Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 11-26-2017, 09:17 PM   #15
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
all that from a test drive, and you didnt test equivalent trims.

my 1LE breaks necks every day, but you know what I love seeing Mustangs, cuz when i do i know i'm bout to make another owner cry.

i take it back, you did test equivalent trims....the 1LE is far superior.
Old 11-26-2017, 09:24 PM   #16
Zack46

Drives: 2018 2SS Camaro Hot Wheels Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
No surprise you bought the Camaro. Ford had to build a car that cost more to compete. It's not the bargain it once was, so I see sales declining for Ford and increasing for Camaro. Aside from some of the 6th gen Camaro issues, it's seems to be gaining popularity. Seeing more of them everyday on the streets.

2018 Camaro 2SS Orange Crush Hot Wheels Limited Edition
Power Sunroof, 8 Speed Auto/Remote Start, NPP Exhaust
Production Sequence Number 98
NEOCC Camaro Club Member

Former Ride: 2016 Camaro 2LT RS V6 Hyper Blue Metallic
Zack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 09:50 PM   #17
metros11

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
all that from a test drive, and you didnt test equivalent trims.

i take it back, you did test equivalent trims....the 1LE is far superior.
Here's the thing, I live in North Jersey. We probably have 10 to 15 dealers in the 50 mile radius around me. Only TWO have the 2018 Mustang GT 6M in stock, the rest are all waiting for their arrival. And the one dealer I test drove with, all three cars they had were Base GT with the Performance Package, and not even 201a. PS, because of this, there was no negotiation whatsoever. The sales person referred to the $500 rebate as the only means for a discount off MSRP.

Than there's the Camaro, same thing. Shit load of dealerships, and few have a manual SS in stock. So really, at that point it was a matter driving whatever I could get my hands on. Either way, maybe the packages were different, but the mechanical comparison was more or less the same.
metros11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 10:25 PM   #18
L99BEN

Drives: 2023 BMW M4 Competition
Quote:
Originally Posted by metros11 View Post

Butt dyno: This will come as no surprise, they were very very similar in terms of power, but the delivery was definitely slightly different.
The Mustang feels smoother, and has a longer rev range. The Camaro is somewhat brute, but not necessarily in a bad way. Even.

At this point you're probably wondering, when all this nonsense is going to end, so without further adieu... <drum roll>

Verdict: I bought the camaro
I’d expect the camaro to have a bit more of a low/midrange pull compared to less torquey 18 gt?

Did you end up getting the ss or 1LE?

Past:
2022 Tesla S Plaid
2020 Shelby GT500 sold
2019 Hellcat Redeye-traded for new GT500
2019 ZL1 A10 - sold (meh)
2019 Tesla M3P
2016 Hellcat Challenger - A8 sold but never forgotten
2016 Camaro 2SS M6
2014 Mustang GT A6
2012 Mustang GT M6 "brembo" 3.73/FBO
2012 Camaro SS L99 (Wife's)
- slow
L99BEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 11:19 PM   #19
Cgocifer

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE, 2015 RAM Ecodiesel
Good, honest review.

I was dead set on a 2018 Mustang GT PP1 or 2... until I read more into and saw a 1LE. It isn't even in the same league. If my choice was between a Camaro SS and a GT, I probably would have chosen a GT. The 1LE is just phenomenal and looks crazy good too.

That said, I love the cockpit feel of the Camaro and now after owning one, I don't think I would choose the stang. It somehow feels more special than the mustang. Kind of like the difference between the riding position of a sport bike vs a cruiser. On a sport bike, you feel like your part of the bike, on a cruiser, you feel like your riding on the bike. The vis issue doesn't bother me. Took about 15 minutes to get used to it.
Cgocifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 11:39 PM   #20
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
Quote:
I'm giving Ford the credit where due. However, even in those instances where the Mustang was better, it's not as if the Camaro was a distant second. Again, most of my responses peg both either even, or Mustang with a slight edge, I was already impressed with all those aspects of the Camaro to begin with. What sold me specifically on the car is the performance and value. The Mustang is an excellent car, and it's probably the best Grant Tourer you can buy and live comfortably with. But I'm not sold on the overall performance aspect, even in the upcoming PP L2 trim. The Alpha platform is simply better, you get more features for your money, you actually get track related stuff that enhances your experience. The GT PP L2 will be fast, but will it be as fast as the SS 1LE? I don't see it. Because at that point Ford would have to break into the GT350 performance territory, and stepping on the toes of an upcoming legend is bad for business. Then there's the lack of trans and diff coolers. Have they not learned from the GT350 fiasco? I'm not going to track the car all day every day... but when I do eventually take it to test the limits, I don't want to worry about overheating the trans and limping into the paddock after a few runs (or worse blowing the trans altogether) . These are performance cars that sticker over $40K, the coolers should be standard. And then you look at the price. The 1LE is here today, and it's already a performance bargain before the discounts. The PP L2 will be available in the spring (although they're already taking orders) and will sticker at $45,000. So.. not as good of a car (or same car at best) and will certainly be more expensive to obtain. There was one other aspect that ultimately got me into the Camaro. I pictured the rear seats and the trunk of the Mustang to be much bigger, and for it to win over my 'family' side. The advantage in leg room and storage was so slight it didn't impress me. Ultimately you could say I test drove the Mustang to talk myself out of buying a Camaro, but that didn't happen.
Maybe you should include those things in your comparison categories. Right now it reads as "Mustang was equal or better in every way, but I got this Camaro because it was slightly cheaper."
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 08:44 AM   #21
drew peacock
Banned

Drives: 2012 2SS INFERNO ORANGE
imho the gen6 camaro is the greatest looking car ever created..my wife and best friend said the same.
simply jaw dropping to look at..when i test drove one EVERYONE was pointing staring..not one person ever said to me oh nice car when i had that pos mustang..NOT ONE SINGLE ONE.
the s550 looks like a girls car...the camaro is pure beef on wheels.

the mustang fanboys are all trying to make excuses lol

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94060
drew peacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 10:49 AM   #22
Cgocifer

Everyone has different tastes. Can't expect everyone to like the Camaro or Mustang for that matter. Who cares? I like how the Camaro looks, especially the 1LE, so that's all that matters to me.

Not too many people give my car a second look, but I could care less. At cruise ins, it does draw a small crowd, but usually people trying to figure out what kind of Camaro it is. On the street, nobody pays attention. Don't care. It's badass.

Then again, I used to drive around in a fully custom, classic car that broke several necks. Big difference in onlooker reactions. This is a fun street/track car, not a show car. Totally different purposes.
Old 11-27-2017, 05:27 PM   #23
Hasti

Drives: 2017 Hot Red 2ss Auto adrenaline
Quote:
Joystick: The shifter on the Camaro is good, very good. But the Mustang's is absolute butter. So smooth and precise, they've done a great job there. And I found my foot adapting to the Ford's clutch a lot quicker. (Advantage) Mustang.
You are the first person I know who likes the mt 82. every one iver driven is harsh, locks out easy, trash compared to a proper tremec like the Camaro has. That Chinese built transmission is in there for one reason, cost saving.
Hasti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 07:23 PM   #24
glenB

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasti View Post
You are the first person I know who likes the mt 82. every one iver driven is harsh, locks out easy, trash compared to a proper tremec like the Camaro has. That Chinese built transmission is in there for one reason, cost saving.
Ford revised it for the 2018 and is said to be smoother, less vibration and notchy feeling
glenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 08:09 PM   #25
Cgocifer

Quote:
Theres a reason why nearly every prominent Pro Touring car builder uses Tremecs in their builds.
Old 11-27-2017, 10:48 PM   #26
metros11

Quote:
Originally Posted by L99BEN View Post
Did you end up getting the ss or 1LE?
I got the 1SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgocifer View Post
Good, honest review.

I was dead set on a 2018 Mustang GT PP1 or 2... until I read more into and saw a 1LE. It isn't even in the same league. If my choice was between a Camaro SS and a GT, I probably would have chosen a GT. The 1LE is just phenomenal and looks crazy good too.
If I wasn't planning on going to the track, I might have ended up in a Mustang.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyUMad1LE View Post
Maybe you should include those things in your comparison categories. Right now it reads as "Mustang was equal or better in every way, but I got this Camaro because it was slightly cheaper."
Really? I thought it read "Mustang was equal or slightly better in every way as I test drove at limited speeds, but I got this Camaro because it's track ready with far more options than what a similarly priced Grant Touring Mustang offers." Either way, I did get it because it was cheaper. Well technically my 1LE was $1,700 more than the base Mustang with the PP I test drove.

Quote:
I expected that MT82 feel, and was absolutely surprised not to get it. It was seriously very very smooth. They definitely revised it.

Wait, are you saying manual SS Camaros get the Tremec transmissions? This would be news to me. Chevy certainly doesn't advertise it as such.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:58 AM   #27
BrianL

Drives: 2016 2SS, Red Hot, NPP, Nav, M6
Nice write up and congratulations on the purchase! Must be a very different feel coming from a Volt.

Yes, the manual is a Tremec.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 05:43 PM   #28
metros11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
Nice write up and congratulations on the purchase! Must be a very different feel coming from a Volt.

Yes, the manual is a Tremec.
Well the Volt was an entirely different experience from anything else I have driven. With that said, after the Camaro is paid off, the next purchase for a daily is a Bolt.