Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 11-23-2020, 11:36 AM   #1
Smoke-in

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
LT1 Two step throttle’s

I have a 2018 SS 1LE with the M6 trans, that I occasionally Drag Race. I would like to install a two step throttle just so I have consistent launches. My question is, has anyone had good luck with the MSD unit? And anyone have experience with the Lingenfelter unit. Lingenfelter costs more, but it may be worth it due to an adjustable timing feature. Thoughts anyone?
Smoke-in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 08:50 AM   #2
Smoke-in

Been reading some on line reviews of the Lingenfelter and found some posted reliability issues. Taking cost out of the equation, the Lingenfelter has the adjustable timing retard feature which could be helpful. Would love to hear from anyone running either MSD or Lingenfelter.
Old 12-05-2020, 09:19 AM   #3
BlackbeastSS2

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE Shock Candy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke-in View Post
Been reading some on line reviews of the Lingenfelter and found some posted reliability issues. Taking cost out of the equation, the Lingenfelter has the adjustable timing retard feature which could be helpful. Would love to hear from anyone running either MSD or Lingenfelter.
I ran the 2014 LNC on my 2016 SS A8 with nitrous. If your not running NOS then this the wrong chose for you. There are cheaper 2 steps and really this is not a true 2 step in regards to the 2014 LNC. M6 you bring up your revs with clutch in and u decide when you want to dump the clutch. It’s basically the same thing with a 2 step, u still have to release the clutch no matter what you set on the 2 step. Manuals do run a two step but I am sure they change their clutches a lot more. I use a line lock in the burn out to save my rear brakes, I would advise you to get that for a M6 plus some DR’s for rear.

I guess your probably talking about a different model number then me. I am talking about the 2014 LNC because the retard function was mentioned above previously. There are ones that don’t have the retard function but I never used that model.
Diamond Piston & Manley Rods, Roto Fab Big Gulp
BTR Push Rods,LS7 Lifters, ARP, FI Chiller, Kirkey Seats
SJM Line Lock, Hurst Pistol Grip. 747/739 RWHP street tune - 821/794 RWHP track tune 98 octane.
2014 Mini Cooper countryman S All4 M6 daily driver

Last edited by BlackbeastSS2; 12-05-2020 at 05:22 PM.
BlackbeastSS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 09:54 PM   #4
Smoke-in

Black beast, yes the Lingenfelter I’m talking about is LNC 2014, with the timing retard. I have a 1LE, so I got the M6 and need to pin the RPMs at line. So I’ll hook it up to the clutch.
I’m running a NA motor with the typical bolt one’s, putting down about 550 whp. I can tell you from experience the factory half shafts will go before the clutch!! What I’d like to know is why do you feel the Lingenfelter is better if you go NOS??? I’ll go with the bottle before I go boost. And even that would be down the road if I get board with my current set up. Thoughts?
Old 12-06-2020, 02:30 AM   #5
BlackbeastSS2

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE Shock Candy
Quote:
Black beast, yes the Lingenfelter I’m talking about is LNC 2014, with the timing retard. I have a 1LE, so I got the M6 and need to pin the RPMs at line. So I’ll hook it up to the clutch.
I’m running a NA motor with the typical bolt one’s, putting down about 550 whp. I can tell you from experience the factory half shafts will go before the clutch!! What I’d like to know is why do you feel the Lingenfelter is better if you go NOS??? I’ll go with the bottle before I go boost. And even that would be down the road if I get board with my current set up. Thoughts?
From LNC 2014 instructions install.
“Please note - although launch controllers like the LNC-2014 are often referred to as 2-step controllers, they are not true 2-step controllers. A true 2-step controller, such as the LNC-003, has a high and a low RPM limit function with a switch of some type enabling one setting or the other. The LNC-2014 only has one RPM limit setting so if you are using the LNC-2014 as a launch control RPM limiter, you will need to use the factory ECM as the engine maximum RPM limiter (engine speed governor).”

You shouldn’t run this with cats because you can and will burn them out pretty quick. The LNC 2014 uses spark control not fuel control like some other 2 steps, a lot of fuel will be dumped into exhaust and risk of fuel backfire is greater.

Just read the info and instructions.
https://www.lingenfelter.com/PDFdown...L460306914.pdf

I am not telling u it’s not a good product or maybe it’s exactly what u want. Just giving u my own opinion. The retard feature is designed for nitrous and that’s a big part of the design of the LNC 2014 and cost. LNC makes more stuff for LS motors and their products are limited for the GEN V LT1.

For a great launch get the line lock and tie in the 2 step into the clutch release with a release button. I think you would be happy with that set up.

MSD or Holley is almost half the price of LNC. If your not going NOS why waste your money or if money is no object then do as you please.
Diamond Piston & Manley Rods, Roto Fab Big Gulp
BTR Push Rods,LS7 Lifters, ARP, FI Chiller, Kirkey Seats
SJM Line Lock, Hurst Pistol Grip. 747/739 RWHP street tune - 821/794 RWHP track tune 98 octane.
2014 Mini Cooper countryman S All4 M6 daily driver

Last edited by BlackbeastSS2; 12-06-2020 at 02:56 AM.
BlackbeastSS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 10:13 AM   #6
Smoke-in

Thanks for your comments Blackbeast. I think your right about the LNC not being a true 2 step. It would hold the rpm on the line, but I would rely on the ECM to limit rpm in an over rev condition. Missed gear etc.. Do you know why they adjust spark advance differently, or retard timing differently with NOS?? And I wonder if it is just momentarily off the line, or just when the juice kicks in? Guess a good tuner would have some clues there!,
Old 12-18-2020, 01:19 PM   #7
MrNoosNoos

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
I’m running a NA motor with the typical bolt one’s, putting down about 550 whp.
What typical bolt-ons are you running to get 550 whp? Have you switched out your half-shafts already?
MrNoosNoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 03:32 PM   #8
Choda

Drives: Turbo 6.2
I have an a8 but use msd

Old 12-22-2020, 01:06 PM   #9
Smoke-in

Mr NoosNoos
Heads, cam, intake, TB, exhaust, and yes I replaced my half shafts with DSS units.
Old 12-26-2020, 09:33 PM   #10
MrNoosNoos

Quote:
Mr NoosNoos
Heads, cam, intake, TB, exhaust, and yes I replaced my half shafts with DSS units.
Damn really not looking forward to replacing those. Whopping 1600 bucks! What kind of heads/cam set up you running?
Old 12-27-2020, 04:15 PM   #11
Smoke-in

Noosnoos
Texas Speed head and cam package. Seems to be one of the best options out there. AFM delete, and MSD intake. Also Kooks headers with AWE track exhaust. No cat’s, very loud, but nice!!!
Old 12-27-2020, 09:35 PM   #12
MrNoosNoos

Quote:
Noosnoos
Texas Speed head and cam package. Seems to be one of the best options out there. AFM delete, and MSD intake. Also Kooks headers with AWE track exhaust. No cat’s, very loud, but nice!!!
Very nice set up! That seems to be one everyone recommends as well. I should be going MAST heads with TSP cam and ported msd.