Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-17-2019, 02:11 PM   #1
Katech_Jason

Drives: 2015 Z06
Katech Stage 5 E85 ZL1 puts down 859rwhp & 791twtq

We just wrapped up this Camaro ZL1 1LE with our Stage 5 E85 package featuring the Magnuson TVS2300 supercharger. What an animal! Check out the package here:
https://store.katechengines.com/stag...kage-p669.aspx

Check out the video here:

Blue=baseline
Red=Katech Stage 4 E10 with stock supercharger
Green= Katech Stage 5 E85
Attached Images

Katech_Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 02:36 PM   #2
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
This may be in my future. But I'm not comfortable making an investment like this when the ZL1 oil pump is a potential issue. Have you guys at Katech considered making a version of your blueprinted OEM wet sump oil pumps for the ZL1s LT4 motor?

We need this... Our oil pumps are not reliable and once modded like this package (and well before that) GM wont cover engine damage from a failed oil pump. Let me know, you have a lot of potential customers here who would buy this in an instant, maybe more demand than the PTB. Thanks!
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 02:43 PM   #3
Katech_Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV1LE View Post
This may be in my future. But I'm not comfortable making an investment like this when the ZL1 oil pump is a potential issue. Have you guys at Katech considered making a version of your blueprinted OEM wet sump oil pumps for the ZL1s LT4 motor?

We need this... Our oil pumps are not reliable and once modded like this package (and well before that) GM wont cover engine damage from a failed oil pump. Let me know, you have a lot of potential customers here who would buy this in an instant, maybe more demand than the PTB. Thanks!
Yes, we are researching this. We want to get an exact handle on what is happening and what parts we can replace to cure the issue. The last thing we want is to blueprint a GM pump, not address the root cause of failure, then see failures of pumps with the Katech name on them.
Old 06-17-2019, 03:45 PM   #4
hebert machine

Drives: 2018 zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katech_Jason View Post
Yes, we are researching this. We want to get an exact handle on what is happening and what parts we can replace to cure the issue. The last thing we want is to blueprint a GM pump, not address the root cause of failure, then see failures of pumps with the Katech name on them.
can you get us a better sound clip of the exhaust / camshaft ?
hebert machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 04:55 PM   #5
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katech_Jason View Post
Thanks! Looking forward to updates on this, not a word from Chevrolet on this issue.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 05:24 PM   #6
RDBill
902HP 858TQ

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
Can you give us your personal opinion of Whipple vs Magnuson since you have experience with both? Pros and Cons?
RDBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 05:31 PM   #7
RobbyRocketz

Drives: 2016 Chevy Camaro SS Mosaic Black
Personal experience, the Maggy heat soaks like crazy, had it on my 17 SS 1LE.
Any plans on a similar kit using the 2650 which from what I've seen has superior cooling.
RobbyRocketz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:28 AM   #8
Katech_Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by hebert machine View Post
can you get us a better sound clip of the exhaust / camshaft ?
Sorry, I don't have any more video clips.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:34 AM   #9
Katech_Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDBill View Post
Can you give us your personal opinion of Whipple vs Magnuson since you have experience with both? Pros and Cons?
We are a dealer for both. Both are high quality and we've used them in various applications. The closest apples to apples test we have is two identical LT4s but the fuel was different. On 93 octane E10 the Whipple 2.9L made 876hp. We started to see some depression behind the throttle body. On E85 the Magnuson TVS2300 made 965hp. Both engines had a 103mm throttle body. These tests were on our engine dyno.