Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-21-2020, 05:39 AM   #1
raidaru

Drives: 2SS
2016 SS rough idle, check engine light on

I bought a salvage Camaro from Copart, big mistake. So, I have the following issues: rough idle(sometimes it even stops), engine oil has a strong gas smell, on acceleration it smokes black,check engine light on and I have the following codes. Where should I start looking?🙈
Attached Images

raidaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 11:51 AM   #2
Puddin

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I'd check your injectors first since your having a rough idle and a strong gas smell.
Puddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 04:39 AM   #3
raidaru

All right, 2day I took off the intake, checked the FPR and FPS connectors, as the fault codes were related to FPS, they're all good......I don't know what could be the problem, also there is coolant in injector seats from bank 2, I can't imagine how did it end up there.......and @ where I live noone ever saw a LT1 engine, let alone fix it.....so local shops are excluded. Who should I talk to on this forum to get a lil more techinical?
Attached Images

Old 08-07-2020, 06:38 AM   #4
Puddin

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Any coolant in the ports of the heads?
Puddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 07:40 AM   #5
raidaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddin View Post
Any coolant in the ports of the heads?
No, just gas smell, as it runs rich af , but I found some interesting info on YT now, some guy had same fault codes on a Impala, and problem was a short to ground of the fps sensor. Now the question is, how many FPS are there and to which one does the fault reffer? I know one is on the rail, one is on the FPR, others I don't know.......
Old 08-07-2020, 12:38 PM   #6
raidaru

All right, did some more testing, on live data I spotted sth strage, fuel rail sensor 1 and fuel rail sensor 2 have different voltage readings, but pressure is the same. Also, where is second FPS? one is at the end of one rail, could it be the second is the one from the FPR?
Attached Images

Old 08-07-2020, 05:35 PM   #7
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
was this thing flooded or something? doesn't copart usually describe what kind of damage it had?

you have low voltage errors on more than fuel pressure sensors it looks like, is there a reason why you are focussing only on the fuel pressure sensors?

If it was a short to ground on a circuit strong enough to pull the battery voltage down across multiple modules then it would fry the fuse and no longer be a short.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 02:28 AM   #8
raidaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
was this thing flooded or something? doesn't copart usually describe what kind of damage it had?

you have low voltage errors on more than fuel pressure sensors it looks like, is there a reason why you are focussing only on the fuel pressure sensors?

If it was a short to ground on a circuit strong enough to pull the battery voltage down across multiple modules then it would fry the fuse and no longer be a short.
The car was not flooded, had a left rear side crash, and the wiring harness that comes from the fuel pumps was damaged and wires were shorting each other but I fixed that problem. Battery on the car was dead, showing 2V. The fact of the matter is that there are more than one FPS, and I don't know to which one does the fault reffer to. There is one at the end of one fuel rail, then another one on the FPR, and I think there's also one near the fuel pumps on top of the tank. A wiring diagram for all the FPS's would be helpful.
Attached Images

Last edited by raidaru; 08-08-2020 at 02:54 AM. Reason: writing mistakes
Old 08-08-2020, 01:52 PM   #9
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by raidaru View Post
The car was not flooded, had a left rear side crash, and the wiring harness that comes from the fuel pumps was damaged and wires were shorting each other but I fixed that problem. Battery on the car was dead, showing 2V. The fact of the matter is that there are more than one FPS, and I don't know to which one does the fault reffer to. There is one at the end of one fuel rail, then another one on the FPR, and I think there's also one near the fuel pumps on top of the tank. A wiring diagram for all the FPS's would be helpful.
Hope this helps.

You'd be much better off subscribing to alldata or another online service manual site for a week or two, who knows what else will be needed for this resuscitation job... good luck
Attached Images

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 02:59 PM   #10
raidaru

Thank you for the diagrams Arpad! The low voltage sensor fault and FPCM fault were due to the 5v wire from fps being broken. But engine still runs very bad and if I floor it engine chokes and dies. It might be from the broken knock sensor which I'll order soon, hopefully that will fix the rough engine run.

Last edited by raidaru; 08-11-2020 at 02:56 PM. Reason: update
Old 09-28-2020, 06:42 PM   #11
AA-AAX

Drives: Camaro 2LT 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by raidaru View Post
Thank you for the diagrams Arpad! The low voltage sensor fault and FPCM fault were due to the 5v wire from fps being broken. But engine still runs very bad and if I floor it engine chokes and dies. It might be from the broken knock sensor which I'll order soon, hopefully that will fix the rough engine run.
Hi
I am having almost the same problem your car had but in a v6 what was the solution for it and was there a problem with your oil pressure because when i start the car it goes rough and the oil pressure is going low and also black smoke coming out of the car when i floor the gas paddle, the car still works but i am afraid of the smoke that comes out.
(Excuse my english)
AA-AAX is offline   Reply With Quote