Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 01-24-2019, 10:21 AM   #29
HogmanZL1

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Convertible
I'm also very new to the scene and have been trying to learn as much as i can. To keep the factory warranty intact, is it correct that you cannot delete the secondary cats as you have shown but must only do an axle back install?

I know the common feedback is ask your dealer but im just trying to understand the differences in the two install options. And on axle back can i still remote the suitcase and be covered?

thanks.. i think i almost got his down. ha!
HogmanZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 10:52 AM   #30
TeleZL1

Drives: 2018 ZL1
If all your wanting is the sound and keep NPP, go axleback.

If you want MORE sound/loud; go catback

If you want even MORE than that.....do secondary cat deletes with a catback.

The secondary cats are not monitored and can be removed without throwing codes if done properly. You do not have to do this, its merely an option.

If you are dead set on retaining the NPP function, that will narrow your options down as far as manufacturer/system you choose.
TeleZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 01:27 PM   #31
Zigg L1

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Garnet Red Tintcoat A10
Anyone here using the ARH full system? Just heard a few clips on an SS but it sounded great. But no NPP options
Zigg L1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 02:58 PM   #32
Stealth7

Drives: Gen V Viper GTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredz View Post
Can't H 2 much,
Excellent explanation. I have been looking for that so I appreciate the info, advice and demo. I now have an idea what to do. Borla s=type is on my mind for the moment.
fred
Fwiw, Borla S Type CAT-Back (everything from after the Secondary CATS/Resonators) gives me ALL of the sound I could want. Deep and Muscle sounding with excellent V-8 sound. Anything more on Wide Open/Heavy throttle and you will be calling the authorities and asking for a ticket! Borla also retains the OEM NPP Sound Valves. I always had Corsa before, but really like the Borla. My only other mod is RotoFab Dry Intake.
Stealth7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:06 PM   #33
hashtag

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10/2018 GT350R #JR603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth7 View Post
Fwiw, Borla S Type CAT-Back (everything from after the Secondary CATS/Resonators) gives me ALL of the sound I could want. Deep and Muscle sounding with excellent V-8 sound. Anything more on Wide Open/Heavy throttle and you will be calling the authorities and asking for a ticket! Borla also retains the OEM NPP Sound Valves. I always had Corsa before, but really like the Borla. My only other mod is RotoFab Dry Intake.
Agreed. It is under 95 DB. I am trying to get a sound clip of my Borla S-Type to the OP. Borla system is Phenomenal.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:36 PM   #34
Stealth7

Drives: Gen V Viper GTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by hashtag View Post
Agreed. It is under 95 DB. I am trying to get a sound clip of my Borla S-Type to the OP. Borla system is Phenomenal.
Do you know for sure the Borla S-Type CAT-back exhaust is under 95 decibels under all applicable circumstances.? That would be excellent!
Stealth7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 06:45 AM   #35
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeleZL1 View Post
Whoa!!!Oh goodness.....lmfao

Thinking the same thing.

Seriously though, very passionate.
He is Senna in Monaco.
Old 04-13-2020, 08:56 AM   #36
Ssvertlife

Drives: 2017 Silver SS Convertible
I stay In ga also. Do you know if we go catless and just get a tune, will we pass emissions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJFGTO View Post
You will not need the secondary cats if you are in a county in Georgia that requires emissions testing. I live in Georgia.
Ssvertlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 10:14 AM   #37
keystonemedical

Drives: 2019 ZL1 / LE , 2014 CTS V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
The ZL1 has a one piece cat-back exhaust. That means anything other than a full cat-back requires cutting of the factory exhaust which you may not care about. The factory cat-back has a set of resonators/"secondary cats" attached to it that are removed when using an aftermarket X-Pipe such as a Borla 60606 X Pipe.

If you get a standalone Axle back, you will cut the factory exhaust somewhere in front of the stock muffler suitcase and clamp there. If you want to keep the valve function, you will have to go with Borla or GT Haus. (IMO the valves are useless and quality exhaust like Corsa or AWE are engineered so well that your foot controls the sound).

Screw all of the "deletes" IMO. That's just chopping up a good exhaust that you could either use to set back to stock or sell to recoup cash spent on a new exhaust. Go with a full Cat-back. What this means is bolts to the back of the primary cats = factory cat-back is removed in one piece and there's no cutting involved. I'll attach a picture to illustrate why, hopefully you find it helpful.

For cat-backs and axle backs, I would recommend AWE, Corsa, and Borla. Look at the options and decide from there.

Here's the picture I threw together a while back. Everything behind the front Clamp and Flange is one solid piece.

Do what this guy says. Dont go cutting up your exhaust just to add a axleback. I know Sworks and AWE make bolt on catbacks. That way if your still under warranty and you make a claim, all you do is bolt the OEM system back on and take it in.
keystonemedical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 10:50 AM   #38
SJFGTO
Oh Oh it's Friday Night!

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE Nightfall Gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssvertlife View Post
I stay In ga also. Do you know if we go catless and just get a tune, will we pass emissions?
It depends on the County in which you live. Some test for emissions, some do not.
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE NFG; ARH 2” headers, catless mids, ARH full exhaust, Lingenfelter 18% lower pulley, ATI Harmonic Balancer, Roto-fab CAI, EE-catch can, TM ported TB, NX Lid, BMR strut tower brace. Aeroforce dual pod interceptor gauges. Tuned by Vengeance Racing!!! 644 HP @ 6250 rpm / 689 trq @ 3660 rpm

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
One says she's a friend of mine...
SJFGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 03:14 PM   #39
VADER332

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE / 2014 Ford Raptor
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHot18 View Post
I put a TB, cold air, Borla Attack cat back exhaust , no check engine light and it runs great.
Best of all warranty is still good.
I will probably go the route you did or something similar.
VADER332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 04:18 PM   #40
nicktechla

Drives: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
so no tune required to remove the secondary cats right?
-- Past --
2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe - Red Hot - A10, PDR - HRE P101
2015 Mustang GT PP - Whipple Supercharger
nicktechla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 05:07 PM   #41
Yessa
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
The ZL1 has a one piece cat-back exhaust. That means anything other than a full cat-back requires cutting of the factory exhaust which you may not care about. The factory cat-back has a set of resonators/"secondary cats" attached to it that are removed when using an aftermarket X-Pipe such as a Borla 60606 X Pipe.

If you get a standalone Axle back, you will cut the factory exhaust somewhere in front of the stock muffler suitcase and clamp there. If you want to keep the valve function, you will have to go with Borla or GT Haus. (IMO the valves are useless and quality exhaust like Corsa or AWE are engineered so well that your foot controls the sound).

Screw all of the "deletes" IMO. That's just chopping up a good exhaust that you could either use to set back to stock or sell to recoup cash spent on a new exhaust. Go with a full Cat-back. What this means is bolts to the back of the primary cats = factory cat-back is removed in one piece and there's no cutting involved. I'll attach a picture to illustrate why, hopefully you find it helpful.

For cat-backs and axle backs, I would recommend AWE, Corsa, and Borla. Look at the options and decide from there.
Excellent advice and agree 100%.
Yessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 08:35 AM   #42
JD64

Drives: '19 Camaro ZL1 A10 Riverside Blue
i have a roto fab cai, soler ported tb, soler throttle control and a borla s type cat back with the secondarys deleted and no tune is requied, no cel, and all the numbers on the scan tool look fine it runs and sounds great. no drone at highway speeds , with the npp opened it has a nice deep sound at idle and normal driving, when you get on it you sure know it is there. my car is a A10 so the decel pop in the exhaust is minimal (to my liking) even with the secondarys gone. i used the awe link pipes to delete the secondarys so i could remove the stock system completely intact in 1 piece just in case for some reason it would need to be installed. the awe link pipes fit perfectly with the borla catback. they mount directly to the primary cats just as the original exhaust did. it is a nice uncut job when done. the left clamp that comes with the awe pipes is the only weak link, i did reuse the original gm clamp in that position. i did search out 4 more original cats just for back up, i believe in having extra parts. just did this all within the last few weeks and have about 150 miles on the set up and i am very happy with the end product for both fitment and sound. i was looking for a more traditional sound as i dont care much for the raspy,popping sound and the s type is pretty close.
JD64 is offline   Reply With Quote