Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-11-2020, 10:41 PM   #15
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
I have one of the last 2012 GT’s built and it has a MT82. Almost from brand new, I dropped $500 on a MGW race spec shifter and another $700 on an aluminum drive shaft. There are some suspension mods too. The car kicks ass, with zero issues @ 22K miles. The long pedal travel / clutch grab annoys me more than the MT82. Maybe I just got lucky, I drive that car hard, always.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 10:47 PM   #16
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
I have one of the last 2012 GT’s built and it has a MT82. Almost from brand new, I dropped $500 on a MGW race spec shifter and another $700 on an aluminum drive shaft. There are some suspension mods too. The car kicks ass, with zero issues @ 22K miles. The long pedal travel / clutch grab annoys me more than the MT82. Maybe I just got lucky, I drive that car hard, always.

That model year was still hooked up to a solid axle on the gt. They switch over to IRS in 2015, that's when it started raining grenaded mt82s in my opinion... and the 2012s were tick free much more than the newer yotes...
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 10:49 PM   #17
Chutzpah

Well, you could be right... but my brother has a 2015 Gt with 27k miles and his shifts as good as mine without an aftermarket shifter. Time will tell I guess...
Old 06-11-2020, 10:55 PM   #18
drew peacock
Banned

Drives: 2012 2SS INFERNO ORANGE
Cheap made in turkey clutch plate can’t help either
The ac issues alone would make me run a mile from those cars
drew peacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 10:56 PM   #19
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
Well, you could be right... but my brother has a 2015 Gt with 27k miles and his shifts as good as mine without an aftermarket shifter. Time will tell I guess...
It's really unfortunate how the ford bean counters ruined the manual mustang gt. Talk about a car that desperately needed a tremec t56 like the 03-04 cobra terminators...
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 09:42 AM   #20
NeverDie
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew peacock View Post
The issues with those s550s is a joke
I owned one for a year
Ended up hating even looking at it let alone driving it
Fords are junk and best avoided
Same. I had a 2017 GT PP that I traded for my SS 1LE.

In the 7000 miles I owned it (from new) it had the following issues:

-rear axle hop during any sharp turn at low speeds including parking lots (super annoying)
-cabin filled with exhaust fumes every time you did a WOT pull (not awesome)
-MT-82 grinding gears like it thought it was employed at a flour mill
-various electronic issues
-eventually the POS blew itself up when the oil pump failed, was repaired, and then left my stewardship permanently.
NeverDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 09:43 AM   #21
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
But, but the Mustangs are faster and more better
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 09:45 AM   #22
NeverDie
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
From my experience, they are exactly none of those things.

Then there are the overheating/limp mode issues that still persist on the GT350 which also includes the stunning feature of backing it's own oil filter off of the block and coating your brakes then catching on fire. So that's nice.
NeverDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 10:12 AM   #23
drew peacock
Banned

Drives: 2012 2SS INFERNO ORANGE
hood flutter above 90mph is plain scary and should not be happening on a car today.
high speed stability is nigh on a joke..keeping those s550's straight above 100mph is hard work.
i know if a car is good or not having driven over 2 million miles..only decent thing about the s550 i owned was the brembo brakes..the rest of the car was utter junk..on my 2nd gen5 camaro ss and loving every minute of driving it.
oh and that coyote motor lol..below 5000 rpm it's painful to drive.
drew peacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 10:42 AM   #24
Coded4SS

Drives: 2020 1SS 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT58 View Post
I read about it and can only comment how much better I like my current 2016 Camaro than my 2018 Mustang GT. My GT did not have any tranny issues- the tranny actually shifted fine but the engine had a knocking/rattling issue. Dealer did nothing about it after having the car 3 weeks and concluded their diagnosis as "normal" ticking and pointed to the service bulletin.

When i first saw the head line I thought it might be for the engine knocking issue and not a tranny issue.
Had a 15 that would intermittently have a ticking/rattling after cold starts. It never got solved it was too intermittent at the dealer.but did it daily for me. Got over it and bought a Chevy cause I knew GM stood by their warranties.

Haaaaaaa
Coded4SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 10:45 AM   #25
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
I really wanted a mustang before buying my Camaro (low end torque is why I went 6th gen camaro over Mustang) and have done a TON of research. I am a firm believer that the mt82's in 11-17 Mustangs are actually a pretty decent transmission (I know the 18+ mt82's have aluminum shift forks that grenade so I will not talk about those mt82's). What my research has led me to believe is that the main culprit with the shifting issues on those year mustangs is the cheap POS clutch. Once that gets addressed, the car shifts fine, even without the expensive body mount braces and mgw shifters.

The issue though is cost. To fix your mt82 shifting issues "properly", you really should go with a Mcleod RST (not RXT, it grabs too hard and will blow up the trans on a hard launch). Going with that clutch means you also have to go with a mcleod flywheel and slave cylinder. Parts and labor for all that will equal about $1,500 bucks which I personally don't want to spend.

If Ford had put tr6060's in coyote mustangs, you'd see a lot of broken tr6060's. The tr6060 is not a trans meant for high rpm shifting. It is meant for cars that don't rev high, but produce a lot of torque. It is a great trans due to it's high torque capacity and better suited for hard launches than an mt82. That being said, Coyote's don't produce the torque our cars (and challengers) do down low so the mt82 is fine in that car.

I love my tr6060 in my Camaro. I think it's the perfect trans for OUR cars. But I'm pretty certain the tr6060 would not last long if we were shifting at 7,800+ rpm in our cars. Getrag designs some decent transmissions. Ever felt the shifter in a manual BMW? Well they have Getrags in them. The difference is BMW (and other manufacturers) don't put cheap POS clutches that don't disengage properly/fast enough in their cars like Ford does.
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 10:52 AM   #26
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
But, but the Mustangs are faster and more better
I know it's a joke, but still.

Never driven a GT before, would like to try it just so I would like the Camaro more, LOL. It's common knowledge that LT1 will pull harder at lower speed and RPM while the Coyote will have to rev up to get power. As for reliability issues, I haven't heard bad things about LT1 while it seems like Coyote is seeing some issues. It makes sense to me that LT1 is relatively unstressed to make the power it has.

I have test driven an Ecoboost before for a friend, and my buddy used to have a fully loaded Ecoboost. I can see why some people like the interior better but it's around the same level as the Camaro IMO. The handles on the rear seat to put them down are so soft, I was afraid I was gonna break it if I pulled too hard. I wanted to give the Ecoboost a chance but I just never liked it, and it's not just the turbocharged engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m6-lt1 View Post
If Ford had put tr6060's in coyote mustangs, you'd see a lot of broken tr6060's. The tr6060 is not a trans meant for high rpm shifting. It is meant for cars that don't rev high, but produce a lot of torque. It is a great trans due to it's high torque capacity and better suited for hard launches than an mt82. That being said, Coyote's don't produce the torque our cars (and challengers) do down low so the mt82 is fine in that car.

I love my tr6060 in my Camaro. I think it's the perfect trans for OUR cars. But I'm pretty certain the tr6060 would not last long if we were shifting at 7,800+ rpm in our cars. Getrag designs some decent transmissions. Ever felt the shifter in a manual BMW? Well they have Getrags in them. The difference is BMW (and other manufacturers) don't put cheap POS clutches that don't disengage properly/fast enough in their cars like Ford does.
That's interesting. Thanks for that technical perspective.

There is TR-3160 if that helps. In fact, it's already in the Shelby GT350 so RPM shouldn't be an issue with it.

And yeah Getrag makes the V160 which goes in the Gen IV Supra(you know, the last one that's NOT half German). That one supposedly can handle crazy amount of power without any mods other than the clutch.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 01:25 PM   #27
metros11

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeROC View Post
The MT82 kept me away from the BOSS 302. And all the voodoo engine troubles will forever keep me away from the GT350.
Honestly the '13-'14 Boss caught my eye in terms of the American V8 game. I've lusted after one for a while. But as you mentioned, the MT82 simply wasn't going to cut it for me either. When the 6th gen Mustang came out, I paid attention. They kept the MT82, and kept it again when they revised the body style for MY'18. When I was ready to buy, I test drove the Mustang and Camaro on the same day. I have to admit, the Mustang shifter was buttery smooth, but I was well aware of continued issues with the trans. At one point I considered stepping up to the GT350, another car I lusted over. But than the whole overheating trans and diff debacle surfaced, and soon after reports came of the VooDoo eating oil and failing. That was it for me. At that point a base Camaro SS was already far better equipped than any PP Mustang, and the 1LE was running with the GT350s in terms of performance. It was a no brainer. I still love the looks of the Mustang, might get a '16-17 auto convertible GT Cali Special some day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
That’s an interesting perspective. I had always thought 2018 and newer coyotes were pretty mean.
The MY'18+ Coyotes have spray on plasma cylinder walls. I don't know if that is specifically what causes the 'Typewriter Tick' that's so well known, but it's certainly a thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssyellow1 View Post
My 2015 GT made it up to 90K miles with zero transmission issues.

I have a feeling a lot of individuals complaining beat the ever living hell out of their cars.
Isn't that what you're supposed to do with performance vehicles? They're supposed to be built to take the pounding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEornothing View Post
That model year was still hooked up to a solid axle on the gt. They switch over to IRS in 2015, that's when it started raining grenaded mt82s in my opinion... and the 2012s were tick free much more than the newer yotes...
No, the complaints were all there even during the 5th gen production. The hope was that they would put in a different trans for MY'15 6th gen, they didn't.

Quote:

I'm not sure I buy that. Ford put the TR-3160 in the GT350, that's a Tremec as well, and one that is also used on light trucks and vans. Trucks and vans don't build high RPM power like the GT350, they're built for hauling, low end torque. It's a multi-use trans. And there is no issue with the trans in the GT350.
metros11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 02:36 PM   #28
Chutzpah

Quote:
I really wanted a mustang before buying my Camaro (low end torque is why I went 6th gen camaro over Mustang) and have done a TON of research. I am a firm believer that the mt82's in 11-17 Mustangs are actually a pretty decent transmission (I know the 18+ mt82's have aluminum shift forks that grenade so I will not talk about those mt82's). What my research has led me to believe is that the main culprit with the shifting issues on those year mustangs is the cheap POS clutch. Once that gets addressed, the car shifts fine, even without the expensive body mount braces and mgw shifters.

The issue though is cost. To fix your mt82 shifting issues "properly", you really should go with a Mcleod RST (not RXT, it grabs too hard and will blow up the trans on a hard launch). Going with that clutch means you also have to go with a mcleod flywheel and slave cylinder. Parts and labor for all that will equal about $1,500 bucks which I personally don't want to spend.

I’ve owned a lot of Mustangs, and I can tell you for sure, the clutch isn’t the only issue. The mushy POS shifter, at least in my MT82 generation, leaves you wondering if you’re in gear, or for that matter, the right one. 3rd and 5th were the worst. I considered selling the car before the MGW shifter. A single piece aluminum drive shaft, spins up nicely off the line. It reduces lash by at least 50%. I do agree though... the clutch sucks, I may upgrade at some point...