Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Member Car Journals

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-27-2020, 02:16 PM   #253
Tim M

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
SSDan: Disappointing to hear, but glad you located it. I've found a few valve seal 'springs' in my oil drains before (again self inflicted!)...different car though.

Boost Creep: yup...newbie mistake. I used to change valve springs annually on my 7200 rpm LT4 (Gen II motor). Cheap insurance for the beautiful rev music it made on the GM 847 cam.

Weather is nice so the car sits in the garage as it is while I wheel my mountain bike down the trails of Stuttgart - 23 miles daily!

Last edited by Tim M; 08-08-2020 at 09:53 AM.
Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 03:45 PM   #254
Tim M

Gave it the college try and pulled a number of underbody panels and covers...no luck. Part should be here this week...

Old 07-31-2020, 03:46 PM   #255
Tim M

Cool orange plugs...

Courtesy of octane booster. No issues with operation...just looks a bit nasty.
Old 08-08-2020, 09:52 AM   #256
Tim M

The lock shipment is going on three weeks. So dislike having an inoperative car...I reused a set of the OEM locks and reassembled the car. I did this on an exhaust valve so the .050 increase in installed height (BTR locks are .050 reduced height) results in a bit less spring pressure...still more than OEM. The intakes are the main concern.

Did a quick loop to warm the oil, drove like OEM. Back for an oil change.

Friday I'm scheduled for an alignment - going to attempt the strut mod to gain another ~.4 negative camber up front. That evening is a trip to Nurburg...weather is always a concern.

Last edited by Tim M; 08-08-2020 at 10:41 AM.
Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 02:44 PM   #257
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
The lock shipment is going on three weeks. So dislike having an inoperative car...I reused a set of the OEM locks and reassembled the car. I did this on an exhaust valve so the .050 increase in installed height (BTR locks are .050 reduced height) results in a bit less spring pressure...still more than OEM. The intakes are the main concern.

Did a quick loop to warm the oil, drove like OEM. Back for an oil change.

Friday I'm scheduled for an alignment - going to attempt the strut mod to gain another ~.4 negative camber up front. That evening is a trip to Nurburg...weather is always a concern.

lol
Lock will show up first thing Monday morning.

Old 08-12-2020, 03:03 PM   #258
Tim M

Boost Creep: Wednesday was the day of arrival. No worries. Likely won't even install at this point. Winter will likely plan head removal.
Old 08-14-2020, 03:45 PM   #259
Tim M

Took the Camaro in for an alignment check...was supposed to gain negative camber up front with a strut mod, but failed to arrange the proper tools in a timely manner. Nonetheless, 8500 miles since last visit - car specs returned to -2.5 up front and nicely toed.

Quite the assortment of iron on the grounds, counted 9 GTR's, 2 Porsches, and a few other fun cars.

Weather may hold off on Sunday for another quick visit to Nurburg...cross fingers.
Old 08-17-2020, 02:51 PM   #260
Tim M

Another trip to Nurburg brought lackluster results thanks to HEAVY traffic. Best of 7:59 which was a surprise.

A positive is my valve spring change seemed successful - no defects and nothing came apart on the 400 mile round trip. Feel much more confident on redline shifts. Only the DOD lifters are a concern...

The alignment worked as advertised...

Another plus was meeting up with another 1LE driver - FNxR3DNECK:

Will wait until the European vacation time has passed for another trip.
Old 09-03-2020, 02:39 PM   #261
Tim M

18 months and nary a tire issue - until this week before a nice 3 day weekend - screw picked up just outside of work. Heard it...turned around and made it home before it got flat on the bottom.

Luckily local race shop can get me in for a tire swap (older 'extra' tires on hand!). Hopefully, it will tide me over until end of season...2 months?
Old 09-03-2020, 05:02 PM   #262
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
I picked up a chunk of what looked like a weld bead that had separated from the host material about three inches long and close to a half inch wide in my R/R tire about an hour into a six plus hour trip.
PA turnpike FTL, you get to pay to drive over trash and junk.

I noticed the pressure drop on the DIC and aired up as soon as I could since I was already down 5 psi, spent the rest of the trip watching the pressure and looking for places to air up again. Had to add air three times, but I only let it get down to 27psi.
After I got back home I pulled the wheel and took it into work and patched it, that's when I saw what was in the tire.
Tires were like a month old.

Been fine ever since, patch is holding. It was too big to plug.
Old 09-06-2020, 05:31 AM   #263
Tim M

Boost Creep: Real unfortunate the newer the tires. I've been in that position...especially back in FL. A nail every 4 months was standard - fortunately, it was spread across more than just my car! Always an issue leading up to track days...

Local performance shop got me in while I waited. Swapped both rear tires for an older set I had. I disposed of one and the other will be a spare - useful with 8 day lead time for new tires (pretty good!).

Old 09-06-2020, 04:22 PM   #264
Tim M

Impressed!

Old 09-13-2020, 02:50 PM   #265
Tim M

Well, the LT1 gave its all...this is on my garage floor:

Appears to be the rear main seal. Not looking forward to pulling the trans...on my back. But, I like to cause my own problems and attempt to fix them.

My second compression tester arrived Friday (the original is in storage back in the states - love buying things twice)...see if the engine is still healthy - currently runs great and obviously still makes great power. Even the mileage is normal with a smooth idle.

I also ordered a oil cap breather (with check valve) from Jannetty to bleed any crankcase excess. We will see how that works.

The car has my new found respect in performance - pretty incredible for a Chevrolet price.
Old 09-14-2020, 07:27 AM   #266
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
Well, the LT1 gave its all...this is on my garage floor:

Appears to be the rear main seal. Not looking forward to pulling the trans...on my back. But, I like to cause my own problems and attempt to fix them.

My second compression tester arrived Friday (the original is in storage back in the states - love buying things twice)...see if the engine is still healthy - currently runs great and obviously still makes great power. Even the mileage is normal with a smooth idle.

I also ordered a oil cap breather (with check valve) from Jannetty to bleed any crankcase excess. We will see how that works.

The car has my new found respect in performance - pretty incredible for a Chevrolet price.
Compression testers are only good for finding a major problem or totally dead cylinder.

What you need is a leak down tester where you can actually measure ring seal and valve sealing.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote