Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-10-2019, 12:51 PM   #43
grammy

Drives: 2016 SSupercharged, 2012 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 15RS2NV View Post
So, the real question here is "how do we get our hands on the machined shifter piece." I understand I can get the boot at the dealer, and I can order a knob for one, but i'm interested in getting the middle part to get rid of the stock leather shifter knob.
That was my main goal as well, the stock shifter is just not appealing and you get to choose a knob that appeals to you.

I would contact Michael (awsm66) directly. I exchanged a few texts with him a couple of weeks ago and I think (confirm w/ him) if there is enough interests he may make a few more.

If he's willing to fabricate some more, trust me you won't be disappointed. It was a breeze to install with minimal hand tools. Dude is super detailed and an all around good guy.
Old 04-10-2019, 02:38 PM   #44
champwynn

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS 2002 Camaro SS
cool!
champwynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 05:07 PM   #45
awsm66

Drives: Victory Red 2011 2SS
Looks great grammy. The color definitely looks great with the exterior.
awsm66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 05:46 PM   #46
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by awsm66 View Post
I saw Elvis66 posted a White Madness shifter a week or so ago and decided I would order one. I already had a manual shifter boot in the car but was using the stock shifter.

I put the White Madness shifter in and while it is a great design and well thought out and great finish, I wasn't happy with how it looked with the manual shift boot.

I was going to make an adapter for the boot but then decided to just make my own shifter instead.

I took some 2.5" solid AL stock I had and started turning it down until I had my desired shape. Then I figured out the actual length and cut it to size. Then I hollowed it out and tested it to make sure it worked like I wanted it to. Next step was to machine a piece of delrin as a bushing to the metal on the shifter so I wouldn't have metal to metal rubbing. I threaded it for a 12x1.25 because I couldn't find a CF ball I liked in the 12x1.75 thread. Lastly I milled a slot in it and turned down a screw to hold it all in.

I am not quite finished but far enough along to share what I have. I will be ceracoating the screw head with "micro slick dry film coating" to help with any seizing but I don't think it will be a problem if I didn't...I just would rather do it just in case.

I am NOT a professional machinist, and I wouldn't even say I am a hobby machinist...I am more of a "I got a good deal on some big machines from a friend and I like to play and use them some" machinist LOL. I used to use them a good bit to make collectible lightsaber hilt parts and even entire hilts but I haven't used them in quite a while so it was fun to use them again.

The shifter ball I ordered will hopefully be in on Thursday or Friday and I will update the post when I have that pic. Until then here are some progress pics.

OK all the images are rotated...sorry about that but I do not know how to fix it.

Truly great work and workmanship Now if you could make a dummy clutch pedal and patent them together you'd make a fortune LOL
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 09:34 PM   #47
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
awsm66 does fantastic work and was an absolute joy to work with. He is the real deal.

Mine:
Attached Images

2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 09:41 PM   #48
grammy

Drives: 2016 SSupercharged, 2012 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by awsm66 View Post
Looks great grammy. The color definitely looks great with the exterior.

Thanks man, I’m couldn’t be more pleased with the shifter! Once again, I appreciate the attention to detail!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-11-2019, 08:38 AM   #49
awsm66

Drives: Victory Red 2011 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
Truly great work and workmanship Now if you could make a dummy clutch pedal and patent them together you'd make a fortune LOL

Thanks, LOL maybe I should do that but honestly while true it looks like a manual shifter, I didnt really set out to make it look like I had a manual car. I just hated the way the stock shifter looked and this looks so much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
awsm66 does fantastic work and was an absolute joy to work with. He is the real deal.

Mine:
Quote:
Originally Posted by grammy View Post
Thanks man, I’m couldn’t be more pleased with the shifter! Once again, I appreciate the attention to detail!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the kind words.
awsm66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 10:23 AM   #50
mr_honez
Wifey Lover

Drives: 2013 Crystal Red 2LT/RS
Subbed