Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-20-2016, 10:30 PM   #15
Epx998
|Engineer|

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
I was at my Dealer today and I asked my service rep exactly what I can and cannot do to my car and if they cant detect any tuning. I also asked my buddy who does VIP sales for the entire dealer group, while he said some of the dealers are more forgiving than others, they can all detect/see which cars have been tuned.

Q: Can you detect changes to programming, tuning etc..?

A. Yes they can see how many time it has been flashed. If Chevy requests a data dump, they will be able to see it in that data as well. He also said, a lot of customers come in with tuned cars, requesting warranty work and they catch them every time.

Q. What can I do to my car with no warranty headaches?

A: Cold-air intake, though they won't warranty any CEL codes. Cat back exhaust.

The conversation was a bit longer, I was frank with what I will be doing to my car, knowing I risk warranty work.
Epx998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 09:04 PM   #16
WhiteLightening

Drives: 2016 Camaro V6 RS, 2005 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08z51c6 View Post
GM should offer tuning packages like Ford does for the Mustang and Focus. If Ford can do it so can GM.
Agreed sir!! GM NEEDS TO STEP UP, also even on the most base line car, they can a drivers guide cover to hold all the little boos and jazz, we get a bag...
Old 10-24-2016, 07:39 PM   #17
TimsZ28

Drives: '16 2SS, '14 Z71
It is a pitch or he just doesn't know. GM can tell if they want to. Simple as that. Trust me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieRocket View Post
I spoke with a local performance and tuning shop with 2 in-house dynos and they said that "I don't know of any dealership in town that can tell a car has our tune. They don't have our software and for all they know it is a OEM map." Now this goes against everything I have come to experience on the Harley side of things. So what makes this different, or is he just giving me a pitch?

They charge $50 for a base dyno run and $500 for dyno and tune. He said he would apply the $50 for the base dyno run towards the $500 dyno/tune (dropping D/T to $450). They also offer free installation on SW or Kooks exhaust setups as well as $100 off dyno and tune this month. Although he said they will honor that even if the special is running if mentioned.

Another point I'd like to bring up is that he highly recommended the Roto-Fab intake over the Cold Air Inductions. And on that note, he said that a tune is required after installing a Roto-Fab intake...another point I have heard wasn't the case prior.

What are your thoughts and experiences peeps???
Old 10-29-2016, 09:35 AM   #18
BowtieRocket

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS- M6
I figured as much. Don't think I will do any more that intake and catback for the term of my warranty...
Old 10-29-2016, 10:02 AM   #19
bybcous

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 1SS
Gm asked for my computer history before my torque converter was replaced.
Best so far 11.5 at 123 with a 1.83 60ft. BMR lower and upper trailing arms and upper control arms,E85
DELIVERED 12/29/15
http://youtube.com/bybcous " no talking only racing on my youtube"
bybcous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 10:53 AM   #20
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by bybcous View Post
Gm asked for my computer history before my torque converter was replaced.
Yup, the regional service rep is required to sign off on any major power train components when they call in for warranty. And at that time they request that the history be run. In addition, the part has to be held for 90 days to six months and GM has the option to call for the part to be returned and/or inspected by the rep. Standard For all manufacturers.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 11:59 AM   #21
bodysnatcher
Bodysnatcher

Drives: 2017 Black RS
I will do at tune at 36001 Mil
bodysnatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 12:40 PM   #22
EFI Tuning

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodysnatcher View Post
Sounds like a solid reason for plenty of lengthy unnecessary joy rides.
EFI Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 01:48 PM   #23
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodysnatcher View Post
what happens at that mileage?
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 01:58 PM   #24
sub_ETCS_ret

Drives: 2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicul15 View Post
what happens at that mileage?
Warranty
"Submariners are a bunch of intelligent misfits that somehow seem to get along, understand each other and work well together." - overheard from a surface officer explaining to another sailor about Submariners
sub_ETCS_ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 02:09 PM   #25
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
I thought it was 60k?
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 02:18 PM   #26
sub_ETCS_ret

Drives: 2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicul15 View Post
I thought it was 60k?
It's 36k bumper to bumper, 60k powertrain, and 100k anti corrosion.

Tuning at 36001 will still void the 60k powertrain warranty.

He's probably just mistaken.
"Submariners are a bunch of intelligent misfits that somehow seem to get along, understand each other and work well together." - overheard from a surface officer explaining to another sailor about Submariners
sub_ETCS_ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 03:28 PM   #27
DatBrotato

Drives: '18 SS 1LE M6
sorry for resurrecting, but here's a thought.

theoretically there should be a way to backup the stock rom/OS before getting a tune. If something were to go south you could flash/install the old rom/OS back onto the ecu, and the counter would show 0.

But then of course there's there's the risk of bricking your ecu.

Or you could grab a junkyard ecu and use that for your custom tunes, if you need warranty work you plug in the original one.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:24 PM   #28
cmitchell17

Drives: 17 2SS, 8L90, Cam, Heads, E85
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatBrotato View Post
sorry for resurrecting, but here's a thought.

theoretically there should be a way to backup the stock rom/OS before getting a tune. If something were to go south you could flash/install the old rom/OS back onto the ecu, and the counter would show 0.

But then of course there's there's the risk of bricking your ecu.

Or you could grab a junkyard ecu and use that for your custom tunes, if you need warranty work you plug in the original one.
With Global A GM vehicles, GEN 5 Camaro+, any control module is somehow locked to the VIN. I'm not sure how but before a module will talk to all other modules it has to be programmed through GM TIS web service which goes to a server and somehow allows the ECM to talk. So if you got a junkyard ECM to swap in it wouldn't work unless you connected it to GM TIS. I think the subscription to GM TIS is thousands of dollars per year.

I guess if you got a subscription or found someone or got a dealer to flash a spare PCM to your vehicle you maybe could do it? I would like to know if anyone knows any way around this?

With the 2019+ you have this security and any calibration written to the PCM has to have a encrypted digital signature before the ECM will accept it. This encryption is basically impossible to break, but yet GM still has a budget for their racing development programs even though they now have security that makes tuning impossible.
cmitchell17 is offline   Reply With Quote