build?

I'm not sure for the set-up you're looking for (at least to my understanding) will get you to the number you want, but I AM hoping it does and will be happy for you.
I think it will get there or will be very close. I’m at ~6000 ft altitude and already over 650whp without the ported blower. At more “normal” altitude I should be knocking on 700 now. I also still have fuel pump and injector headroom.

Quote:
Understood, but I think most people try to think forward. Its not often that people do some upgrades and then be done with it forever. Eventually most people want more and that's always where the debate starts with porting the stock blower vs biting the bullet and upgrading to a Maggie. If you're 100% certain you'll never upgrade again or desire any more power, then by all means stick with the ported stock blower if it meets your goals, you won't get any argument from me there. I'm running a ported stock blower myself because I'm satisfied with the power level I'm at, 700whp.
I agree. Give me 700whp and a cooler running set up and I’ll be good to go.

IF I ever did decide to step up to a 2650 all of my current mods will be usable and prepaid. And I have no doubt I could recoup most if not all of my porting costs.
Old 06-26-2021, 12:06 PM   #40
AZIROC

Drives: '86 IROC-Z '18 ZL1
I'll be curious on how these stage x ports do. I'm looking to get mine ported but now debating on a stage x. Only issue i see is I don't really plan on going "all out" with this camaro. Ported blower / 103tb / big gulp / full exhaust and either an upper or lower pulley and thats about it.
AZIROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 12:18 PM   #41
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZIROC View Post
I'll be curious on how these stage x ports do. I'm looking to get mine ported but now debating on a stage x. Only issue i see is I don't really plan on going "all out" with this camaro. Ported blower / 103tb / big gulp / full exhaust and either an upper or lower pulley and thats about it.
The stage X is meant for a max effort OEM blower build with high boost.
Z OH 6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 04:04 PM   #42
AZIROC

Drives: '86 IROC-Z '18 ZL1
Quote:
The stage X is meant for a max effort OEM blower build with high boost.

And thats where I'm planning on just passing on it. I've seen a few posts on here and some FB groups where they r getting stage-x porting but pretty light mods. Wanna see what dyno #s it does vs regular porting.
AZIROC is offline   Reply With Quote