Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-01-2020, 01:29 AM   #29
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeman View Post
Since you already drive a Civic, I'd get the si.
It's got vtec yo!
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 03:02 PM   #30
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
I've daily driven Hondas & Acuras for 20 years. Pros for them, Peppy if driven hard, good mileage, quite a bit of interior room for a smallish car. Cons - you will get Fart Can jokes, high theft rate.

Camaro, well you really can't compare the two. Pros - power, prestige of brand, plenty of good aftermarket. Cons - tiny interiors, high theft rate
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 03:21 PM   #31
'10CamaroDude
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
The Honda still has the better mechanical aspect. No one should buy a car that
has a design flaw from the start. Referencing the 2010-2011 V6s... How is it that
Japan and Germany can get things right, but domestic car companies keep making cars
that have so many more design flaws, STATISTICALLY... German cars just have
bad electrical components and connectors.

I had a 2013 VW TDI, that never needed a thing, mechanically. 243,000 miles on
that car, and not even a wheel bearing. I've put $2000 into my Camaro already, on
top of the $1700 the dealer said THEY put into it. Had I known the VW dealer was
lying to me, I would have kept that TDI, rather then let VW buy it back. Then every
single VW Jetta after that, needed front wheel bearings, repeatedly. I went with
a domestic car, for no more special tools and parts. So, rather than that, the
money went to repairs instead... So, I lost no matter what. I could have bought a
lower mile LT for the $4000 on top of the $7000 for the car. The only good side, is
it's from the south, and has no rust under it. Well, in SE PA now, so that's over...

I just get better results with foreign cars. So, when this Camaro is done, it's back
to foreign.
'10CamaroDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 04:32 PM   #32
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
One thing I have to say that's bad about Honda, their manual trans in newer cars is mediocre at best. I tried the manual trans of a 10th Gen Civic Si and it just doesn't compare to a Golf and an Elantra I have tried. It just felt like stirring a pot of wet noodles versus the more precise feel in the Golf and Elantra.

I dunno how the V6 Camaro manual trans feels, but I would be surprised if they feel worse than the Civic's.

Sent from toaster or something

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 06:09 PM   #33
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by '10CamaroDude View Post
The Honda still has the better mechanical aspect. No one should buy a car that
has a design flaw from the start. Referencing the 2010-2011 V6s... How is it that
Japan and Germany can get things right, but domestic car companies keep making cars
that have so many more design flaws, STATISTICALLY... German cars just have
bad electrical components and connectors.
I would be leary of buying anything German that is no longer under warranty. It's tempting due to the huge depreciation curve, but parts and labor would bankrupt you.
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 07:24 PM   #34
'10CamaroDude
Account Suspended

Parts and labor wasn't an issue, doing it myself. It was the reoccurring problem
with wheel bearings. I did not have any problems with that 2013 Jetta TDI, with the
DSG trans. NONE! That probably would have lasted a million miles had VW not
bought it back. The VW dealer said they were unfixable, and would be illegal to
drive on public roads. So, they put me in a 2015, TSi, and took the diesel back.
I just kept replacing front wheel bearings on it... They're not as easy as the
Camaro, tell you that, but I still did it.

I had a '69 BMW 2002, that took a beating, but it kept on going.

German engineering was always ahead of its time. Now, time has simply caught
up...
Old 06-01-2020, 07:28 PM   #35
Turbo_J89

Drives: 2015 BVM Camaro 1LE (2SS/RS)
I've owned both Civic SI's and Camaro's. If I could do it all again, I wouldn't waste my time with a low torque high rev fwd SI. The Camaro is so much more powerful it's not even comparable. Also, wheel hop is your enemy in the SI so your ability to mod with purpose is limited.

Last edited by Turbo_J89; 06-01-2020 at 08:04 PM.
Turbo_J89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:35 PM   #36
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by '10CamaroDude View Post
Parts and labor wasn't an issue, doing it myself. It was the reoccurring problem
with wheel bearings. I did not have any problems with that 2013 Jetta TDI, with the
DSG trans. NONE! That probably would have lasted a million miles had VW not
bought it back. The VW dealer said they were unfixable, and would be illegal to
drive on public roads. So, they put me in a 2015, TSi, and took the diesel back.
I just kept replacing front wheel bearings on it... They're not as easy as the
Camaro, tell you that, but I still did it.

I had a '69 BMW 2002, that took a beating, but it kept on going.

German engineering was always ahead of its time. Now, time has simply caught
up...
Uh, labour is not an issue if you DIY, but part will be unless you make your own parts...

And that's the thing, even if you get a Porsche, which is decently reliable as long as you don't get any models with the infamous IMS, the parts will cost a fortune compared to American cars and Japanese family cars.

Old BMWs are NOT indictive of what modern BMWs are. Seriously, if you have to do a new BMW, lease, DON'T buy. Modern BMWs are definitely not made to the same quality as the old ones.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:36 PM   #37
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by terry_b View Post
In the bike world, the saying goes "riding a slow bike fast is better than riding a fast bike slow". It's totally true and definitely applies here.

Sometimes I enjoy my fiancée's 300 more than my MT07. It's like riding a bicycle in comparison. It's not very fast, but I can just flick it around so easy!

My 1LE is so overpowered for the street, and I literally have to hold back. I set the speed alarm at 80 mph and literally every onramp the car's yelling at me before I know it.

That being said... I wouldn't give it up for a brand new economy car, let alone trade in for a used anything.

Civic is definitely more practical. More fun is going to be a relative feeling.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
The problem with the theory is that driving a slow anything fast only gives the illusion of being more "fun". What it actually is, is more deadly. Not to mention that the thing will become a repair pit P.O.S. in no time flat.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 04:23 AM   #38
'10CamaroDude
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
Uh, labour is not an issue if you DIY, but part will be unless you make your own parts...

And that's the thing, even if you get a Porsche, which is decently reliable as long as you don't get any models with the infamous IMS, the parts will cost a fortune compared to American cars and Japanese family cars.

Old BMWs are NOT indictive of what modern BMWs are. Seriously, if you have to do a new BMW, lease, DON'T buy. Modern BMWs are definitely not made to the same quality as the old ones.

For you maybe, not with corporate accounts with NAPA, Advance,
VW Dealer, and so forth. I work in a shop a one or two days a week,
I never pay RETAIL for my parts, EVER.

The FAG or SKF Wheel Bearings for the Camaro are TWICE as much as the
ones as the MOOG ones for the VW. They retail for $291, I get them for $145.
I put MOOG on my Mustang too...
Old 06-02-2020, 05:12 AM   #39
fhrex

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS
I have nothing negative to say about Hondas. I've never owned one, and probably never will. My 2011 2LT has been my daily driver for five years now, has 101K miles, and the only thing (besides maintenance) I've had to do is 1 coil, a water pump, and coolant outlet seals. This car has been exceptional!
Old 06-02-2020, 10:21 PM   #40
'10CamaroDude
Account Suspended

Coil#3 for me was replaced...
Old 06-02-2020, 11:00 PM   #41
Black 6.2L SS

Drives: 2014 1SS/RS, LS3, NPP
Civic = front wheel drive. Overburdened front wheels with NO ability to ever kick the rear end out, no matter how many mods you throw at it.

Camaro = rear wheel drive with balance and tail sliding fun when desired.

I could go on with more comparisons but the dedicated drive wheels should be so important to any enthusiast that I don’t feel the need...
Rear wheel drive is the reason the old Nissan 240SX platform is so desired among the “drifting” crowd.
Save more and buy an SS.
Black 6.2L SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 01:00 PM   #42
Panda1LE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS 1LE (6spd)
I probably have a different opinion than most but remember you are on a Camaro forum asking this question. If you go to the Civic forums you will get the exact same response, except reversed. I happen to love both domestics and imports. I even have an NA 93 Miata and my wife drives a 17 Accord Sport. My take is: If it is at all a toss up between a V6 Camaro or the Si, I am def. going with the Honda. The SS was pretty much the ONLY Camaro I was considering personally. The V6 did not interest me at all and the ZL1 was out of reach (3 kids will do that). I have owned an 03 RSX Type S, a 350 Z, a bugeye WRX and more. The Si is comparable to my RSX Type S. It is fun to drive, has some nice upgrades versus a plain Civic and the reliability is there. Sure the RWD vs. FWD is there but you can still have fun with either of them. There are tons of companies backing both and aftermarket parts are extremely available. I love the Si and the SS but I just missed the sound of the V8 and I absolutely love the looks of the 5th Gen. I say if you want fun and bit better reliability, interior space go with the Civic. If you want power, ability to throw the rear end out, big boy looks (I personally think the Civic has a young person driver look, I am 36) and the sound go with the Camaro. Remember, you will most likely need to replace the blend door and pay more for bigger tires! I am hoping to get a Civic Sport as my daily commuter myself since I work 80 miles from home.

CAI intake, Stainless Power LTH, SCT X4, NPP exhaust
Panda1LE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camaro, civicsi